"Bomber Memories"

September 25 & 26, 1998

September 25, 1998

Ralph Myrick (51)

TO: Marc Franco (66)

Marc, I had Elane in the 5th grade and Martha in the 4th grade at Jefferson. Boy could those two stare you down with those black eyes. They were two of my favorite little girls. I remember a swimming party that your folks had, either for Elane or Martha, and our whole class went. I was into wine making then and so was your dad. Remember all those grapes he had in the back yard? Dr. Franco and I began to discuss wine making and he was really disappointed in that particular batch. He let me taste it and I swear, it was the finest tastin' wine vinegar that I have ever tasted. I traded him a bottle of my wine, cherry, for a bottle of the wine vinegar. And you know that was the last bottle, I think, that he shared with anyone. The botttle I brought home didn't last very long.

Ralph Myrick

Kay Mitchell Coates(52)(aka Mary Kay Mitchell)

Thanks to you Ralph Myrick for reminding me about the Village FoodStore. Last June I retired from the Richland School District and was working at the Special Programs Add Bldg. I was the only Richland "old timer" there, and was asked several times what used to be housed in the building. I thought it was a grocery store, but could not remember the name of it. It was a bit out of my territory, as I grew up on Williams Blvd. and went to Sacajawea. I only got up by Marcus Whitman and the Village Food Store if I was on a bike ride.

Speaking of bike rides - one of the favorites for Carol Haynes (51) and I was to pack our lunch and prepare for a day long adventure. We would ride our bikes out to the "mole hill" in West Richland, climb to the top, eat our lunch, explore a bit, and ride home.

We also loved to go the the riding acadamey and rent horses for $1 an hour. We had our favorites - knew many of them by name. I do know, even the "fast" ones left the barn very slowly, but when they were turned around to head for "home", there was no slowing them down. I was riding with Nonajean Sterling (52) when we were about 14, and one of the "fast" horses heading for the barn cut through someone's backyard. The clothes line caught me just under my chin and flipped me off the rear of the horse. It knocked me out cold, and when I came to, Nonajean was standing over me asking me if I was dead or alive!! Funny thing is, my brother-in-law Jim Coates, married the daughter of the fellow that ran it all those years. He is still in the horse business, and teaching Jim how to breed and sell quarter horses.

Anyone remember the "Brown Derby's" at the Spudnut Shop? They were soooo good!! A plain spudnut was filled with soft ice cream and then gobs of chocolate syrup was flooded over the top of all of it!! No one was counting fat calories back then!!

Al Parker (53)

Adding to what Jim Russell says: I believe the initial building used by South Side United Protestant Church, sponsored by the American Baptist Convention, was "transplanted" from a military base where it had been used as a chapel. I remember also, as Jim mentions, the Ledbetters who pastored Southside Church and Homer and (Elizabeth?) Goddard who Pastored the Presbyterian sponsored Westside United Protestant Church, the "Seekers" group there, and the ever popular Reverend "Bob" (last name slips me) of the Methodist sponsored Central United Protestant Church.

Regarding entertainers visiting our area back in the early 50's how many remember Gorgeous George the infamous, fancily attired pro wrestler who appeared at the Kennewick baseball park? Some of us didn't think he gave us as good a show as he should have when he toured our area. In terms of "showmanship" he was like the Liberace of wrestling in those days, although Liberace actually came along later. About then also, some of our parents were dancing to the tunes of Joe Banana and And His Bunch at the Oriental Gardens in Kennewick. There was also a popular entertainer in those days who played the Hammond Organ at many occasions, but I don't remember his name.

How many know how Pasco got it's name? Many years before any of us even thought about habitating on this planet, the Pacific Steamship Company had a building and a loading/unloading dock on the Columbia River where the town of Pasco is now. The company's abrevieted logo, PASCO, was painted on the outside of the building so that it could be easily seen by boats bringing their cargos up river. Long before Pasco ever became a town, traders and shippers and others visiting the area, just referred to that docking station as Pasco because that was the name that appeared on the building, and it provided a convenient and familiar reference to the location. As a population began to build, the area was being referred to as Pasco by so many people, that they started getting mail using that name also. When a U.S. Post Office was finally established there, having no other name in particular with which to identify itself, "Pasco" was chosen as the official post office location name. As the sparse population grew and a city became incorporated, the name was never changed.

Millie Finch Gregg (54)

I guess we are proving to the medical community that just because you "mature" and have many "senior moments", we still have an active brain that can remember lots of important information!!

For the class of 54, does anyone remember this event: At one of our sock hops after a football game, Bob Crawford and I started doing the Charleston and the next thing we knew everyone had formed a circle watching us and then started throwing pennies at us! I guess we were the only ones crazy enough to "act up". Happy memories!

Millie Finch Gregg

Art Hughes (56)

Someone mentioned the floods. I remember that one year the softball diamond in the park below the Bus Station was flooded and they had a rowboat softball game. All of the players were in row boats and the hitter had to stand in the boat and hit the ball. The ball floated and everyone had to row the boats to chase the ball and run the bases. Everyone stood up on the banks by the Bus Station to watch.

I also remember Eddie Feighner and His King and His Court Softball team. He had a catcher and three fielders and they played against regular 9 man teams. He travelled all over the world giving shows. He got his start in the Richland American Legion Softball League. He was so good that people encouraged him to turn professional.

Art (Tom) Hughes

Gail Cherrington Hollingsworth (56)

Have had a few more memories.... Reading other entries of Lewis and Clark, and our principal in those days, Mr. Clark, reminded me of the revolving wood structure in 'City Center?' in downtown, where some of the gradeschool students, myself included, performed christmas music while standing in a living christmas tree formation, holding flashlights on the platform... I can't remember if it was just kids from L & C or if more schools were represented. Think I remember doing it more than just one year. Please throw me a lifeline, anyone, are there others out there with a memory of this holiday performance?

Also, about the Campbell's Market on Comstalk, ....it also had a little cutout window in the rear of the store, where we could go and get penny candy... in those days, for a penny you could get anywhere from 3 to 5 pieces.... those days being about 1950, I think. Used to go to the store with my friend, Annette, we both lived just 2 or 3 blocks from the store, and visit a really nice lady in the bakery who would give us broken 'divinity cookies'. Kitty corner from that Market was the home of the Haag family.... one of the daughters, Helen, was a classmate and friend of mine. And as has been stated before, her dad was Principal of Col. hi.

By's burgers.... Since we lived down by the 'ROSE Bowl' and walked to Carmichael and later Col Hi.... we naturally had to pass it and get a cup of our favorite ice cream to eat the rest of the way home.. 'Nuther memory : walking home from the swimming pool, munching on a bag of freshly popped corn.

No one seems to want to stress the downsides of living in the Atomic City, but some of us do have less than happy memories of the Tri-Cities. I have lost my husband, who lived in Kennewick, and my father-in-law, as well as my grandmother-in-law, to Cancer of one kind or another. I have also lost my Dad (who worked as a Machinist, tool'n'die maker, {after being trained by Dupont in Denver} all the rest of his working life at Hanford) and my Mom to Cancer. I have no definite idea that any of these were caused by living in Richland, but I certainly have my suspicions..... I might add, that my father-in-law also worked at Hanford, in the motor pool as a Mechanic.

My apologies for letting this entry be a downer, but the reality is that life is not always pleasant, even in Pleasantville.

Ah.... one more memory, hoping to find just at least one other oldster like myself who remembers..... the 5 and dime perfume.... Blue Waltz.. I still remember the way it smells.... I think... seems to have been something close to the Jade East cologne they came out with for men in the 70s. Everytime someone brings up 'Tangee' lipstick, it reminds me of 'Blue Waltz perfume'.

Jim Russell (58)

TO:Al Parker (53) and Lee (BeegByte)

I, too, remember the term "Bremerton Houses" in North Richland, and that they had come over from Bremerton. (I was not sufficiently aware of the economic downturn to understand WHY these houses were

transplanted...but then, weren't we ALL transplanted? Seems natural.)

Southside United Protestant Church (SSUP), and I think a few other churches, were also building transplants from Bremerton. I know as a regular attender and ultimate member of Southside, I would follow the lines with my eyes where the building was cut to later be reassembled. There wasn't a lot else to do for a youngster sitting in those hard wooden pews during the Sunday sermon.

My favorite pastor at Southside was Rev. Ledbetter, who seemed to have a special rapport with the kids. I also enjoyed visiting Westside (WSUP) on occasion, and enjoyed Rev. Goddard and the Westside kids.

Bill Craddock (61)

I haven't seen anything about a "lengendary figure from the 50's/60's - - "THE SANDMAN" = = that mythical guy in army jacket who harrassed young couples and had sand in his pockets to throw into the eyes of anyone who tried to get at him. I don't have any personal recollections but the memory of lots of "tales" makes me think that there may be some others who do. I remember that there were lots of stories. Anyone have any to share? Was he real? - - or just a myth?

Earl Bennett (63)

Red dot in the margerine bag - an early lesson in taking turns with sisters one and two years younger, but the memory is from South Dakota before we moved to Richland in 1951. Not sure why we wanted the privilege so badly - maybe the same tactile pleasure that makes playing in the mud inevitable for nearly all children. Maybe Richland too, but not in conscious memory. Also, South Dakota was cold enough that the delivered milk bottles would have a bit of frozen cream at the top by the time we brought it in - also had to take turns with this treat.

Celebreties - Bonnie Guitar used to have regular gigs, I think, but that was after I had moved back East. I loved her voice. One of my uncles, I'm told, used to try to sing with her, though probably not invited.

Ron Richards (63)

I've been waiting for more recollections from the outdoor sportsman element (not necessarily the Columbia River submarine race watchers, Kenny W.). One of the best things about Richland from my perspective (among several best things) was the hunting and fishing available at your back door. And finally, a true sportsman writes. Mike Franco's comments brought back great memories of years of carp hunting along the Columbia River. But Mike, if you graduated in '70, you missed the truly great years. I probably did too, even graduating in '63. But it was still fun. Tough competition though, trying to keep up with guys like Kirk Galbrith. He had the quickest, sharpest, three-pronged spear in the west! And the carp were dangerous! One day I was charged by at least a twenty pounder. As it streaked between my legs in a foot or so of brown, muddy, flood water, in a desparate effort to defend myself, I drove my slow, dull, three-pronged spear toward the critter. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for the carp, my spear became embedded in my calf muscle rather than in the carp.

There were less dangerous means of getting carp. At the old ferry landing north of where the water pumping station now exists the boom logs trapped a foamy, frothy collection of bugs and muck on the surface of the water. The carp would come up to this foam, sort of swim upside down for awhile just below the surface of the water, and suck this succulent mass of protein into their massive mouths. It took an extremely talented sportsman to aim a bare hook directly into the carp's mouth as it was feeding away.

Perhaps the most fun was wrestling the beasts out of the old reservoir just west of where the water pumping station now exists. Probably best known for the largemouth bass that the Richland Rod & Gun Club raised there (and which we would catch when the police weren't looking), this reservoir also harbored really huge carp. Occasionally it would be drained to the point where there was only a foot or two of water, together with a foot or two of mud, remaining in the reservoir. When that happened, we would wallow around in the filth until we located a carp partially entombed in the mud. We would then try to grab it by the gills, pick it up, and throw it out onto the ground. Sometimes we were successful, sometimes the carp were successful. One carp in particular, conservatively estimated at sixty pounds, was especially successful. It always ended up flipping us on our backs into the grime.

Well, Mike, I'll bet most of our alumni friends didn't really understand what a large part carp played in the upbringing of those of us who lived along the rivers (you know the Yakima had great carp hunting and fishing, too). I'll also bet they are getting really bored with this. So I won't go into the many related stories, including stories on how carp were really good to eat if you just cut out the red meat; how carp constantly ended up on the roof of Walt Kirkpatrick's garage; and how a sucker ended up in Calvin Gentle's desk and went undetected for several days (some of which stories I of course only know second hand and some of which I am sure we are no longer too proud).

One of these days I would like to hear some salmon and steelhead tales. The Columbia and the Snake were the best in the world for salmon and steelhead fishing and it went very much unappreciated. The damming of the rivers, clearcutting, grazing, and irrigation, all practiced very irresponsibly, have ruined the fish runs and have made the rivers not quite what they were. I did not include overfising as a cause of the ruination of the fish runs. Overfishing is not a cause. Overfishing is (maybe now, was) the BPA's, the Forest Service's, and the logger's excuse (everybody is learning). The run in the worst condition, the Snake River sockeye, was and is not fished at all. The run in the best condition, the Hanford Reach chinook, was and is fished the most. And to think how wonderful we were told the dams would be. Does anyone remember JFK dedicating Ice Harbor Dam? Because of the crowds attending that, it took Carolyn Roe and me at least four hours to get back from that dedication. Although not without its beneftis, as with so many other things, the system of dams would have been better (and still can be better) with a little more thought put into its construction and operation. It would help if Slade Gorton would stop hindering the efforts to restore the fish runs (both on the Elwha River and in the Columbia Basin) and start helping. Whew, was that a political statement? Anyway, think about it, eastern Washington can have all that which it now has, and it can have the fish runs back also.

So thanks for the carp hunting stories, Mike. The river was great. We made the most of it every day (and night - tell us your stories, Kenny W.). And where are the waterfowl hunters? On Wednesdays (which along with weekends and holidays were "goose days") from October through January I was usually so sick I could not go to school. All I could do was barely crawl out of bed and drag myself (and the Hyatts) down to Columbia Park to shoot geese from behind a picnic table blind. It was just like a private hunting club. And where are the upland bird hunters? I know Rob Hills must remember the time when Joe Kaveckis parted his hair with a shotgun blast as a covey of chukars flew up one sunny March day as we were hunting rabbits (and if the opportunity presented itself, chukars) below Badger Mountain. Now for those true rabbit hunters who only shot rabbits from the hood of a car driving wildly through sagebrush late at night with a .22 rifle in one hand and a cool Miller's in the other hand (we knew that game, too), don't be too dismayed at the thought of hunting rabbits with a shotgun. How else could you hunt chukars in March? And speaking of chukar hunting, does anyone know where the best 610 square mile semi-private hunting club was located and what it was called. Dave Simpson knows. His Dad was responsible for patrolling it.

Ron Richards (63)

Max Nicholson (64)


Patty de la Bretonne (65)

Yes I remember when I was very young, the margarine in a bag with the red dot to turn it yellow. And sometime in grade school sugar watering my petticoat. I always wanted a hoop skirt too. Or did I get one? And eating pieces of fizzies, bubbling my whole mouth up, in Sunday school. Mrs. Myrtle Myers had her hands full with us Junior girls. And noticing a big blister on the bottom of my foot from walking across Van Giesen barefoot in the Summer. And walking to the Lutheran Church from Jason Lee to Brownies which I never did really like much, and didn't stay in very long. We made brownies and aprons. Huh... And that funny feeling when you went up to the Jason Lee playground to play -- in the Summer. Also picked cherries from the trees on the school grounds. And walking ALL THE WAY TO WESTGATE grocery from McPherson. And swinging in the Navy hammock in my backyard and singing at the top of my lungs, totally oblivious, until my neighbor Mr. Bryson made a comment to me, something like "you sure do like to sing". I was so embarrassed. And in Jr.Hi, stopping at Marion Perkins' house on the way home from Chief Jo and staying til dark and my Mom would finally call to say come home. And walking to the swimming pool, getting halfway there and realizing Skippy my dog was with me. If I didn't take him home he would end up going in and jumping in the pool. Yeah, I used to go to the Spudnut Shop as a kid, now my Dad is one of the geezers who goes there in the morning. Or at least was for a while. Funny.....

Bob DeGraw (66)

TO: Earl Bennett (63)

My name might be familier because you were in the same class as my brother Rick DeGraw (63).

As for the Flumes, on one occasion a bunch of us went out and were having a great time. Chris Boulange was getting up on the wall and diving in! That had to be a 30' dive at least. Charlie Burke (66) went down and off the end. As he was going down he had his arms straight out to balance himself. When he hit the water he dislocated his shoulder. It was sticking out pretty far and looked pretty bad. We jumped in the car and headed into town and as we were going it popped back into place.

Erin Owens Hyder (66)

Al Parker mentioned Mr. Oldberg and Thrifty Drug. So I have to jump in. My dad was the manager of Pennywise Drug which was part of the Thrifty chain. He worked for Mr. Oldberg from about 1947 until 1968 or so. Mr. Oldberg was from Bremerton and at one time owned 40+ stores. There were several in the Tri-Cities. Richland had Uptown Thrifty, Downtown Thrifty and Pennywise. Downtown burned, as mentioned. Pennywise also had a fire when I was grade school age. The roof was heavily damaged. I will never forget that smell. Spent lots of hours there during the following "fire sale". Pennywise had a coal furnace. It always fascinated me to go with dad when he stoked the furnace. There was also a barber shop and beauty shop attached to the store. And of course, the fountain. I practically grew up in that store. Dad used to go on buying trips for Christmas and bring me the latest in stuffed animals. My collection has only just recently been passed on. Dad left Thrifty when he bought Prescription Pharmacy on Swift. He and "Old Man" Oldberg always remained friends, but he was not easy to work for. My dad was great to work for. I worked summers during college with him at the Pharmacy. He was a great teacher. When dad first became ill, Richard Kuck bought the Pharmacy from him. Richard had apprenticed with dad at Pennywise when he was first out of college. He now owns the Pharmacy which has moved into the new Corrado Building. Mr. Olberg has passed away, as has my dad. Uptown Thrifty dried up, too. Clyde Phelps helped close it down. He had been a drug salesman years ago and helped Mr. Oldberg alot. Clyde died following a car accident he was involved in with my mother.

That is what I know of Mr. Oldgerg and Thrifty Drug.

Penny McAllister D'Abato (67)

Of course we all remember ZIPs and I use to like to go to Artic Circle, Spudnut Shop, Densow Drugs, horseback riding, I always tell my kids how far I use to walk to school (no back packs then) now they can't walk two blocks!!!!

Penny McAllister D'Abato

Mike Figg (70)

Al Parker talked about the soda fountain in Uptown that must have been Rexall Drugs. He mentions going left from the Spudnut Shop and around the corner. If one was coming out of the Spudnut Shop then it would be to the RIGHT! If one was facing the Spudnut Shop then there would be no choice but to go into the Spudnut Shop. Depak Chopra would probably say there is no right or left when Spudnuts are straight ahead. You don't even want to know what Freud would say about going right or left when Spudnuts are straight ahead.

A few people have mentioned Garmo's. Where was this? When I asked my mother about the Campbell's/Mayfair/Lucky question at the corner of MacMurray and GWW she mentioned that she thought it was originally Garmo's. And what about the market next to the Rexall in Uptown. I have very faint memories about it. I remember it being a market but more of a inner city type than the usual Campbell's or Safeway of the day.

I remember well the cesspools and back water that Mike Franco mentioned. I think even before the Kiels and Mathias had a joint dock there was backwater inlet like this in about the same place. Surrounded by weeds and not more than about 1 or 1.5 feet deep. Lots of frogs, carp and an occaisonal dead salmon.

Mike Figg

Susy Rathjen Whitney (71)

Re: Irene Goodnight

I too, had Mrs. Lester, but for 6th grade. I remember the story she told, about how her husband was a war hero. He was onboard a ship, when Pearl Harbor was hit. As I recall, he was below somewhere, the ship was sinking, and he helped other men get out and he didn't make it out himself. Does anyone remember if this is the correct story? As for Mr. Clarkson, I never "saw" a spanking machine, but it stirs a memory.

Susy Rathjen Whitney

September 26, 1998

Joan Eckert Sullens (51)

I was one of the first employees at the Spudnut Shop. I loved working there! Never really cared for the Spudnuts, but loved to make up Brown Derbys. My treat was a small hot fudge sundae at the end of my shift. Good thing I didn't work there too long because I would have become a blimp! Someone mentioned the old Riding Academy. Do I ever remember that place. We'd go out whenever we had some money. I never learned how to ride and always seemed to get the slowest nag.... that is until we turned around and headed for the barn. I was thrown more than once!!

Does anyone remember Mr. Juricich? He taught driving. His favorite trick was to take us down behind the big hotel on the river. As we would start up the grade to George Washington Way, he'd stall the car! Scared the heck out of me at the time, but the training proved very helpful later. He also had a "thing" about girls and their lack of knowledge about football. So he made that part of his class, teaching us all the positions, their duties, etc. At the time I thought of this as so boring, but it really helped since I am married to a football fanatic!

Joan Eckert Sullens

Ralph Myrick (51)

Another memory that came to mind was the bombing range. Gerald Hostetler (51) and I use to ride up Bombing Range Hill to look for unexploted bombs. We found a lot of five pounders. They were smoke bombes. We then looked for agates and found millions of them. As a matter of fact I still have some of them. I can remember sitting on top of our prefab at 325 Rossell Ave and watching the Navy dive bombers practice bombing. I remember another incident that happened before the war was over. Japan was sending big balloons that carried bombs that use the air currents to get where they were going which could be anywhere. There was a balloon adrift over Hanford and I saw Navy fighters shoot it down. They thought it could be one of these bombs. It turned out to be a weather balloon that went astray. I'll never forget that. One not so good memory. As Gerald and I were returning home after a bike ride to the bombing range, we were going down bombing range hill hell bent for leather when Gerald hit a chuck hole (it was a dirt road then) bent the hell out of his frame and skinned him pretty bad. We had to carry the bike all the way back to Richland. Gerald recovered and now is a retired United Airlines pilot living somewhere in Texas, I think San Antonio. The good ole days.

Dick Wight (52)

Subject: "Nurse White murder

Kay Mitchell [Coates (52)] called and then sent me a bunch of stuff on the "Nurse White" murder in '60. Her real name was Edna Burke Wight. She was my stepmother, married to my father in '46 about the time she was released from the Army as a WW II nurse. We lived in Ellensburg and moved to Richland in '48. Dad was a captain on the Richland fire department, later asst. chief and then chief until he retired in '71 or so. He died at Kadlec Hospital in '78 from complications of an infection following surgery.

Edna was the victim of a woman who apparently thought she was entering the home of a psychiatrist name Dr. Such who lived across the street. She apparently went into some sort of rage and killed my stepmother with a knife (never found) and by strangulation. She was never a suspect (as best I know) until she described the murder during therapy in the mid '70's in California, where (I'm told) she was permanently institutionalized. The Richland police told dad, and he agreed that extradiciton and trying her was a waste. The father of Rod Linkous ('53) was lead investigator on the case and died in the early '60's wthout being able to solve it, though he tried mightily. He was my father's friend through it all, which speaks to the senseless rumors that my father was a suspect or involved in any way.

Edna and my father are buried side-by-side in the small cemetary just SW of the "uptown" district. Can't remember the street name, but my most recent visit to the grave site was about 2 weeks ago.

There are much more pleasant memories of my Col High years than this one, and I'd hope it slips away from the Sandstorm web site. It was sensational, shocking etc..... but even worse for those of us in the family. Dad and I loved "Eddie". She was a good person, a great surgical nurse at Kadlec, and a senseless victim of a meaningless crime. One speculator mentioned the theory the killer went to Eddie for drugs. Rediculous. Strong coffee was too much for her!!

Anyhow, Ill share more pleasant memories in the future.

Richard "Dick" Wight

Denis Sullivan (62)

I don't remember all the call letters for the radio station, but I think the rival station (KALE?) to KORD used to advertise itself as: "The station that doesn't run down at sundown". I think KORD's license only allowed it to be on the air during daylight hours.

One of those stations was the first to broadcast in that new thing called STEREO. You had to have two radios -- separated from each other with you in the middle for maximum effect -- each tuned to a separate frequency, probably one AM, the other FM. Between the two of them you got STEREO. Remember how exaggerated the stereo effect was in those days?

Cappy Haines (63)

Do you remember the Columbia River Park MTA (midnight timing association) Does it still function? Cap 63

Don Winston (63)

I wondered when someone would start on the deal with squishing the red dye into the otherwise white margarine. I can remember it being a big family event (was our family just entertainment-deprived?) with myself and my three older sisters. The story I was later told by my parents was that the "real butter" lobby had successfully introduced a law that margarine could not be sold colored to look like butter -- as if anyone would really mistake one for the other after tasting margarine. Remember, this was before Fabio. Anyway, the deal was that if you bought margarine, it had to be that sick white color, with the color introduced by the customer crushing the red dot of color and kneading the color throughout the bag to make the stuff yellow.

I can remember not talking about this publicly, as I was under the impression that people like us who used margarine were somehow 2nd class citizens to those who used real butter. Life was so weird back then -- and maybe now too.

Don Winston

Ron Richards (63)

Subject: Cyprinus carpio

TO: Richard Twedt (64)

It's amazing we all survived the carp wars. BB guns were probably as bad as spears. I just have to look at the scar on my right thumb to remember that. Somehow, someway, hunting the elusive robbin (or maybe the wily sparrow) one day the trigger of my BB gun gashed the bottom of my right thumb and pinned it between the trigger and the lever or some other part of the gun in that area. It must have taken five minutes to free my thumb from that position - all the time while it was bleeding profusely. Fortunately, I was only a few houses from home. I'm not sure I would have made it if I had as far as you did to run.

When I impaled my leg with the spear, it really didn't even bleed. I think I just grabbed a willow leaf and applied it as a bandage and kept on carp hunting (these days they probably would have operated and given me rabies and tetanus shots). I can certainly understand your friends being so engrossed in carp hunting that they ignored your injury. Do you remember their names?

You know, these days we both would have had good class action suits against Daisy, and whoever made those three pronged spears, for defective and/or inherently dangerous products. Probably the carp, the robbins, and the sparrows would have too, but maybe just for inherently dangerous products. I'm not sure that would have helped us a lot, other than financially, but it might have helped the carp, the robbins, and the sparrows.

All I remember about hunting carp across from the riding academey is that by the time I got the news on how good it was all the action was over. Sort of like my first couple of years commercial salmon fishing in Alaska.

Most of our carp hunting on the Yakima was at its mouth - a long, hot, bike ride from home but usually worth it once we got there. On the other hand, I did a lot of carp fishing (not always by design, usually because I could not catch any bass) on the Yakima underneath the West Richland Bridge. That's where I picked up the hot tip on carp being good to eat if you cut out the red meat. It came from an old friend from Pasco who was always there casting doughballs for carp. I think he threw away everything else that he caught.

We actually tried to do that one time - cut out the red meat and try eating the carp that is. By the time we had butchered the poor thing beyond recognition there wasn't much left, certainly no red meat. But it wasn't one of those things that really made your mouth water so we tossed it up on Walt Kirkpatrick's roof (or somebody did) and left it at that.

I do have some riding academy hunting memories - just not carp hunting memories. More like being hunted by a stable guy for hunting on the stable's pasture. But also for hunting gophers with pellet guns there - I think that was the best place around. Did you try that? I think maybe once I tried hunting some wasps there after my sister's head collided with a hive one day as she was riding her horse through the grove of trees at the end of the long path just before you went up the hill towards the Indian graves. Not a nice picture, I think she ended up in the hospital for a week with about a hundred stings.

Ron R.

Gary Behymer (64)

Forgot what little league it was.... American? Fred Van Wyck was the coach of the Desert Inn team. How many years did you put up with those kids? His own son Jimmy Van Wyck(66) was probably the best pitcher I ever saw, at the LL level. Jim later played for the AAA Portland Mavs. It was about that time he met Kurt Russell(?), who got him into movie production.

Donny Smith (63) was perhaps the 'most scary' fellow to bat against. (FAST!) I do remember Cris Fletcher(65) pitching against Lamont Warden (65)... now, there was a mismatch. Cris was 6' 2" at age 12 and Lamont.... well, considerably shorter. Mike Botu (65) probably hit more home runs than most any little leaguer at the time and Don Parsons (64) hit the longest ball I ever saw.

Speaking of Donny Parsons (64), he never played high school basketball but while at CBC, B high school star, Byron Beck (10 years or so with the Denver team) helped him with his game and he played 2 great years of ball for CBC and 2 more over in Montana.

A most greatful thanks to Raymond Stein (64) who epitomized 'Bomber Basketball'. Ray, it was a joy for us to watch you outjump Ted Weirman. 5' 10" or so going against 6' 10"..... you brought us 'Bomber Mania' for 3 years in the 60s. Thank You!

Moving a different direction..... 'carping' was brought to it's heights right behind the boat houses of the Behymers', Charettes, Roaches', Donnells' & Buchanans'. 'The Swamp', or so it became after the river receded in the spring, spawned thousands of those fish. We used to dig a trench to drain the area and catch the minnows. Took a few home to the fish bowl but Mom spotted after a week or so.....

Anyone remember Mark Browne (64-deceased) who was forever spinning the ring on his finger? Mark played a lot of 'jack & jill' football during our junior and senior years.

Matt Crowley (75)

Growing up in Richland was a unique experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

So far I haven't seen anyone mention two old stores that used to be so well-known at Uptown: The Elite Shop and Hughes. I remember my mom had an account at the latter, and whenever she shopped there she'd just tell the sales lady to put it on her account: no exchange of money or credit card ever took place. No one does business like that anymore!

I went to kindergarten at Jason Lee (in the afternoon, Mrs. Horning was the teacher), but like hundreds and hundreds of future Bombers I went to Christ the King School from first through eighth grades.

Table of Contents

Stories House Types