Antique Sewing Machine Resource - Standard Sewing Machines
HISTORY OF THE COMPANY
Located in Cleveland, Ohio, the Standard Sewing Machine Company began manufacturing sewing machines in 1884. Standard was one of the many manufacturers that sprang up shortly after the dissolution of the Sewing Machine Combination of Singer, Wheeler & Wilson, and Grover & Baker. Their most popular model was the Standard Rotary, which was manufactured basically unchanged from the 1880s through 1910s. Standard also manufactured a number of vibrating shuttle models (one sold as the Minnesota “L” and the other sold as the Kenmore by Sears Roebuck & Co.). However, the rotary models were the most popular. The Standard Company was apparently acquired by the Osaan company around 1929 and is believed to have later been bought out by the Singer Manufacturing Co. in the 1930s.
One of the machines which are quite popular among collectors is the Standard Sewhandy portable sewing machine, which was manufactured from the late 1920s through early 1930s. It was based on the larger sized Standard Rotary. Some believe that this model was the basis for development of the Singer Model 221 Featherweight. However, there is insufficient information to verify whether this is true.
--From The Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines, 3rd Edition