In the 1940's there was a plan to build a 35-40 acre artificial lake in this area. Instead, in July 1957 the Sweet Root Park was officially opened. The park covers about two acres of the 256 acre track that Albert Adams sold to the state in the mid-thirties. At the cost of approximately $1000.00 the park was equipped with 16 picnic tables, cement and metal fireplaces, a hand pump and rest room facilities. Some of this work had been started by the C.C.C. enrollees who lived in the park in the mid 30's.
Since then, the State Forest Commission designated 1400 acres of the "Sweet Root Natural Area" in 1970 to be "preserved for scientific, scenic, and educational values" (no motorized activities are allowed). Then in 1979, the natural area was also designated for amphibian and reptile protection (no killing or taking of).