Advice for Active Duty Personnel - Prior to Separation

Step by Step Instructions

Source: Handbook for Military Families, 6 April, 1998
Subject: Advice for Active Duty prior to Separation from Services.

Military and Veterans Associations: (Veterans and Active duty)

These organizations, opened to active duty and veterans, have a variety of programs - many free - that are useful to people leaving active duty.

As an example; The Non-Commissioned Officers Association organizes regional job fairs that draw dozens of employers and hundreds of job hunting military people.

The Retired Officers Association provides a number of publications to help military people with their separation.

The Air Force Association reviews resume for military members for a fee.

The Major Veterans Groups such as the American Legion and The Veterans of Foreign Wars, with chapters in most communities, are an invaluable tool for newly discharged veterans, who can use them to build a network of people who can let them know about job vacancies and employment opportunities.

Professional Certificates: (Active duty members only)

The military has a long-running programs in which people on active duty, receive formal recognition of their skills and training by unions and professional groups. Also, college and trade schools grant academic credit based on military training and on-the-job experiences.

Verification of Experience and Training: DD Form 2586 (Active duty members only)

"Verification of Military Experience and Training" summarizes military training and on-the-job experiences and lists comparable civilian jobs and recommended educational credit. The form may be useful to military persons looking for jobs with the Federal Government and some private businesses that work closely with the government.