The Pantheon is composed by yours truly in a purely subjective attempt to speak for some of the overlooked masters of the cinema, ones which aren't given proper representation on the Net.
Keep checking back! Links are always being added -- and please, if you know of any interviews, essays, reviews or just plain stuff on the net about ANY of the filmmakers in The Pantheon, please contact me and let me know!
What's New at The Pantheon?
What is cinema?
So far, The Pantheon looks like this:
- Jean-Luc Godard, without whom cinema simply could not exist.
- Robert Altman, who finally brought sound to the cinema some 40 years after the technology was invented.
- Michelangelo Antonioni, who brought cinema out of the dark ages into the world of modernism.
- Ingmar Bergman, a cinema of identity and spirituality which questions who we are.
- Francois Truffaut, mixing melancholic nostalgia with hope, joy, and above all else, love.
- Robert Bresson, with his silent, bleak, sparse, and altogether absorbing cinematic vision.
- Jean Renoir, with his flowing lyricism, wit and charm.
- Werner Herzog, giving marginal society its rightful place in the cinematic light.
- Abbas Kiarostami, simplicity couched in the search for human depth.
- Eric Rohmer
- Benoît Jacquot
- Chantal Ackerman
- Guy Maddin
- Rob Tregenza
- Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- Maurice Pialat
- Jean-Pierre Bekolo
- Anne-Marie Miéville
- Michael Haneke
Here's what's new at The Pantheon!!
August 5th: I discontinued my newsletter because of lack of interest...
June 18th: The make-over has begun...!!!
June 16th: I promise a full make-over soon . . . honest!!!
June 15th: Some more great links on the Godard page
"The Pantheon" was born on June 8th, 1996, and last updated August 10th/98
"The Pantheon" is maintained exclusively by firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions (film reviews, essays, comments) as well as any information to various links are more than welcome!
hits since March 25th, 1998
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page