“To the Confederate veterans of
There are 4 cannon balls, one on each corner and crossed flags with the
1861 1865 between the flags. On the left side:
Erected 1913 by Conyers Chapter # 760 U.D.C. It is
located on the
lawn of the courthouse on Court Street
The Conyers Chapter # 760 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.
It stands in Central Park. A soldier standing at rest is on top of the monument holding his musket in both hands. Below him are two crossed muskets and below the muskets it reads, "To the Confederate dead of Newton County their gallant herodic deeds like monumental shafts arise from out the graveyard of the past, and mark the tombs where valor lies."
While this monument is erected in memory of Confederate soldiers and the sacred cause for which they contended it is intended to commemorate the noble women whose fearless patriotism and subline lives, heroic and self-sacrificing service enhanced the holiness of that cause and prolonged the struggle for its supremacy by inspiring its champions with increased ardor and enthusiasm and gallantry in their contest. No sordid or mercenary spirit animated by those to whom this monument is erected or inspired the men who bravely fought and the women who freely suffered for it. Its final failure could not dishonor it nor did defeat estrange its devotees. "When marble wears away, and monuments are dust, the songs that guard our soldier's clay, will still fulfil their trust."
Source: Monument and Historic Southern Monuments
The Covington Chapter #23 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
This Handsome Monument is a statue of Alexander H. Stephens.
Member of Georgia
House Of Representatives, 1836 to 1840, Member Georgia State Senate 1842,
Member United States House of Representatives 1843 to 1859, Retired from Congress, 1859,
Vice President Confederate States, 1861 to 1865. United States Senator Elect from
Georgia, 1866, Member United States House of Representatives, 1873 to 1882. Governor of
Died in Atlanta, Ga. Sunday morning March 4, 1883.
“Constitutional View of the War Between the States” and of a Compendium of the
History of the United States from the earliest settlement to 1872.
On the back of the
Monument. " Throughout life a sufferer in body, mind, and spirit, He was a signal Exemplar of
Wisdom, Courage, Fortitude, Patience, and unweaving Charity. In the decrepitude
of age, called to be Governor of the state. He died, while in performance
of the work of his Office, and it seemed fit, that having survived parents,
Brethren, sisters, and most of the dear Companions of youth, He should lay
his dying head upon the bosom of his people.
On the East Side of the monument,
The Great Commoner the defender of civil and religious liberty.
“He coveted and took from the
Republic nothing Save Glory.”
NON SIBI, SED ALIIS. Erected 1893
Cusseta is twelve miles south of Columbus. The town’s name is derived from a Muskogean Indian word meaning "trading place." A small village called Sandtown when it was made the seat of the newly created Chattahoochee County in 1854. The following year, the town was named for Kasihta, the largest of the Muskogean Indian trading towns which was formally near by.
To Our Confederate Dead, 1861-1865
On the back they struggled for constitutional government as established by our Father and left to prosperity and record of honor and glory more valuable than power or riches.
Erected April 26, 1896 under the auspices of Randolph Camp 465 UCV and the Ladies Memorial Association of Randolph County.
On the soldiers left (inscribed) let the glorious record of our soldiers and the sacred cause for which they fought is kept ever fresh and green in memory’s waste.