In order to locate these graves, members of the U.D.C. Chapter made a survey of Westview Cemetery, (Moultrie). At the same time 200 other Colquitt County citizens canvassed 44 rural cemeteries. They secured information from gravestones of all men born prior to 1851. This was submitted to the Chairman of the Committee for marking Confederate Graves, who by using pension records, county histories, etc. was able to establish the Confederate Service Records of 175 men. Certification was also given for 20 others known to have served, but whose military records could not be located. (Since 1961, several of these missing records have been found.) In the "Roster of Confederate Soldiers", the notation "Iron Cross" indicates that one was placed on the grave of the veteran listed.
The Cross is Maltese (formed), 12 inches across, mounted on an 18-inch stake. It is made of iron, generally painted black, bearing on one side a garlanded Confederate flag and the letters C. S. A. on the other side the inscription Deo Vindice, 1861 – 1865. Deo Vindice "With God as my Avenger" It is placed at the foot of the grave of a Confederate Veteran.
She wears draped garments flowing, holding a trumpet in her right hand, a scroll in her left hand.
Placed on a rugged three tiered pedestal in the center of Soldiers Circle.The monument was donated to Thomasville Chapter by the Ladies Memorial Association of Savannah.
Judgement was originally on the top of the Savannah Confederate Monument.The Savannah ladies upon viewing the monumnet considered Judgement inappropriate for honoring our Confederate soldiers.
Located on the lawn on Court House Square, in the center of town, is a draped obelisk, "In memory of our confederate soldiers of Thomas County Georgia, who died during the war 1861-1865 Erected by Ladies Association 1879."
"The bivouac of the dead".
Embossed on the side, upper level, the Georgia Seal. Below is an array of muskets, Bayonets and cannon balls. Beneath that is the Great Seal of the Confederacy.Unveiled 10 June 1879.
The names of the soldiers are listed around the wall of the monument .
These names will be provided upon request.This chapter of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
April 26, 1896."
To the left side of the monument it is engraved and erected by the Charlotte Carson Chapter #1140 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. On the back it reads:
"Erected by the Toccoa Chapter Daughters of the Confederacy 1922".
On the back it reads:
The Historical marker reads: