The Watkinsville Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy in inactive.
On the left it reads “Men of Wilkes! Know through all times that they fought to maintain a just Union; to defend Constitutional Government to perpetuate
American Liberties, and left you their patriotic spirit.”
On the back is inscribed "Lord God of Host be with us Yet, Less We forget, Lest We forget,”
On the right reads “ On Fame’s Eternal Camping ground Their silent tents are spread, and Glory Guards with Solemn round The Bivouac of the Dead.”
The Last Cabinet Chapter #295 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.
“On this site stood the old Georgia State Bank building in which
President Jefferson Davis held the last official meeting of the Confederacy May 4, 1865.”
President Jefferson Davis Adj. Gen. Samuel Cooper,
Post Master John M. Reagan Nav. Purch. Agt. C. E. Thompson,
Sec. Of Navy Stephen R. Mallory Mil. Adv. Gen. Braxton Bragg,
Sec. Of War John C. Breckenridge Com. Gen. I. M. St. John,
Q.M. Gen. A. R. Lawton
Pro. Sec. Burton N Harrison,
Aide de Camp Col. J. T. Wood
Aide de Camp Col. Lubbock Ex Gov. Tenn.,
Aide de Camp Col. Wm. P. Johnston
At this meeting the Confederate Government was dissolved. The last official papers were signed, the residue of coin and bullion were brought from Richmond was disposed of by order
Of Pres. Davis and both civ. And military officials separated to make their escape. Erected by
Last Cabinet, Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy Washington, Ga. 1938.
The impartial enlightened verdict of mankind will vindicate the rectitude of our conduct, and he who knows the hearts of men will judge the sincerity with which we have labored to preserve the government of our fathers in its spirit." By Jefferson Davis.
On the right side inscribed are these words,
" Eternal right though all things fail, can never be made wrong. Many of whom gave all and all of whom gave much."
The Monument was dedicated in 1910 and was built by subscriptions of money from school children, merchants and townspeople. A stonecutter sculptured the magnificient statue.
In the upper right hand corner the young soldier is Alexander Campbell Lanier 1848-1884 as a 16 year old school boy was one of the defenders of Ft Tyler. Lower right is General R. C. Tyler
THE BATTLE OF WEST POINT GA.
April 16, 1865
Dedicated to the memory
Brig. Gen. Robert C. Tyler
Fort Tyler Association, Inc.
Dedicated April 18, 1998.
On the north side of the monument it reads: "Fort Tyler Chapter U.D.C." On the south side is a Laurel wreath and crossed guns. On the east side it reads: "A tribute of love from the women of the south to the heroes of the Confederacy." On the west side reads: "Marble shall be the memory of the Confederate patriot in whose life and fidelity to principles found loftiest expression." Dedicated May 23, 1901.
Originally unveiled at the corner of 8th Street and Avenue C, 23 May 1901.
The monument has been moved to the site of Fort Tyler.
Ft. Tyler was of earth work construction. 35 yards square surrounded by ditch 12 ft wide 10 feet deep and enclose by wooden abatis. The fort was erected to protect the important railroad and wagon bridges across Chattahoochee river this point.
On Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865, one week after Gen. Lee surrendered at Appomattox , Union Cavalry captured Fort Tyler. The garrison of two 265 Confederates~remnants of Point Coupe Louisiana and Waittes’ S. C. battery~aided by boys and convalescent Confederate soldiers~withstood the attack of 3,500 Federals before capitulating late in the afternoon. The Confederate forces were commanded by General R. C Tyler, Col. J. H. Fannin, Captains Gonzales, Trepanier and Webb; Lts. Montgomery and Mc Farland units of 2nd and 4th Indiana, 7th Kentucky, and 1st Wisconsin commanded by Col. O. H. LaGrange formed part of American forces. Here Mrs. Griggs and other West Point women gave aid and shelter to wounded of both armies after the battle. This monument is on tenth and sixth Streets.
Winder-Joseph E. Johnson Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy is inactive.