Talking To Myself- Part 11 of 100 yrs of Solitude (Races condemned to 100 yrs of solitude do not get a second opportunity on earth)

By: Isabelle

-Disclaimers: Title belongs entirely to Gabriel Garcia Marquez--just borrowing it for the sake of the story. Buffy, Spike, Whistler and all the memories belong to Joss and his crew. All other characters are entirely mine.

-Summary: Series set 100 yrs after "The Gift," Season five finale. This is part AU and futuristic. Spike has been alive for 100 hundred years after Buffy's death. Whistler comes to him to let him know that Buffy has been summoned to fight a new evil. Therefore she will be brought back to life and needs a "guide". When Buffy wakes she finds that the only one to cling to is the only person left from her past. This is a B/S fiction.

-Rating: Overall rating of series is R. (Language and Violence)

-Spoilers: I will mention everything that has happened through "The Gift".

-Distribution: The only people that have permission to post these series are those who already archive my fic and have asked me for permission. If you want to post it please ask me. I'll be happy to let you. I just want to know where my fic goes.

-Author's Note: I adore Feedback, so please let me know what you think of the story so far! bih80reviews@yahoo.com

-Special Thanks: Nmissi and Wendy for BETA reading this and their awesome feedback, Karla for listening to me rant, and One Good Day group--may you be blessed with many chocolate covered naked Spikes! Thanks for all the reviews!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is the door shut?"

Felipe gave the iron door one last tug. It was impenetrable. He turned back to the blond and nodded.

"Good, let's begin then," Spike said, taking the last chair at the end of a long rectangular table. There were only five people in particular ever permitted in this room. Right now, there were only four present: the vampire, the slayer, felipe, and the watcher Sammy. They all settled themselves at the table. The slayer sat at the vampire's right hand. With his left he reached out to an ancient looking red phone. He pulled dusty cobwebs from the receiver.

Buffy arched one eyebrow and looked at the phone skeptically. "This is a hundred years of scientific advancement?”

Spike glared at her. "This is a completely secure line. No one can hack into it. Not even the government knows we have it."

She smirked at him. "So where do you keep their numbers? On your very modern Palm Pilot?"

Spike took am unnecessary breath and looked at her. "Can we begin?"

"Whenever you're ready," Buffy said, pointing at the phone.

"Oh, thank you, so kind of you,” he said flatly.

"Enough! Let's begin." Sammy demanded from his end of the table.

Spike nodded and picked up the receiver. Bringing it to his ear he dialed the first number--07.

They all waited. Buffy was startled to learn that the phone was on speaker so that the entire room could hear the call. Three rings, and no answer.

"Pick up, you pillock," Spike murmured.

Finally on the fifth ring a groggy male voice answered. "Somebody better be dead!"

"Somebody is dead!" Spike replied. There was a shuffle on the line.

"Baby, who is it?" a woman’s voice came over the speaker.

"Shut up, mami, this is business," the man’s voice responded. Buffy looked at Spike questioningly. "Spike-my-man, is that you?" the male started. "You know what time it is in L.A.? This is not cool, man."

"It's exactly 4:15 AM. So rise and shine darlin', time to kick ass." Spike said standing up.

"You serious? Holy Shit!"

"Mario, listen. I need you in Bogotá in forty-eight hours. So shag the bitch a couple of more times, get drunk and then get your sober ass over 'ere." Spike looked back at Buffy. "This is serious. Get your Nicaraguan ass down 'ere."

"Sure, man. Anything else?" asked Mario on the line.

"Yeah...bring some Chinese food." Spike hung up and the line went dead.

"Interesting," Buffy said.

"Right, a real page turner," Spike retorted.

"So this is whom the world depends on." Buffy eyed the red phone.

"The kid's the best at what he does," Spike insisted.

"And what is that? Being clueless?" She asked innocently.

Spike simply scowled at her and picked up the phone again. This time he dialed 08. The line was answered before the end of the first ring. "Hello, Spike. How are you sweetheart?" A sensuous female voice came over the speaker. Buffy frowned.

"‘Ello Zeta. Good to see you’re in shape." Spike smirked as the woman laughed.

"Well, you know me, darling. Always know what's going on." She paused. "We have a new slayer?" Spike replied in the affirmative. "I suppose you're going to say ‘Be there in forty eight hours. It's important,’" she chuckled.

"You got it, pet." Spike smiled.

"No problem. Gotta do my hair first," Zeta replied.

"Good. I'll see you then?" Spike asked.

"You know the answer,” she said in a low tone. He was about to hang up when

she spoke again. "Oh… and Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't put me on the damn speaker--I hate that speaker."

Spike laughed softly as he lowered the receiver into its cradle. He glanced over at Buffy. "You didn't let me do my hair," she remarked innocently.

"Ha, bloody, ha,” he replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the sixth ring it was finally answered.

"The Master's residence." A shaky voice answered the phone.

"Tell the 'master' that the master is on the line." Spike said as he twirled a pen on his finger.

"Master Spike?"

"Put Troll on the line, Jacob. How much is Troll paying you to call 'im master?" Spike asked curiously.

"Nothing sir. He is a master," There was a pause as Spike cleared his throat. "Ok fine, twenty extra a week. You want to talk to him or not?"

"Put 'im on the bloody line." Spike roared. Buffy giggled as she heard the minion scurry off in fright.

"Poofter." Spike mumbled under his breath.

"Is he a vampire?" Buffy asked.

Spike placed his hand over the mouthpiece. "A Wizard."

Buffy's eyes went wide and she nodded impressed. "Those are always good to have around."

"Spike?" the chilly older voice asked into the speaker.

"‘Ello old boy. Ready for some action?"

"Say the time, say the place and I am there, master," Troll said eagerly.

"For Christ's sake, stop calling me master!"

"Yes, Master!"

Spike growled into the phone. "Be in Bogotá within 48 hours and bring all that hocus pocus you carry around."

"Yes, Mas...I mean Spike. I'll be there, you can count on me, whenever you..." Spike hung up on the all too eager player. Buffy suppressed a laugh. Spike turned to look at her, his eyes narrowing. "What?" he barked at her.

"Nothing...master.” With that the whole group began to laugh. Spike growled at them. "Bloody Bongara demons."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two rings and a pickup.

"These are the offices of Lui Incorporated. How may I direct your call?" the operator asked.

"Lucy Tao," Spike responded.

"Right away, sir."

"Thanks," Spike muttered.

"Have a good day!"

Spike frowned. Everyone was way too happy for his liking. There were three more rings before the line was answered. An accented female voice came on the speaker.

"Lucy speaking," she said.

"Luv, do me a favor," Spike said, smiling. "Tell me what you're wearing?"

The line went dead. Spike looked at the receiver in shock. "Still see that you have your way with the ladies,” said Sammy, reclining back on his chair.

All the occupants in the room jumped as the phone rang. Spike stared at it as if it were a barking dog. Finally Buffy reached over and picked up the phone and shoved it at him.

Spike began tentatively but was cut off by an angry female voice. "Under section 569.21 of the Player's Handbook, third paragraph from the bottom it clearly states the government's view on sexual harassment in the work place. Cross that line again, Batman, and the only players you'll be watching will be the Yankees loosing the pennant."

Spike smirked. "So you recognized me?"

"Well, let me see. You're the only idiot who calls a computer hacker from an unauthorized line that leads straight to Columbia- “Hi! Sammy!”- then has the iron balls to ask a woman with PMS what the hell she's wearing. So I would say, 'yeah, I know who the idiot is'. Does that answer your question, 'pet'?"

Buffy loved this woman.

"Lucy, that's no way to talk to your boss."

"Really? I didn't read that in the handbook. Cut the chitchat, Spike. When and where?"

Spike sighed. "Bogotá, forty eight."

"See you then, deadboy." she paused "And Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm naked." The line went dead.

Spike stayed with the phone at hand.

"Well, so much for sexual harassment." Buffy said taking the receiver and placing it down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

//RING//

//RING//

"Ma, ah heard ya!" The man's voice said into the phone.

"I ain't your bleedin' mother, Dalton," Spike hissed at the man.

"Spike! Well ah’ll be damned!" he said "How ya doing, son?"

Spike massaged his temples in frustration. "Whatever happened to the professionalism?"

"Sorry 'bout dat. I liked to git carried away hearing yuh voice. Lawd knows I ain’t been called in a long time.”

"Thanks for the sentiment, Dalton," Spike said sarcastically. "Now, listen up."

"Ah' m all ears, man.”

"I need your big black ass in Bogota. You've got forty eight hours get your shit together, do whatever you need to do, just be on time." Spike hissed into the phone.

“Forty-eight hours? Guess I oughta git in a lil bit a good home cookin’ afor I go. Lawd knows what shit you be feedin us there. Ain’t you got no woman to cook for you yet? Shee-it. You jes’ about as skinny as a twig." He laughed on the other end, and Buffy couldn't keep herself from smiling. She already liked this man immensely.

"You know it, mate. Now remember--forty-eight. Not sooner not later, understand?"

"Ah sure does."

"Good, and Dalton?"

"Yeah?"

"Bring me some of that ‘home cookin’."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, one last one," Sammy said, flipping through his notes.

Buffy was completely enjoying this. These people were so normal, yet completely aware of the seriousness of their entire situation. They reminded her of her friends from so long ago.

Spike was pacing the room and smoking two cigarettes at the time. Buffy looked over at him curiously. "What's wrong?" she asked, concerned.

"Nothin' wrong, why would anything be wrong?" he asked, snapping out of his trance.

"Well, considering that you're chain smoking and pacing I would say something's on your mind." She leaned back in her chair.

"Right, just a bit tense, that's all." Spike said. He stubbed out his cigarette on the cement floor.

"Who's left?" Felipe asked his father.

Sammy took a deep breath and looked at Spike. "Loret."

Something in the way that Sammy said the name made Buffy uncomfortable and almost dreading this woman.

"Right. So call her Sammy," Spike said almost blending into the shadows of the room.

Buffy arched her eyebrow at him. Something was definitely off.

"What, are you joking Spike?" Felipe intervened. Sammy stopped him and looked at the paler- than-usual Spike.

"We can do this later, amigo," Sammy suggested.

"Who's Loret?" Buffy finally asked.

"She's a....well she's kinda...you see the thing is..." Spike stuttered.

"She's your ex?" Buffy asked, trying to help him finish the sentence.

Spike looked down at the floor. "Yeah."

"I see," Buffy had found out in the past few days more than she cared about Spike's multiple partners.

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room until Spike finally took a took a deep breath, sat down to pick up the phone, and dialed her her number: 666. On the fourth ring it was answered.

"This is Loret, sex goddess. What part of your body may I kiss today?" the sultry female voice said into the phone.

Spike exhaled, "My ass."

There was a silence on the line and Buffy braced herself.

"Spike??!!" she cried.

"'ello, pet. How...."

"You've got a lot of balls calling me here! You son-of-a-bitch!!"

"Pet, listen."

"Don't you dare 'pet' me!! Take your fangs and stick 'em up your ass."

She hung up. Buffy stared at the receiver in Spike's hand. He was annoyed and embarrassed. She could only imagine what he had done to make this woman so angry. Spike took another breath and dialed the diabolic number again. It was picked up before the first ring even finished.

"Listen blood breath, you're probably calling me to help you save the world. Well newsflash, white cardboard, I don't play anymore. I quit!!"

"You can't bloody well quit, Loret. This is business," Spike roared, as he stood up.

"Well it's always business with you, isn't it, William. Well I have two words for you darlin'; fuck and you."

"Don't you dare hang up!" Spike hissed so dangerously it even made Buffy shiver. She went silent. "Do you feel better after your insult-the-Spike-parade?” he asked. He didn't wait for her to answer. "I am serious Loret, get yourself and the wardrobe that I bought you to Bogota in forty eight hours."

"You can forget about it, Spike. I am not showing, you ca....."

"Tatiana was murdered."

She went silent. "When?" asked a tight voice.

"Couple of days ago." He paused. "You're going to cooperate or not?"

The room went so quiet Buffy could almost hear her own heartbeat.

"See you in 48hrs." She hung up.

Spike let out a sigh of relief. "Well, that went well," he muttered under his breath.

"Yeah, definitely," Felipe said nodding. He avoided Spike's gaze. Buffy snorted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The smell coming from the well-lit kitchen was intoxicating Buffy's nostrils. It was rich and heavy, filling the large patio behind the large kitchen where Risa and her mother Lourdes worked on the stew. Buffy thought about her mother. Mom had liked to cook, but never had she cooked like this. Lourdes took the vegetables from the small garden out back. The plot was small, but incredibly varied. There was fresh corn, cilantro, achiote, potatoes, yams, cabbage, pumpkin, and more green and red vegetables she couldn't pronounce. She couldn't stop herself from asking questions.

Now she watched as the elder woman tossed diced green vegetables in a wooden vase. Buffy was eager to know what it was called.

"This is a pilon. It is used to crush the greens and extract their juice to add flavor to the guiso," The white haired woman explained, smiling at Buffy's eagerness.

Buffy was confused. Pilon was a hard enough word but now she had another. "What's a guiso?"

"A guiso is a stew. But not your regular stew. This has everything from pig’s feet, to mashed plantains and lots of viandas."

"Okay…what's a vianda?" She asked.

"These are viandas. They are South American potatoes and yams. They taste different and are boiled instead of baked. You eat them with tuna and in stews. The little ones love them. Hardly any taste but filled with nutrition." She smiled.

Lourdes began pounding the pilon and Buffy watched in wonder as she brought the wooden stick back and forth and crushed the greens inside the wooden bowl.

This entire world fascinated her, the mere scent of it was intoxicating. She had noticed that the women had round plump bodies that the men loved. When Risa first saw her, she’d commented that she thought Buffy didn’t eat. But when she told the woman that she did eat, she just had to watch her figure, Risa had laughed at her. She’d said something along the lines of "los hombres le gusta la carne" (men like meat). Buffy had flushed three shades of pink when Spike told her what it meant. Damn. Back home she was too fat, here she was too skinny. This entire situation was complicated enough, without bleeding over into worry about her dress size.

Watching Lourdes beat the greens she began to smell the aroma coming from the wooden bowl.

"Smells good, no?" the woman asked. Buffy nodded. "Do you want to try?” the woman asked, holding out the bowl.

Buffy's smile fell and she shrank away. The most she had cooked at home was an occasional waffle, but those came pre-made--the frozen variety. She remembered the disaster that Thanksgiving--no one had mentioned it but she knew the Turkey was drier than the Sahara and the gravy was rejected even by Spike. She shuddered.

"No thanks. I think it's better if I watch."

"Don't be afraid. Come. I'll teach you," the woman insisted.

Buffy was not about to be rude to the people who were offering her such hospitality, so she reluctantly took the wooden stick from the woman's greased hand. Just like a stake. She thought.

"Now you hold the bowl with your left hand--securely so it won't move, then you bring down the pilon and smash the greens gently but firmly. Remember your strength and know when to use it. If you use the strength of the slayer--you'll break the wood. Gently but firm, like a woman should be," she said, as she stepped back and allowed Buffy to prepare the condimentos.

"Gently but firm," Buffy repeated as she brought the pilon down and crushed the vegetables. She almost closed her eyes, afraid that she had broken the family tool. But to her surprise she didn't. Not only did she not break it, but now she was moving in a steady pattern, crushing the recado, garlic and oregano beneath the stick.

She smiled at her success. "I am cooking," she breathed out.

The woman laughed gently. "I learned how to cook when I was seven years old. Papa always insisted that a lady should know how to cook for her husband." She began, dicing the onions next to Buffy on the outdoor counter. "But I didn't learn to cook for my husband--I learned to cook for my daughters."

"But I thought that Risa was an only child," Buffy said conversationally.

Lourdes smiled and got a far away look on her face. "My other daughter, Alexandra. She was a slayer, like you. She died young at the age of 28."

Buffy stopped what she was doing and stared at the woman in shock. "Your daughter was a slayer?"

"Yes. And when she died my husband and I spent the rest of our lives working for the council, who is now William."

"You're the mother of a slayer," Buffy re-stated in awe.

Lourdes nodded. "She died rescuing a child from a demon. She died a hero's death. All slayers die heroes. I am very proud of her, as I am sure your mother was."

Buffy looked down as tears slipped down her cheeks. "My mother died a month before I died."

"She must have been proud of you," she said, lightly touching Buffy's arm.

Buffy smiled in spite of her flowing tears. "I don't know. I don't think she even knew I loved her. I think I disappointed her somehow."

Lourdes turned her arm so Buffy would look down at the elder woman. She shook her head and reached out to clean Buffy's tears with her apron. The apron smelled of garlic and pepper as it gently across her face.

"All mothers are proud of their daughters. We might not always say it, but we are. And those of us who are privileged to bear a slayer, is the greatest gift of all. Night by night you go out and put your life on the line so that simple people might live another day. You battle the forces of darkness and at times feel more alone than anyone else. But we are never disappointed. On the contrary- it’s everything a mother can hope for. Pure selfless sacrifice," she almost whispered.

Buffy had stopped crying and stared into the woman's black eyes sparkling with life and love. The wrinkles around her brows were lifted in understanding and compassion. "Thank you," Buffy whispered.

"Come here." The woman pulled Buffy into a tight loving hug. Buffy almost melted into her warm affection. This woman she had only just met, did not feel like a stranger. "You're family now, therefore I am Nita,” she said.

Buffy pulled away and smiled at her. "Thank You, Nita." The woman just smiled.

"Smells good."

Buffy looked up to find Spike, smiling at the sight. Vanessa asleep in his arms, wrapped around him; legs hugging his waist and little arms clutching at his neck. Her wild brown curls were fanned out over his chest as her little face rested peacefully against his shoulder.

Lourdes chuckled as the vampire approached them, "She's crazy about you, William."

"Well, I am kinda fond of the lil' bit myself," he replied. His gaze drifted over to the wooden bowl Buffy had been using. He looked up at her face and saw the red eyes beneath her lashes.

"What's wrong, pet?" he asked. Before Buffy could brush it off Lourdes cut in.

"Oh nothing, girl talk." she said smiling at Buffy. She returned the smile gratefully and Spike just shrugged.

"I am fine, Spike. We were just cooking." Buffy said trying to brighten the mood.

"Cooking?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. There was trepidation in his voice.

"Yes, cooking," she replied

"Pet, you remember last time you cooked? I couldn't even eat the gravy," he said.

"You're one to talk. Your dinner will be served in a mug," Buffy replied defensively.

Spike scowled at her.

"I'll have you know that I always eat her meals,” he said, gesturing at the other woman.” She’s the best cook in the world."

"Paren! (Stop!)" Lourdes cried out, before the discussion could go any further. "Out of the kitchen, William. Shoo, out you go. Buffy is going to learn how to cook and you will eat her food."

Spike had known Lourdes since she was in her early twenties. He knew better than to anger her.

Buffy, bemused by this defense, smiled brightly at Spike. He was taken back; she didn’t often grin like that. Shaking his head at them, he headed out.

“Bloody women,” he muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We'll leave tonight after dinner." Spike told Sammy.

"Is it safe?" he asked worried.

"Safe as ever. We can't spend another night here. You know I wish I could, but I can't. Not without the players. Once we set up base I might send some protection over 'ere. Meanwhile I have to hide the Slayer. She's used to her small town and her vampires. She's not aware of the global dangers that threaten us daily. Once the players arrive her training will begin."

"You're going to start her with the basics?" Sammy asked, sitting down in his large leather chair.

"No, she can do the basics; you saw 'er. She just needs weapons training and maybe some of that mojo matrix shit that Loret does. We have no idea what's coming. The powers went to a hell of a lot trouble getting 'er back. They didn't call her back for a stroll in the park." Spike said exhaling the smoke from his cigarette.

Sammy thought for a while and brought his own illegal cigar to his mouth. "I've seen better days."

Spike chuckled at the man, "You and me both."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next in the Series - Life of Fire, Heat, Desire



Back to Fanfiction