Title: PLAYING HOUSE

Author: Bonnie

Email: bondav40@yahoo.com

Rating: PG13

Summary: Sequel to "Interception". Buffy and Spike are happily keeping house until an old friend with a new lease on life shows up.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. All belongs to Joss and UPN.



"God, Spike, you do such a good job around here. I should give you a raise. No, better. I should get you a French maid uniform to wear around the house."

"Lacy pinafore?"

"Anything you want," Buffy said generously.

"You buy it, I'll wear it," Spike drawled. "Whatever turns you on, baby." He resumed scouring the kitchen sink.

Buffy smiled at the sight of him in yellow rubber gloves scrubbing away. What had made her think that having him live with her and Dawn was going to be trouble? Since he had moved in everything in the household ran like clockwork. Instead of pulling crumpled clothes from the dryer and ironing them at the last minute, she always found every stitch of her wardrobe washed, pressed, folded or hung with meticulous care. The days of nuking leftover Doublemeat Palace specials were over. Instead, she came home every night from her new job at the Fitness Center, where she taught some aerobics and tae kwon do, to a house filled with the rich aroma of some new tempting creation. And in addition to being a culinary genius, Spike had proved to be an impeccable housekeeper. Home hadn't felt so homey since her mom had died.

Yet, with all his housewifely arts, her vampire lover still hadn't lost his edge. When they were patrolling at night, it always gave her a thrill to watch his catlike grace in battle. Morphed into demon face, he would roar like a beast and descend on the enemy in a whirling fury. Almost invariably the fight would be followed by a wild love-making session in a crypt or against a wall, under a tree, behind a dumpster, down a ravine....or any other vaguely secluded spot they could find.

At home again, they would contentedly settle in bed - sometimes making love again, sometimes not. Buffy would drift off, tired from her long work day, and sometimes he would hold her the night through, but other times, restless, he would kiss her then be off about his own business. She had accepted that he was a creature of the night, and she never fussed about his comings and goings. He was always in by the time the sun rose, to roust Dawn out of bed and give both his girls a proper breakfast before sending them off to their respective days.

Yes, the livin' was easy.

Buffy yawned and stretched luxuriously in her kitchen chair, then leaned both elbows on the table, resting her chin on her hands. Eyes riveted on Spike's fine ass in tight black pants, she pondered the possibility of a quickie right here in the kitchen, but dismissed it when she heard Dawn slamming around the living room, singing at the top of her voice. Maybe later. Actually - positively later. And, if not in the kitchen, perhaps they could at least use some kitchen products, like whipped cream and produce.....hm. Her eyes glazed over.

"So what's on for tonight, luv? Spike pulled off the gloves with a snap, hung the dishtowel to dry, then came to stand behind her and massage her shoulders. He dropped a polite kiss on top of her head, then changed his mind and burrowed his face into the mass of her hair, growling with satisfaction when he reached her neck and could nip and lick the tender flesh.

It tickled, and Buffy laughed as she wiggled away and stood to face him. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him in for a nice, long kiss. As the kiss deepened and threatened to evolve into something much more time-consuming, she pushed her hand against his chest and held him at arm's length.

"Bowling first. Sex later."

"Bowling?"

"Yep. Told Dawn we'd take her. We'll meet the others there."

"No patrolling, tonight?"

"We've earned a night off. The ugly nasties will just have to run amok on their own time. This is family night!"

Spike smiled at the word 'family,' and gave Buffy a fierce, possessive hug. "When was the last time I told you 'I love you'?"

"When I got home from work about two hours ago, but you can say it again."

He didn't say it, but showed it with a gentle, lingering kiss. His lips brushed hers and tongue gently invaded and explored her mouth, so intimately familiar now after two months of being together.

"Are you two ever coming?" Dawn called. "We're gonna be late. Spike, where's my blue jacket?"

The couple in the kitchen drew apart reluctantly.

"In the laundry room soaking where you left it two days ago," he called back, never removing his gaze from Buffy. His eyes said, "Later," as he turned and led her out to the living room.

"Soaking?!! Didn't you wash it for me?"

"You said you were going to work on the stain yourself. I assumed you meant it."

"Arrgh! Oh, never mind. I'll wear something else," Dawn flounced off to hunt up a sweater, and soon the three were on their way to the alley.

The blare of music and crash of pins deafened their ears as they entered the building. Across the room, Willow waved them over. Xander and Anya had also arrived and were checking out bowling shoes.

"Tara couldn't come. Class tonight," Willow explained, when they reached her table. "She wanted to, though!" she added, happily. The Wiccan was unfailingly grateful her loved one had given her another chance and some time to get over her magic addiction.

"I'll be your partner, Wil," Dawn said. "We'll burn'em all."

"So the idea is to knock those little white things down with the big ball?" Spike reiterated for the sixth time since Buffy had begun to explain the game to him.

"Yes!" she snapped. "It's a pretty basic concept, Spike."

"All right. Just checkin'. Don't get your knickers in a twist."

"Come on. We have to get shoes," she said, tugging on his arm.

"I've got shoes." He pointed.

"Bowling shoes are different. They give you traction and don't scuff up the lanes." Dawn explained.

Spike took a look around the alley at everyone's shoes and shook his head. "No. I don't think I will," he said emphatically. "Not my style."

"You have to!" Buffy protested.

"Um, they don't let you play without'em," Willow agreed.

"We'll see," Spike said and strolled over to pick out a ball.

Buffy gave up and she and Dawn went to get shoes and balls.

After everyone had gotten their equipment and snacks, they settled down to play. Xander and Spike, who still had a lot of animosity toward each other, stayed as far apart as they could, never interacting if at all possible. Their uneasy truce was buried under the chattering of all the girls, who paid no attention to the tension between them anymore.

When it was Spike's turn to bowl, Willow, the expert, gave him all sorts of last minute instructions about stance, and pull back and release, which he absorbed with a frown of concentration. He then strutted up to the lane and shot a beautiful, arrow-straight roll that exploded all ten pins. He turned with a cocky grin, "Good advice there, Red." and Buffy knew they'd been had.

"How'd you learn to bowl?" she asked as he sat down next to her, beer in hand.

"I've been around a long time, pet. I have many, MANY hidden talents," he said suggestively, slipping his hand under her shirt to caress her lower back, and sneak down into the top of her jeans. "And I have perfect aim. You know that."

She smiled at his cheekiness and felt a shiver go up her spine at his exploring fingers.

"Where are the gutter thingies?" Anya said as she hefted her bright pink ball in both hands and wandered up to the lane. "Xander, you know I can't hit the pins without them."

"An, not everyone wants to use the bumpers, and we can't put them in and out again every time it's your turn."

"Why not? I'm a paying customer. I want bumpers."

Buffy settled back against her new boyfriend, and watched her loved ones carry on feeling more content than she had ever thought possible. Xander and Anya managed to spin out the bumper debate for several minutes, but no one seemed to mind since Dawn was sharing school gossip with Willow, and Spike was busily trying to work his hand further down Buffy's rear, while whispering what he'd like to do to her when they got home.

They played only a couple of games since it was a school night for Dawn and everyone else had to rise for work in the morning. Willow was the high scorer of the night, but the Spuffy team with their unerring aim won both games.

"Well, they're both superhuman. It's not fair," Dawn whined to her partner as they all got ready to go. "And look at the scuff marks Spike left all over the floor. How can he always get away with stuff no one else can?"

"Sorry, Bit. I'm a dangerous character and everyone can see it. Your human rules don't apply to me," he teased.

"Oh, please. Get over yourself." Dawn snorted.

"Bye guys. It's been fun." Willow gave hugs all around. She had a new apartment near campus, which she didn't share with Tara....yet.

"We'll drop you off, Wil," Xander said. He and Anya grabbed their jackets and said their goodbyes, too.

Dawn linked arms with Buffy and Spike, and chattered at them as they walked home through a beautiful, star-filled night.

Later, entwined together in their bed, the vampire and the Slayer rested after an intense bout of lovemaking. Spike could feel the deep rise and fall of Buffy's breast against his side, her warm breath puffing across his chest and knew she had drifted off to sleep, but he was wide awake. Anxiety, a new emotion, washed over him in waves. - Things were too perfect. SHE was too perfect. It couldn't last. Something bad had to happen. He didn't deserve this. He was unworthy. What would come along and rob him of his new family? - Thoughts chased through his brain, faster and faster, leaving him upset and shaken.

Anger at his inability to simply accept his good fortune finally forced him to action. He slid out from under Buffy's arm, dressed, and set off into the night to find a little demon ass to kick. He had found there was nothing like a good healthy dose of violence to calm his fears and give him a good day's sleep.

***************

Later in the week Buffy had a half day at work and spent most of the afternoon running errands around town. She arrived home with just a few hours to spare before Dawn could be expected from school and ready for a little afternoon delight with Spike. It would be a relief to be as noisy as they wanted for once!

She entered the dim house, blinds were always drawn now, to find her beautiful blond lover sacked out on the couch. He was deep in a sleep cycle and didn't hear her set down her purse, shed her jacket, or approach him and crouch down on the floor at his side. She stroked her hand down the side of his face, feeling the ridge of cheekbone and the hollow beneath it. He stirred and murmured something, and Buffy smiled and began to play.

Both her hands crept under his T-shirt, feathering lightly over his strong stomach muscles and enjoying the way they twitched in response to her touch. She gently tweaked his nipples and he shifted again in his sleep - moving now toward wakefulness. It wasn't until she undid the button of his jeans and began to explore the world behind his zipper, that his eyelids fluttered open.

"Hey," he rasped sleepily. "Who told you you could play with that?"

"Want me to put it back?" she asked, innocently.

"Naw. Just don't break it," he cautioned, then gasped as her hot mouth suddenly descended on his cool member. "Christ, you're like an oven!" he complained, but grabbed her head and urged her on. Buffy enjoyed the power she held over him, guiding him toward ecstasy, then withholding it while he calmed again. But finally, he had enough of her games and pulled her on top of him for a bone-crushing embrace and hard, lingering kiss.

Spike sat up, stripped of his shirt, and flipped her onto her back, straddling her as best he could on the narrow couch. He sat above her, just watching her lovely face for a minute, while she waited expectantly for his next move. He didn't disappoint, but moved in to rain delicate kisses down the column of her throat and onto the tops of her breasts. Impatiently unbuttoning her blouse, his attentions were interrupted by the doorbell. The vampire growled in annoyance, and continued his loving assault.

The bell rang insistently, destroying the time-suspended air of their afternoon.

"Just ignore it," Spike protested, as Buffy tried to wriggle out from under him. "They'll go away." He pinned her arms over her head and went in for another round of kisses.

"Might. Be. Important." Buffy mumbled every time she could snatch air. "Keeps. Ringing." With a Herculean effort she forced herself to push Spike off, began buttoning her shirt, and trotted to the door. She looked back over her shoulder to see him stretched out, resting on one arm, frowning and pouting. A smile blossomed on her face, and she opened the door, grinning like an idiot.

The figure on her front porch was tall, dark, and..... "Angel?!" Shock wiped the smile from her lips. "You're....here." She stared at him, trying to figure out what else was wrong with this picture. Suddenly it came to her. "And in...DAYLIGHT."

Spike, listening from the couch, felt his stomach sink as he swung to a sitting position. "Oh bloody hell. Fuck me sideways."

"Buffy." Angel's voice caressed her name as his eyes did her face. Seconds passed and she continued to stare at him, transfixed. "Can I come in? I'll explain everything."

"Um, sure. Wait. No." She remembered Spike in semi-nude repose on the couch behind her. "Well. I....Just give me a minute." She shut the door in Angel's face and leaned against it.

"Spike."

"I know. Go hide somewhere."

"No! That's not what I......Well, maybe. For now. Until I find out what's going on and have a chance to explain about...us."

Spike remained poker-faced as he grabbed up his shirt and stalked off to the kitchen.

Buffy took a deep breath, ran a hand through her hair, and opened the door again, to find a puzzled looking Angel. "Is this a bad time?" he asked. "Are you...are you with someone."

She ignored the question and pulled him inside. "What.....? How....?" She gestured at the sunny day.

In answer he took her hand and placed it on his chest. Thump-thump, Thump-thump. The rhythm she had once prayed for and never expected to feel there beat beneath her palm. She gasped and put her other hand up to touch the warm skin of his face, pulsing with life. Her wide green eyes met his serious brown ones. He nodded.

"Oh my god," she whispered, turning pale. "How did this happen? When?"

"It's a long, involved story. Do you have time?" Angel looked at her uncertainly, sensing her nervousness. "Should I meet you somewhere, later?"

"No. It's fine," Buffy pasted a smile back on her face, and led her former lover to a chair, then plopped down on the couch, still reeling from the shock of feeling his pulse. "Tell me!" She thought of poor Spike hiding out in the kitchen and interrupted Angel before he could begin. "Can I get you a drink first, though?" Without waiting for an answer, she jumped up and left the room.

Spike was peering in the fridge, poking around in the vegetable drawer when she entered the kitchen. He pulled out a bag of carrots and studiously read the label, glancing up nonchalantly at her.

"So, what does old grandpappy want? And why's he travelin' by daylight?"

Buffy went to the cupboard for a pair of glasses then turned to face him, uncertain how to break the shattering news. She opted for bluntness.

"Spike, Angel is human."

Silence.

"At least his heart's pumping blood and he's breathing. So, yeah, I guess he's human."

Silence.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" Buffy asked.

Spike looked back down at the bag of carrots. "Better go talk to him, then. Find out what happened," he said, calmly. He put down the vegetables, plucked the glasses from her hands and filled them with ice and water from the fridge, then handed them back. She looked at his blank face with concern, then headed back into the living room.

Angel was sitting nervously on the edge of a chair. He smiled tentatively when she entered the room. "I should've called first. I knew I should, but I didn't know what to say."

"It's fine." Buffy handed him a glass, then stood awkwardly before him. "So, what....happened? How did you get......like this?"

"I'm still not really sure. There was a prophecy about a vampire with a soul. Something Wesley found in an ancient scroll. It was very vague, but it appeared to indicate a possibility for redemption."

"And how long have you known about that!"

"Awhile now. I thought about calling and telling you, but it was so uncertain and then all hell broke loose and kind of drove it out of my mind. There wasn't time and it didn't seem to matter much - it was such a long shot."

Buffy nodded understandingly. There were plenty of things that had happened to her over the past few years which she no longer shared with Angel, and one of them was in her kitchen right now.

"So then, the other day..." he continued. "...it was just another fight, another evil to destroy........nothing apocalyptic.....nothing world shaking, and I got shot.....again. There was a little girl in the alley. This guy had taken her. Just a human guy. I told her to run home, then swung back around to hit him when he shot me. I passed out. He must have run away.



Continue

Back to Fanfiction