|So-called "The old center" of Zemun comprehends Lower Town - the oldest part of urban settlement, out of which it has been expending and developing later on. This part of Zemun, enclosed by fortification up to the second part of 19th century, represents historical urban entirety with many valauable architectural monuments.|
First Serbian school
A view on Zemun
| Former tavern "BELI MEDVED" ("WHITE
BEAR"), at number 10 - Vasilija Vasilijevica street, is the oldest
building in Zemun, built back in Turkish time. It was here in 1717 that famous army
commander Eeugen of Savoy stopped, after he conquered the city. In time, the building has
suffered certain changes, but it still preserves much of its original appearance.
GLAVNA (MAIN) STREET has been marked out back in Roman time and it has always represented main traffic artery of the town and its cultural center. In spite of some recent buildings it preserves its old architecture and environment, where some valuable houses dominate.
Number 6 is corner one-storeyed house built at the end of 18th century in style of classicism. In this house was born Dimitrije Davidovic (1789-1838), publisher of the first Serbian newspaper (1813), diplomat, minister and author of the First Constitution of renewed Serbia. The building is marked with the commemorative plaque.
Number 9 is a one-storeyed house built in 1840 in the spirit of romanticism and shaped in pseudogothic style. It has belonged to onetime famous merchant family Spirta and it has been the house hold of Homeland Museum since 1971.
Glavna street 18
Number 18 is one storeyed house built at the end of 18th century. It was here in 1817 that Austrian tzar Franc I stayed, according to the testimony of commemorative plaque on the facade.
Glavna street 26
Number 26 is representative corner building in empire style, with corner closed balcony. It was built in 1823 and here lived the writer Jovan Subotic (1817-1886).
BEZANIJSKA STREET has also been
marked out as early as Roman time. As once, it is still important traffic artery with many
handy craft and trade shops. Among many valuable architectonic buildings, some are
House number 18 is built in 1793 in the style of classicism. Once, there has been the famous inn "Kraljevic Marko", and here, at onetime, stayed the merchant Petar Icko, Karageorge's diplomat.
Number 16 is built in 1907 according to the plans of the famous building constructor of Zemun, Franja Jenc.
In the block surrounded by Bezanijska, Svetosavska and Rajaciceva street there is the monumental and representative building "Serbian Home", built in 1909, according to the plans of Zemun's architect Kosta Atanackovic-Stanisic, on the spot of the old Serbian school, which has continued its work in this new building.
In NJEGOSEVA STREET, according to their architectonic value the most interesting buildings are number 2 (former tavern "At three Arabs'"), number 3 (in which the painter Djurdje Teodorovic lived) and number 24 (former tawern "At pike's").
In the house number 45, within the churchyard of St. Nicola's church, was the first Zemun's Serbian school in the second part of 18th and the beginning of 19th century. The house has no great architectonic value but it is of significant cultural and historical importance. Now the building houses Serbian Chorus and educative craftsmen's guild, founded in 1890.
KARAMATINA STREET was named after one of the oldest and most famous Zemun's families. In the house number 17 this family has continualy lived since 1772. The house was built in the style of late baroque in 1763,however, it was recontructed in 1827, so facade is in the classicism style. It was here in 1788 (during the Austrian-Turkish war) that Austrian tzar Joseph II stopped, and patriarch Josif Rajacic stayed in 1848/49. Among other famous personalities, Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic has also stayed in this house several times. Living in this building for so many years, family Karamata has preserved the old interior with many artistic paintings, valuable objects of applied arts and engraved coat of Austrian Empire on the ceiling in one room.
On TRG POBEDE there are two important public objects. Number 3 is Magistrat house, built in style of classicism in 1832, enlarged in 1836. Here had been City Administration (Magistrat) up to 1871, when the Court moved into this house.
House number 1 was built in 1886 and the City Administration has been situated here since than. The building was seriosly damaged in bombardments during 1944, that's why the same was reconstructed in details and enlarged in 1946.
Former Boy school, now elementary school, cherishes traditions of the oldest school in the town (founded in 1728). The house was built by plans of Zagreb architects, in style of postsecessionism, with some neoclassicism elements, in 1913/14.
The building of Agricultural colegge were built according to plans of architect Gojko Tadic, in 1932, and it was twice enlarged after The second World War. Behind this building there is the large schoolyard.