DIOCESE OF ST JOHN / DIOCESE OF MTHATHA
Cathedral: St John the Evangelist, Umtata.
The original arms were granted by the College of Arms in 1954. The blazon reads:
Azure, St John the Evangelist Argent, holding a chalice Or.
This diocese (originally named the Diocese of St John’s, Kaffraria) is one of only two established in Southern Africa during the 19th century which bear arms that have remained unchanged (in terms of blazon) since their first establishment (the other being the Diocese of Lebombo).
It retained its original area of jurisdiction until 1991, when the eastern part, comprising Pondoland and Griqualand East, was separated and placed under the authority of a bishop based in Kokstand. The new see was styled the Diocese of Umzimvubu.
The remaining (western) part of the diocese was subsequently given a new name as the Diocese of Mthatha.
Bishop H St J T Evans (consecrated 1952) was in office when the diocese was granted its arms in 1954. He was succeeded by J L Schuster (1957) Godfrey Ashby (1980) and J Z B Dlamini (1985).
Die wapen mag soos volg geblasoeneer word:
In blou, Sint Johannes die Evangelis in silwer, met ’n goue miskelk in die hand.
Source of image: Line drawing in Brownell’s book, coloured by the webmaster using MS Picture It!
Back to index of dioceses (arms as originally borne)
Terug na indeks van bisdomme (oorspronklike wapens; Afrikaans)
Comments, queries: Mike Oettle