shotley
SHOTLEY BRIDGE
SHOTLEY BRIDGE
Home of the Famous German Swordmakers
Home of the Famous German Swordmakers
Consett
Introduction
Home
This is the centre of  Shotley Bridge around 1900, with the village fountain on the left of the picture. Shotley Spa waters were noted for their curative powers and this pretty village nestling on the banks of the River Derwent, boasted a large flour mill, paper mill and its own zoo at that time. Late in the 17th century, German swordmakers settled here and produced their fine quality blades.
This is Shotley flour mill, probably taken in 1922 with steam power beginning to take over from horsepower.
This is a later view of the flour mill by the riverside, with nature taking over where man left off.
Life was lived at a more leisurely pace when this picture was taken. Even so, the children here on the bridge are keeping to the footpath. On the right of the picture is the Bridge End Inn, now the King's Head.
Shotley Bridge railway station must have been extremely busy around the end of the 19th century as visitors flooded in to partake of the spa waters and visit the attractions of the nearby zoo at Elm Park, with its exotic animals and birds.
Swiss Cottage dates to around 1800 and was the home of a local doctor at some time prior to 1860. The Barron family are seen posing for this photograph.
This is Nicholas Oley, the last member of the German family of Shotley swordmakers. On the right is a close-up of a Shotley sword with 'Shotley' and the 'Passau Wolf' stamped on the blade.
Home
The Works
The Works
Links
Guest Book
Guest Book
Places
Transport
Books
S.A. Band
1