After the Battle of the Pelennor, a wounded Éowyn and Merry were brough to the Houses of Healing in the sixth tier of Minas Tirith (a seven-tier city built against the foot of a mountain). Along with Faramir, previously injured during his retreat from Osgiliath into the safety of Minas Tirith during the Siege of Gondor, the two heroes of the battle were healed by Aragorn (with the help of a wise herbalist named Ioreth).
Once healed, Faramir was made Steward of Gondor in place of his father, and left in charge of the city while the rest of the armies rode to Mount Doom. It was during this time of unrest and waiting that Faramir and Éowyn met.
City of Seven Tiers
1. The GREAT GATE - (Tier 1), main entrance gate into the city.
2. RATH CELERDAIN - (Tier 2), also called "Lampwright's Street," home of the OLD GUESTHOUSE.
3. The HALLOWS - (Tier 5), tombs of Kings and Stewards past, reached only by the RATH DÍNEN ("Silent Street") through the FEN HOLLIN ("Steward's Door").
4. The HOUSES OF HEALING - (Tier 6), where Merry, Faramir and Éowyn were healed after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
5. The CITADEL - (Tier 7)
- The WHITE TOWER OF ECTHELION, houses the Palantiri
- The PLACE OF THE FOUNTAIN, courtyard housing the White Tree of the Kings
- MERETHOND, the "Hall of Feasting"
- The KING'S HOUSE, where the King lives, of course