|Parish Clerks Diary|
1747 - 1834
|1747||Distemper in horned cattle|
|1767||The organ first fixed up in Witton Chapel, Sept. 7th|
|1770||Ashton's Rockpit sunk in Twambrooks|
|1770||Sir Peter Leicester died, February 12th|
|1772||Clerk Miller died. James Swindall succeeded.|
|1773||Mr Furey's and Mr Oldham's houses built|
|1774||Kent's Rock Pit sunk in Twambrook's|
|1774||Brass candlesticks fixed up in Witton Church by Thomas Marshall and Robert Deakin|
|1775||Joiner at Winnington Hall drowned, January 17th|
|1775||Mr Parland came in supervision in this collection|
|1775||Mr Kent's Baron's Quay Salt Works began: Mr Bromfield, clerk|
|1775||Richard Pennant's Esq., Winnington Hall began to be built in 1773, completed 1775|
|1775||Methodist Chapel first preached in|
|1775||Mr Mort's Flat, "The Quebeck" launched, May 6th|
|1775||------- Leigh Esq., died, June 15th|
|1775||New Street began to be built by Mr Marshall|
|1777||Samuel Thornley hanged April 10th and gibbeted April 11th|
|1777||Earthquake in Northwich, September 14th|
|1777||Jack Painter suffered for setting to Ports-mouth Dockyard|
|1778||An awful earthquake in England, September 14th|
|1779||Thomas Cholmondley died, June 1st|
|1779||Samuel Thompson's haystack caught fire, August 18th|
|1780||The Rock-Getters pulled off their prices 4d a ton, February, 1780|
|1780||A great stir in the Rock Trade. March 20th|
|1780||Robert Pownall died January, and succeeded by Johnson|
|1780||Samuel Birkenhead drowned, May 16th|
|1780||Oratorio in Witton Chapel, October 6th; new vestry built|
|1780||Cotton Works began to be built, August|
|1780||The first Fair in York Buildings, built by Mr Mort, December 6th|
|1780||Riots in London, when Newgate was burned down, August 1st|
|1783||Mr Marshall's Brig launched, November 8th|
|1784||The Cut for water for the new cotton works finished, June|
|1784||Grand Day at the Siege of Gibraltar, September 13th|
|1786||Rev. Mr Hadfield died, April 9th|
|1786||Phillip Egerton of Oulton died, May 14th|
|1786||Witton Chapel broken open, June 1st|
|1786||Mrs Cholmondley buried, June 2nd|
|1786||Boundary walked in Northwich by John Mort, 1st July|
|1786||Mr Pownall, clerk to the cotton works, died, August 10th|
|1786||Beef first sold in the New Shambles, October 13th|
|1786||Lady Leicester died, December 8th, aged 54 years|
|1788||Richard Lownds hanged himself in Church Walk, June 30th|
|1788||Coronor's polling in Whalley Meadow|
|1789||Great Illuminations at Northwich, March 26th|
|1789||First stone with a brass plate, laid in Dane bridge, April 7th|
|1789||Oratorio at Witton Chapel, July 4th|
|1790||The first stone laid down at Vale Royal Lock, June 5th|
|1790||A new wing built at the Cotton Works, and the works repaired, July 9th|
|1790||A new clapper, 51 lbs, for Budworth 8th bell, made by William Stelfox and John Cornes, November 13th|
|1791||First brewing at the new brewery in Northwich, 9 load, February 7th|
|1791||William Lownds gibbeted at Helsby Hill, April 21st |
|1791||Lord Penrhyn's New Road made in August|
|1791||A confirmation at Witton Chapel, July 21st|
|1792||Flatmen stood out for wages, April 5th; held out for 6 weeks|
|1792||John Wharton, Butcher, moved into the Shambles, October 5th|
|1793||John Mort died, January 8th; buried January 12th|
|1793||A Great Wind and Tide, when Acton, Ravenscroft and Cullins were lost, March 3rd|
|1793||The King of France lost his head, January 21st|
|1793||The new basin at Anderton cut in August|
|1793||Edward Miles gibbeted by Warrington, September|
|1793||The Queen of France lost her head, October 16th|
|1794||A husband, wife and child suffocated at Lord Penrhyn's Lodge, November 4th|
|1798||A slip in Weaverham Rough stopped the river, July 22nd|
|1798||Illuminations for Nelson's Victory, October 4th|
|1798||Old officers turned off the salt duties|
|1799||Jonadab Mort died, January 3rd|
|1799||Cotton Works took fire on Sunday, February 17th|
|1799||James Thomas, Stephen Sutton and Mathew Fowls killed by launching a Flat, February 18th|
|1799||Myers' waggon overturned at the 'Cock' in Witton Street and killed a woman and horse, December 11th|
|1834||Began to pull down the old organ and organ gallery and put it up again in the west end of Witton Church in a new gallery erected for that purpose, October 22nd|
|1834||Began to shift the Pulpit and Reading Desks in Witton Church to the situation in which they now stand, December 8th|
|13th December 1913: Road Subsidence at Wincham
|Northwich Lake Again Disappears. Two local newspaper's reports of the time
|7th March 1914: Ominous Signs Near Wincham
| The Adelaide mine had been in existence for many years and was the last mine to be worked in the Northwich area, finally closing on 13th March 1928. It had been visited on many occasions by people from all over the world and they had always been privileged by the owners to descend and inspect. The effect of the closure would mean hardship for the 40-50 hands who had been employed at the works.
Within a mile of the 'Big Hole' was a large expanse of water. Within a few hours of the flooding of the mine the water level in the 'Big Hole' had dropped three to four feet and it was estimated that millions of gallons of water had entered some underground channel and a large volume of this has presumably entered the Adelaide mine. Nowadays it is sometimes possible to see areas of the old brickworks showing above the expanse of water, the remains of the old Adelaide site.[ Picture ] (The area is now popular with wild-life and local anglers!)
|The old Adelaide mine was situated at Marston and was one of the largest mines to be worked in the area. The mine was 336 feet deep and had two shafts within a few feet of each other; the main shaft being for the lowering and raising of men and materials, whilst the other shaft accommodated ventilation pipes.
In September 1896 the mine was visited by members of the British Association who were conducted through the workings by Thomas Ward on behalf of the mine owner. The excavation area in 1896 was given as nearly 15 acres with the roof supported on pillars of 10 yards square, spaced at 20 yard intervals.
At the foot of the main shaft was a spacious hall, hewn out of solid rock salt and known locally as the crystal ballroom, derived from the fact that some years previously, many of the townspeople attended dances held in the mine. [Read: A Visit to the Crystal Ballroom in 1838]
When illuminated the mine was a brilliant spectacle, with the light reflecting from the glittering rock. [Picture: A Pillar of Salt] From this cavern ran several 'workings', some of them being over half a mile in length. From these workings, the rock salt was conveyed to the foot of the shaft on bogie trucks drawn by ponies.
[ Pictures: Rock Salt 'Getting' in the 1920's . There were 4 ponies used in the workings; their stables were in a corner of the main hall.]
The rock-salt, on being drawn up from the shaft, was crushed and ground by machinery and then loaded into barges and rail-trucks; the canal and rail sidings being in close proximity to the mine.
One of the greatest difficulties the miners had to contend with had been the steady percolation of water into the mine shaft, and a system of wedging had been resorted to. This type of wedging had on many occasions proved efficient in other mines, often preventing severe flooding of the workings.
In March 1928 the water was seen to be entering the main shaft at a point half-way down and men were engaged in plugging the hole with wooden wedges. Every effort was made to arrest the inrush of water but by evening the mine was flooding with increasing rapidity and it was impossible to stem the flow of water. Workers were lowered into the mine to make observations but found that their oil lamps were being extinguished as the air in the mine was displaced. [Picture: Miners Punting through Flood Waters]
The safety of the ponies was causing concern and they were in danger of being drowned. The ventilation shaft was the only means of entering the mine but as it was of restricted width it would be impossible to evacuate the ponies. Mr Ashbrook of Northwich, who was a licensed horse slaughterer, was sent for and he, in company with some of the mine employees, descended into the mine. Though the water was rising at an alarming level in the mine they were able to reach the animals and destroy them with the 'humane killer'. Valuable machinery in the mine was also abandoned, there being no time to bring it to the surface.
| Arial view of Ashton's and Neumann's Flashes in 1946.
The area is now being developed as a Country Park. (2003)
|point cursor over numbers 1-13 for details of that area
|The Salt Industry and its Legacy
(for Northwich, and its surrounding countryside)
|"For Several years now, the Wincham Road, Northwich, has been in a dangerous state, and there have been innumerable small subsidences in the vicinity. Subsidence threatened to swallow up the Townshend Arms [pictures, notes and Licensees] at Witton Brow, and when the waters of the Brook skirted it's walls, the building was demolished. Recent events show that action was not too soon, for since then, the land on which the Inn was erected, has disappeared very rapidly, so quickly in fact, that the road was threatened. Day after day, boats with cargoes of chemical waste and boulders came up the Brook, and a number of workmen were employed depositing the material at the water's edge - but no sooner had this been done than it seemed to disappear and have no effect. Such have been the events of the last month or so.
In addition, the Rural Council's workmen have treated the road with tons of clinkers and cinders, making it level, whilst the junction with Marbury Lane, where the road was sinking fast, as recently as Wednesday twenty carts of material were placed upon the surface.
During the small hours of yesterday (Thursday) morning, a part of the road opposite the Townshend Arms site collapsed, leaving a circular aperture six yards across and ten feet deep. The area was intact at midnight, but the collapse had taken place at 5 o'clock when the Royal Mail motor van passed for Warrington. During yesterday (Thursday), the hole, which occupied half the road, was filled in, and the place made as safe as the natural conditions there allow.
The driver, who is well aquainted with the road, safely negotiated the dangerous spot, and later reported the incident to Constable Platt of Wincham. It was most fortunate that the heavy van cleared the hole for otherwise it must certainly have swung over into the Flash
Road Damage, Marston/Wincham Road.