|Marston : 1850 & 1892|
Marston is an important township and village on the Trent and Mersey canal, 1 mile north-east from Northwich and a mile and a half south-south-east from Great Budworth, and, with part of Wincham, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish March 19th 1875, out of the mother parish of Great Budworth. It is in the Northwich Division of the county, hundred, union and county court district of Northwich, petty sessional division of Leftwich, rural deanery of Frodsham and archdeaconry and diocese of Chester.
The church of St. Paul, erected in 1874, is a plain edifice of brick in the Early English style, from designs by Mr Douglas, architect, of Chester, and consists of chancel, with vestry and organ chamber on the south side, nave, with north aisle and porch and a low spire turret containing one bell; there are 310 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874
The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £102; net yearly value £204, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Thomas William Sturges BA., of Trinity College, Dublin.
Here are several salt manufactories and rock salt mines: that known as the 'Marston Old Mine' is 120 yards in depth, and contains an excavated area of 35 acres. In 1844, the late Emporer Nicholas of Russia visited this mine with the Royal Society of England, on which occasion it was splendidly illuminated with upwards of 10,000 lights, and a banquet was provided at the bottom.
In 1854 Sir W Hamilton, Sir John Forbes, Dr. Whewell andother members of the British Association paid a visit to this remarkable mine, when it was again illuminated, and nearly 1,000 people descended in one day to inspect its vast chambers. The Marston Hall Mine, worked by the Salt Union Limited, is also situated in this township; this is the largest mine in the trade, having an excavated area of about 40 acres.
Lord de Tabley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. the soil is light; subsoil, chiefly sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats, potatoes and turnips. The area is 1,045 acres; rateable value £8,030.
The population in 1881 was, township 969, parish 1,688.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office:-
George Gorst, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Northwich at 7 am.; dispatched at 7.10 pm. on work days & at 12.30 pm on Sundays.
Church of England Infants' School,, erected, with teacher's residence, in 1855, by public subscription, on a site given by Lord de Tabley; it will hold 56 children; average attendance, 56; Miss Mary Jane Delamere, mistress. The elder children at present attend either at Northwich or Great Budworth.
A new school is now (1891) in course of erection, at a cost of £1,590, for 200 boys & girls & 150 infants.
Thomas Monk; James Platt; John Platt; Thomas Rayner, Marston House; Rev. Thomas William Sturges, (BA), vicar; vicarage.
Jabez Buckley, dairyman; Samuel Burgess, coal merchant; John Collins, shopkeeper; Robert Cordwell, Red Lion PH; Samuel Dickens, beer retailer; Thomas Eaton, farmer; Isaac Farish, farmer, Marston Hall; George Gorst, grocer & post-office; Thomas Harding, grocer; James Hargreaves, beer retailer; Mrs. Mary Jackson, farmer; Arthur Johnson, dairyman; Mrs Ann Kerfoot, draper; Mrs Sarah Leigh, provision dealer; Samuel Massey, blacksmith; Henry Morton, shopkeeper; Henry Newman, grocer; Salt Union Limited, (Thomas Rayner, manager); Joseph Summerfield, shopkeeper; Joseph Taylor, shopkeeper.
|1850 : MARSTON, is a scattered village and township, containing several extensive salt works, 2 miles N.N.E. from Northwich, and has 1045A. 0R. 22P. of land, 97 houses, and 479 inhabitants. Population in 1801, 284 ; in 1831, 465. Rateable value, £4,376.
Marston is unnoticed in Domesday Book, but it formerly belonged to the barons of Kinderton. Andrew, Prior of Norton, granted to Sir William Venables, who had the celebration of Divine service to find in his chapel, at Marston, during his life-time, when either he or his wife should be there and also leased to Robert, his son, clerk, their tithe of the mill, and of the fishing there.
Marston is situated near the meres of Marbury and Pickmere. It passed from the family of Venables to the Vernons, with the Kinderton barony, and was about 1757 conveyed to Sir Peter Leycester, and is now inherited by Lord de Tabley.
John Dunne, Esq., and the owners of the salt works are also most of them small proprietors.
The white salt works in this township are extensive, and rock salt is also got in considerable quantities. The principal owners of these works are Newman & Co., Thomas Lyon, Rock Salt Company, and Ashton, & Co. (See Northwich). There is also a manufactury here of steam boilers and salt pans.
Two farms in this township are severed from the rest, by the townships of Pickmere and Wincham intervening, one of which, Smoker Hill Farm, is 4 miles E. from Budworth Church. Mr John Swinton, the occupant, in 1847, took the first prize for the best cultivated farm, at the Manchester and Liverpool Agricultural Show, and also the first prize at the Great Budworth Show, in the same year. Mr Swinton had also the first prize awarded at the Cheshire Agricultural Show, held at Nantwich, in 1848.
The vicarial tithes are commuted for £18, and the rectorial for £74.
Jonathan Gilgrass, boot and shoe maker ; Rigby & Bourne, steam boiler & salt pan manufacturers, Marston Forge ; John Tomkinson, vict., Red Lion.
John Buckley ; Robert Earle ; James Fair, and cattle dealer ; Joseph Manley ; Thomas Ridgway ; John Swinton ; and Samuel Wright.
William Leigh ; Ann Plumb ; and Richard Gwen.