|Northwich : 1850
| St. Paul's Church, situated a short distance from the Dane Bridge, in the township of Leftwich, was built in 1849 at a cost of about £2000, of which £650 was raised by grants from the various church building societies, and the rest by voluntary subscriptions; the structure is in the early English style, and the interior arrangements have a very pleasing appearance. The living is a perpetual curacy endowed with £150 per annum, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in the alternative patronage of the Crown, and the Bishop of Chester. The Rev. Daniel Waller, MA., is the incumbent.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a spacious chapel in Leftwich, near St Paul's church, which contains a good organ and is netly fitted up. The Tabernacle is a spacious building, chiefly of wood, in which the Association Methodists assemble for divine worship. The Independants, and the Primitive Methodists have also each a place of worship in Northwich.
The National School built in 1818, is situated in Timber Lane; 125 girls and 125 boys attend. There is also a good school erected by the trustees of the Weaver Navigation, which with several private establishments, combine to furnish instruction to a great number of children of both sexes.
The magistrates hold monthly meetings at the Town Hall, a small building near the bridge.
The Savings Bank was established in 1818, and the present premises on Winnington Hill were erected in 1840, at a cost including the site of £1,188. The capital stock of the bank on the 20th November 1848, amounted to £98,815. 14s. 5d., at which time there were 1,911 depositors, including the accounts of 57 Charitable Societies and 60 Friendly Societies. Of the respective balances, 793 did not exceed £20; 559 were above £20 and not exceeding £50; 271 did not exceed £100; 60 were above £150 and not exceeding £200, and deposits of 16 were above £200. William S Bradburn is the secretary.
County Court.- The townships embraced in the jurisdiction of the County Court of Northwich, for the recovery of debts not exceeding £20, are: Allostock, Acton, Anderton, Birches, Great Budworth, Barnton, Bostock, Byley, Little Budworth, Castle Northwich, Clive, Croxton, Cogshall, Comberbach, Crowton, Cuddington, Delamere, Darnhill, Davenham, Eaton, Eddisbury, Goostrey, Hulse, Hartford, Kinderton, Lach Dennis, Lostock Gralam, Leftwich, Little Leigh, Marbury, Marston, Middlewich, Mooresbarrow, Moulton, Newall, Nether Newton, Northwich, Oakmere, Over, Ouston, Oulton Low, Occleston, Peover, Ravenscroft, Rudheath, Shipbrook, Shurlach, Stublach, Sproston, Stanthorne, Sutton, Wallerscoat, Weaverham, Weaver, Wharton, Wimboldesley, Wincham, Winnington, Witton, and Whatcroft. Judge, John William Harden, Esq. Clerk, Christopher Cheshire, Esq. High Bailiff, William Sutton Bradburn.
The Union House, situate in Leftwich, is a spacious brick pile, erected in 1837, at a cost of £5,000, for the accommodation of 300 inmates; with furniture, and other incidental expenses, the cost was upwards of £6,000. The Union embraces 60 townships, and has an area of 55,675 acres. The guardians, 62 in number, meet every Friday at the Board room; George Wilbraham Esq., is the Chairman. The Union contains the whole of the above townships, enumerated in the jurisdiction of the County Court, with the exception of Great Budworth, which is in the Runcorn Union. It is divided into three districts, of Northwich, Over and Middlewich, and Weaverham.
Surgeons, John Dale, John Dean, Charles Miller, and John McGregor.
Relieving Officers and Registrars: Thomas Hughes, Middlewich; William Hand, Over; William Newall, Leftwich.
Governor and Matron,: John and Mary Rosson.
The Lock-up, a small brick building, in Cross Church Street, has been built about 10 years, and is provided with three cells.
The Gas-Works were established in 1836 by a company of shareholders, with a capital stock of £5000. The Gasometer will hold 8,000 cubic feet; a charge of 10s. per 1,000 cubic feet is made to the consumer.
The advantageous situation of Northwich on the bank of the river Weaver, and its contiguity to the grand trunk canal, is of emmense importance to the commercial prosperity of the town, and have combined to render it pre-eminent in its staple. Vessels of 160 tons burthen can come up the Weaver as far as Northwich Bridge; and the smaller vessels of 80 or 100 tons burthen, which lower their masts, go up as far as Winsford. There are about 400 flats employed in conveying the salt to Liverpool etc. All vessels navigating the Weaver pay 1s. per ton to the trustees of the Weaver Navigation. The income arising from this source cannot be less than £30,000 per annum, of which upwards of £20,000 a year has usually been paid towards the expenses of the county rate. Thomas JB Hostage is Clerk.
|The Parochial Chapel of St. Helen is a noble and spacious edifice situated on rising ground at Witton; in the latter style of English architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a neat embattled tower containing six bells. The living is a perpetual curacy endowed with £400 benefactions, £400 Queen Ann bounty, and £1,400 Parliamentary grant. The Rev. Richard Greenall is the patron, and the Rev. George Gibbons, MA, incumbant. The parsonage is a good residence on the south side of the church.
Trinity Church, in Castle-Northwich, is a neat gothic structure on a considerable elevation near the banks of the Weaver, erected in 1842, by the trustees of the Weaver Navigation, for the accommodation of the watermen. The living is a perpetual curacy endowed with £150 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester. A neat parsonage has been built near the church.
|St. Helen's Witton|
|Holy Trinity, Castle|
|St. Paul's, Danebridge|