|Rudheath : 1850 & 1892|
|1850:-Rudheath lordship is an extensive district, returned in the parish of Davenham, at the census of 1841, but extends also into the parishes of Great Budworth and Sandbach.
The township comprises 2,094a. 2r. 23p. of land, the principal owners of which are Thomas Horatio Marshall, Esq. (a minor), Jonathan Butters Esq., JF France Esq., Miss Johnson, Messrs Shore and Grange, JP Brandreth Esq., John H Harper Esq., and Mr Edward Henshall. In 1841 there were 76 houses and 435 inhabitants; population in 1801: 264; in 1831: 367. Rateable value, £4,642. 11s.
A small chapel-of-ease was built at Broken Cross, in this township, in 1835; it is a brick fabric which will hold about 200 worshippers, and was erected by subscriptions. The living is vested in the Rector of Davenham, and the services are usually performed by the Rev. Hy. Marland. A parochial school and residence for the teacher was erected in 1841; it is supported by subscriptions and a small weekly charge from each scholar attending the school. About 130 scholars attend.
The manors of Drakelow and Rudheath anciently belonged to the family of Drakelow, and having been forfeited by the attainder of John Drakelow, were for a long period in the Crown; having been granted to the Portland family, they were purchased, together with some farms, from the Duke of Portland, by Thomas Marshall, Esq., in whose family they still remain. Rudheath, with Hoole and Over-Marsh, was formerly appointed a sanctuary for criminals.
"It is observable (says Ormerod) that the numerous cottages which are scattered in the solitary lanes round this district contain inhabitants whose objects are not very dissimilar to those of the lawless race to which Rudheath anciently afforded protection."
The Heath is now inclosed; some extensive plantations have been made, and some good farmhouses, most of them modern erections, are scattered over the township. On the 22nd February 1643, an action was fought here between the Royal and Parliamentary forces, but neither party could claim the victory.
Budworth: John Griffiths, Joseph Pemberton.
Davenham: Thos. Bagaley, Samuel Bebbington, Hugh Brett, Joseph Gleave, Thomas Henshall,
Joseph Holland, Richard Holland, John Johnson, George Jepson, Mary Jepson,
Joseph Millington (Gadbrook Farm), Thomas Millington (Higgin's Lane),
John Minshall, John Sherwin, Richard Shore.
Sandbach: John Roylance.
The numbers affixed denote the respective parish in which the residents
in this township are situate:-
1, Budworth; 2, Davenham.
Licensed Victuallers-- 2,Thos. Chantler, Broken Cross
1, John Oakes, Duke of Portland Arms
Portrait painter--George Billington.
Schoolmaster-- George Allcock.
Surgeon-- Jonathan Butters.
Tailor-- Jabez Hickson.
The Misses Johnson have also a residence here, which they occasionally occupy.
|Rudheath is a township, chapelry and lordship in the parishes of Davenham, Great Budworth and Sandbach, about 2 miles south-east from Northwich.
Rudheath lordship is intersected by the Grand Union canal.
The manors of Drakelow and Rudheath (are now held by) Col. CH France-Hayhurst, DT, JP, of Bostock Hall, who is lord of the manor of Drakelow, and Col. Thomas Horatio Marshall, JP,MA, of Bryn Golan, Holyhead, who is lord of the manor of Rudheath. The lordship comprises 1,961 acres, chiefly applied to pasturage and grain; rateable value £4,876.
Population in 1881 was 504.
Letters through Northwich, which is the nearest money order & Telegraph Office.
National School (boys, girls and infants), for 200 children; average attendance, 163.
William Gerrard, Master; Miss Mary Bramall, mistress.
Robert Hickson (private resident).
Farmers: Joseph Alcock, Samuel Brett, John Caldwell, Henry Carter, John William Carter, William Carter (Drakelow Hall), James Cook, Joseph Dale, John Deakin, John Gleave, Chas. Griffiths, (and Cheese Factor), John Holland, William Henry Johnson, Peter Kennerley, Joseph Millington, Thos. Millington (Gadbrook Farm), Mrs Sarah Pennell, James Pimlott, George Rathbone, William Shore.
Cowkeepers: Mrs J Forster, Mrs Sarah Frith, John Rathbone, William Stubbs, Samuel Towers.
Shopkeepers: Philip Anderson, Henry Butters.
Blacksmith: John Clarke.
Coal Dealer: Thomas Dutton.
Bootmaker: Henry Hartley.
Brick & Tile Maker: John Norton.
Publicans: Samuel Peover (Farmer's Arms), William Speakman (Duke of Portland's Arms), George Yarwood (Old Broken Cross).