W. Verb Explanation
-Verbs tell what a subject _______ or _____________.
- There are ______ attributes of verbs, we will learn about 3 this quarter.
1. Tense- showing the __________ of the verb. Ex.-
2. Person- showing who is the subject of the verb (what “person” it refers to).
3. Number- showing whether the subject of the verb is singular or plural.
- Person- there are three persons about which we can talk. Each can be singular or plural.
1st Person _____________ _____________
2nd Person _____________ _____________
3rd Person ________________ _____________
X. Circle the subject, underline the verb, and tell whether the verb is transitive or intransitive, and what person and number it is.
1. He took the lawyer to court.
2. Ancient Romans wore togas.
3. The eruption of
4. I waited by the stadium entrance.
5. Griffy slammed the ball out of the park.
6. Phelps trained hard for the Olympics.
7. You can’t run as fast as Michael Johnson.
Y. Tell whether these words are singular or plural.
1. we singular plural
2. she singular plural
3. you singular plural
4. it singular plural
5. they singular plural
Z. Tell whether these words are 1st, 2nd or 3rd person.
1. it 1st 2nd 3rd
2. I 1st 2nd 3rd
3. you 1st 2nd 3rd
4. we 1st 2nd 3rd
5. they 1st 2nd 3rd