HEATON HALL (1864)
The steamship HEATON HALL was built by Palmer, Newcastle, and was launched in March 1864. 727/562 tons; 200.4 x 28.1 x 17 feet (length x breadth x depth of hold); 3 bulkheads; screw propulsion; schooner rigged. The annual volumes of Lloyd's Register for 1863/64-1865/66 give the following:
Master: 1863/64-1865/66 - B. Buck 1865/66 - P. Wallis Owner: Palmer & Co Port of Registry: Newcastle Port of Survey: Newcastle Intended Voyage: 1863/64-1865/66 - Hamburg 1865/66 - coaster
The entry for the HEATON HALL in Lloyd's Register for 1872/73 is posted "wrecked".
[10 May 1999]
LOUISE & EMILIE 
The Danish brig HEBE was built in Kiel in 1816.
On 16 June 1829, the HEBE was purchased from Dreyer, of Altona, by Friedrich Christian Bahre, of Hamburg, who renamed her LOUISE & EMILIE, but she was not registered under the Hamburg flag until 1833. Measurements (Hamburg): 66 Commerzlasten; 81,7 x 22,8 x 13,4 Hamburg Fuß (1 Hamburg Fuß = .28657 meter), length x beam x depth of hold, zwischen den Steven.
Masters: 1833-1848 - H. C. M. Mildenstein 1849-1851 - A. W. R. Kayser Voyages: 1833 - St. Thomas 1833-1835 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T., Mexico (3 x) 1836 - St. Thomas 1836-1837 - Matanzas, Cuba (2 x) 1837 - St. Thomas 1837/38 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T. 1838 - Veracruz/Havana 1839 - Cap Haitien 1839-1841 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T. (2 x) 1841/42 - Veracruz/Cap Haitien 1842/43 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T./Havana 1843-1844 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T. (2 x) 1844/45 - Cap Haitien 1845/46 - Veracruz/Laguna d. T. 1846-1847 - Havana (2 x) 1847/48 - Rio Grande do Sul/intermediate ports/Laguna d. T. (returned to Hamburg under the name PHÖNIX) 1849-1851 - (again under the name LOUISE & EMILIE) Veracruz/Laguna d. T. (2 x)
On 16 September 1851, the LOUISE & EMILIE was sold to Gustav Robert Keylich, Hamburg.
Master: 1851-1852 - H. F. G. C. Bartels Voyages: 1851/52 - Lisbon/Santos 1852 - Rio Grande do Sul
On 27 November 1852, the LOUISE & EMILIE ex HEBE was lost off Dungeness on a voyage from Hamburg to Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, with the loss of 36 of 72 passengers; the survivors proceeded to Brazil on board the Bremen bark SAUSER.
Sources: Walter Kresse, ed., Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger Reedereien, 1824-1888, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5 (Hamburg: Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, 1969), vol. 1, pp. 35 and 271; e-mail from Julio Klafke
, 27 April 1999.
[27 Apr 1999]
The British "ship" HELEN, 707 tons, Jn. Foster, master, arrived at Portland on 12 November 1852 (Portland Guardian; registered under 15 November 1852 in the Ships' Reports Inwards), from London 3 July 1852, in ballast, with 260 passengers. This vessel cleared for Moulmain, Burma, in ballast, on 28 December 1852 (Ships' Reports Outwards) [Marten A. Syme, Shipping arrivals and departures; Victorian ports, vol. 2: 1846-1855, Roebuck Society Publication No. 39 (Melbourne: [Roebuck Society], 1987), p. 509.]
Lloyd's Register of Shipping and the Canadian Ship Information Database both identify this as the British *bark* HELEN, 639/707 tons (old/new measurement), built at St. John, New Brunswick, in 1844 [National Archives of Canada, RG 42, Vol. 1340 [original reference Vol. 129 = microfilm reel # C-384), page 102.] The annual volumes of Lloyd's Register contain the following additional information:
Master: 1845/46-1847/48 - Risk 1848/49-1854/55 - J. Foster Owner: 1845/46-1847/48 - McFarlan[e] 1848/49-1854/55 - Gould & Co Port of Registry: 1845/46-1847/48 - Alloa, Scotland 1848/49-1853/54 - London 1854/55 - [not given] Port of Survey: 1845/46-1847/48 - Liverpool 1848/49-1849/50 - London 1850/51 - Newport, Wales 1851/52-1853/54 - London 1854/55 - [not given] Destined Voyage: 1845/46-1847/48 - Savan[n]a[h] 1848/49 - St. Lawrence, Moulmain 1849/50 - Moulmain 1850/51 - Savan[n]a[h] 1851/52 - Quebec, New Orleans 1852/53-1853/54 - New Orleans 1854/55 - [not given]
[Note that the destined voyage was the voyage the master *intended* to take at the time the annual volume of Lloyd's Register was published. These plans were of course subject to change, as in the case of the HELEN, which sailed for Australia in July 1852.]
The HELEN last appears in Lloyd's Register for 1854/55, in an abbreviated entry (viz., no ports of registry or survey, and no destined voyage). Lloyd's Register gives no indication of the fate of the vessel. Although it is possible that she was "sold foreign", she was most probably wrecked. The Parliamentary returns of wrecks on the coasts of the British Isles for 1853 and 1854 contain no reference to the HELEN, so if she was indeed wrecked it was almost certainly on foreign shores, possibly on the return voyage Moulmain in 1853, or in North American waters the following year.
[12 Jul 1998]
HELEN McGAW7> (1844)
The ship HELEN McGAW, 598 tons, was built at Medford, Massachusetts, in 1847, and registered at the port of New York on 29 August 1850.
|1848 -||Albert A. Burwell, master, advertised as sailing in Richardson, Watson & Co's line of sailing packets between New York and Liverpool.|
|1848 -||Albert A. Burwell, master, advertised as sailing in Richardson, Watson & Co's Black Diamond Line of sailing packets between Philadelphia and Liverpool.|
|1849 -||G. T. Tucker, master, advertised as sailing in Richardson, Watson & Co's Black Diamond Line of sailing packets between Philadelphia and Liverpool.|
|1850 -||William H. Lunt, master, advertised as sailing in the Black Star Line of sailing packets between New York and Liverpool.|
|15 Aug 1851 -||William H. Lunt, master, arrived at San Francisco, 173 days from Norfolk, Virginia, via Rio de Janeiro and Valparaiso, with government stores and Capt. Stone and 23 of the Ordnance Company.|
|30 Mar 1853 -||Arrived San Francisco, 161 days from New York.|
|1856 -||W. S. Tucker, master, advertised as sailing in the "Line of Liverpool Packets" (known in Liverpool as "Line of Philadelphia Packets") between Philadelphia and Liverpool.|
Sources: Forrest R. Holdcamper, comp., List of American-flag Merchant Vessels that received Certificates of Enrollment or Registry at the Port of New York, 1789-1867 (Record Groups 41 and 36), National Archives Publication 68-10, Special Lists 22 (Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Service, 1968), p. 311; Carl C. Cutler, Queens of the Western Ocean; The Story of America's Mail and Passenger Sailing Lines (Annapolis: United States Naval Institute, c1961), pp. 385, 386, 404, and 406.
[24 Jan 2001]
HELENA SLOMAN (1850)
Water color of the HELENA SLOMAN, by J. Gottheil, 1850. 53 x 39 cm. Rob. M. Sloman jr, Hamburg. Source: Clas Broder Hansen, Passenger liners from Germany, 1816-1990, translated from the German by Edward Force (West Chester, Pennsylvania: Schiffer Pub., c1991), p. 20. To request a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
The steamship HELENA SLOMAN was built for the Hamburg shipowner Robert Miles Sloman by T. & Wakefield Pim, Hull, and was launched in 1850 (Bielbrief 11 May 1850). 235 x 27.9 x 18 Hamburg Fuß (1 Hamburg Fuß = .28657 meter) length x breadth x depth of hold / 220.5 x 26.2 feet, length x breadth; clipper bow, 1 funnel, 3 masts, iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 9 knots; accommodation for 42 passengers in 1st class, 32 in 2nd class, and 236 in steerage.
Her captain was Paul Nickels Paulsen, who had previously commanded the Sloman sailing ships Howard (I) (1840-1845), and Howard (II) (1846-1849).
The HELENA SLOMAN, the first German transatlantic steamship, completed only 2 voyages between Hamburg and New York:
Capt. Paulsen's career appears to have been largely unaffected by the loss of the HELENA SLOMAN, and he went on to command the Sloman sailing ships GUTENBERG (1851-1852), GEORGE CANNING (1852-1853), and HUMBOLDT (I) (1853-1858).
Sources: Walter Kresse, ed., Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger Reedereien, 1824-1888, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5. (Hamburg: Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, 1969), vol. 2, p. 209; Karl Werner Klüber, "Aus Hamburger Schiffslisten, IV: Der erste deutsche Ozeandampfer machte nur drei Überfahrten," Genealogie, Bd. 8, Jg. 16 (1967), S. 656ff (includes passenger lists for all three voyages); Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 1 (1975), pp. 195-198 (lithograph).
[06 Oct 1998]
HENRI IV (1826)
The U.S. ship HENRI IV was built at New York by Christian Bergh & Co in 1826. 427 tons; 116 ft x 28 ft 8 in x 14 ft 4 in (length x beam x depth of hold). She sailed for the Old Line of sailing packets between New York and Le Havre from 1826 to 1837.
Master: 1826-1828 - William Skiddy 1828-1832 - John B. Pell 1832 - John Rockett
During her packet service, her westbound passages (from Le Havre to New York) averaged 36 days, her shortest passage being 20 days (a time not surpassed on the Le Havre-New York route until the ISAAC BELL, which sailed for the same line from 1851 to 1854), her longest passage 55 days. Her most exciting passage, however, was not on the trans-Atlantic route, but a coastal voyage. On 15 June 1829, the HENRI IV, Pell, master, arrived at New York, eight days out of Charleston. During the eight-day voyage Pell and his crew had rescued, under conditions of extreme danger, the crews and passengers (in all, over 50 individuals) of three sinking coastal packets: the schooner CORAL, Jocelyn, master, with 21 members of the Charleston theatrical company; the schooner GRAMPUS, Egen, master, from Charleston for Philadelphia; and the schooner CATHERINE, Waring, master, from New Orleans for New York.
In 1837, because of her small size and outdated accommodations, the HENRI IV was released from the line and became a transient. She was wrecked on the bar at the entrance to New York harbor on 25 December 1839, arriving from Mazatlan.
Sources: Robert Greenhalgh Albion, Square-riggers on Schedule; The New York Sailing Packets to England, France, and the Cotton Ports (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1938), pp. 284-285; Carl C. Cutler, Queens of the Western Ocean; The Story of America's Mail and Passenger Sailing Lines (Annapolis: United States Naval Institute, c1961), pp. 212-213.
[02 Aug 1998]
Bremen ship HENRY  - See: LOUIS HENRY (1855)
Norwegian bark HENRY PARR  - See: VICTORIA (1850)
U.S. Army transport steamship HERCULES  - See: BULGARIA (1898)
[Right] Lithograph of the HERMANN with 2 stacks after her second set of boilers was installed in 1851. Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts. Source: Cedric Ridgely-Nevitt, American Steamships on the Atlantic (Newark: University of Delaware Press, c1981), p. 134. To request a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
[Left] Oil painting (detail) of the steamships WASHINGTON and HERMANN in the Upper Bay of New York, with Fort William, Governor's Island, in the background, signed "J[ames] E[dward] Buttersworth", about 1860. 69,2 x 87 cm. Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Connecticut, Inv. Nr. 38.561. Source: Amerikanische Schiffsbilder; Gemälde und Aquerelle des 18. bis 20. Jahrhunderts aus amerikanischen Sammlungen, Sonderausstellung anläßlich des 200jährigen Jubliäums der amerikanischen Unabhängigkeit 7. Mai bis 20. Juni 1976 (Hamburg: Altonaer Museum in Hamburg / Norddeutsches Landesmuseum, , Farbtafel 14. Note that Buttersworth cannot have painted this likeness of the HERMANN from life, since she never had a single tall funnel. He most probably used as his model a representation of the WASHINGTON after her refit of November 1849/March 1850, when her short funnel tucked in between the paddle boxes was replaced by a much taller one very far forward. To request a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
[Right] A bark and, behind her, the steamship HERMANN, at anchor in San Francisco Bay, c1865. Detail of a photograph of the brigantine HESPERIAN on the ways at Henry B. Tichenor & Co's San Francisco Dry Dock, at the foot of Second Street, San Francisco. Source: John Haskell Kemble, San Francisco Bay; A Pictorial Maritime History (Cambridge, Maryland: Cornell Maritime Press, 1957), p. 61, courtesy of Morton-Waters Co. To request a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
The steamship HERMANN was built for the Ocean Steam Navigation Co by Jacob A. Westervelt & William Mackey, New York, and was launched on 30 September 1847. Original configuration: 1,734 45/95 tons; 234 feet 11 inches x 39 feet 6 inches x 31 feet 7 inches; 1 funnel (short, tucked in between the paddle boxes), 3 masts (bark rig); wooden construction, 3 decks, square stern, billethead, figurehead of Hermann, the Germanic hero; side-wheel propulsion, 2 side-lever engines (Novelty Iron Works, New York), bore 6 feet x stroke 10 feet, 12 psi, 11 revolutions per minute, aproximate ihp 821 (measured in service); diameter of paddle wheels 36 feet, width of floats 8 feet; service speed 9 knots; accommodation for approximately 180 passengers in 1st class; cost $360,000 (Ridgely-Nevitt) / $410,000 (Kemble).
The HERMANN was the second of two steamships completed for the Ocean Steam Navigation Co, which had been incorporated in May 1846 to carry the mails between New York and Continental Europe for a renewable term of five years. The mail contract offered two alternatives: (1) the company could build two steamships and send them to Bremerhaven, with two sailings per month from New York, for an annual payment of $400,000, or (2) if, preferred, once all four steamships were built it could dispatch the other two of them to Le Havre, with once sailing a month from New York to Bremen and one sailing a month from New York to Le Havre, for an annual payment of $350,000. The lesser amount of this second alternative was in consideration of the shorter distance from New York to Le Havre.
The HERMANN was laid down sometime after the launch of her sister ship, the WASHINGTON, on 30 January 1847, the delay in starting being the result of financial problems, the company being unable to raise sufficient capital to fund her construction. Her intended name was LAFAYETTE, suggesting that the company intended to use her on the proposed New York-Le Havre service. However, she was launched as HERMANN. She was outwardly identical to the WASHINGTON, but was four and one half feet longer, almost a foot broader, and surveyed at 74 tons more; her weather deck was clear except for the wheel house aft and two small houses near the paddle boxes which served as entryways to the cabins below. On the main deck was the Grand Saloon, over 85 feet long, with "family" rooms for four to six passengers installed on the deck below.
21 March 1848, maiden voyage, Eleazer Crabtree, master, New York - Halifax (entered in distress, 28 March) - Cowes (arrived 11 April) - Bremen; 600 miles out encountered a storm and for 40 hours lay to, head to sea, making no progress; headrails smashed, part of the overhanging housing of the wheels torn away, and the hull deflected so much that both injection pipes carrying water into the condensers were broken; repaired at Halifax and proceeded. On return passage, sailed from Bremerhaven 19 April, calling at Southampton for further engine repairs; sailed from Southampton 6 May, arriving off Sandy Hook 21 May, but forced to wait 36 hours for the fog to clear before she could come up to her dock; passengers included a dozen camels and two Arab drivers, especially imported from Egypt by the S. B. Howes Circus.
The HERMANN made 4 voyages in 1848 and 5 in 1849, most of them marked by mechanical difficulties, a result of the fact that her hull, like that of the WASHINGTON, was insufficiently rigid to counter the weight of the paddle wheels, shafting, and machinery, which resulted in frequent breaking of pipes and shafts. In addition, while the engines were large enough to propel the ship at a respectable speed, the boilers failed to raise sufficient pressure to power them effectively, and what steam they did produce required the consumption of inordinate quantities of coal. 9 October 1850 - 29 March 1851, HERMANN withdrawn from service for modifications; two original boilers replaced by four smaller ones; short single funnel tucked in between the paddle boxes replaced by two much taller funnels, very close together, fore of the paddle boxes; service speed increased to 10.5 knots; bark rig retained, but the main yard usually stowed on deck, giving the rig the appearance of a barkentine.
Upon the outbreak of the Crimean War in 1854, France and England began to charter transport to carry men and supplies to the Black Sea. The Cunard Line lost so many steamships to war service that she abandoned the New York half of her operations after December 1854. As a result of the withdrawal of British ships, the Ocean Steam Navigation Co's Bremen service gained freight and passengers, and 1855 became the most successful year in the line's history. However, with the end of hostilities, the chartered vessels returned home, interrupted routes were resumed, and many new services planned. In June 1856, the Hamburg-America Line initiated steamship service between Hamburg and New York, and in December 1856, a consortium of Bremen merchants founded Norddeutscher Lloyd, ordering four screw steamships of over 2,000 tons apiece, to be placed in service in 1858. On 25 April 1857, the British steamship QUEEN OF THE SOUTH, sailed from Bremen via Southampton for New York. On the American side of the Atlantic, Cornelius Vanderbilt turned from the New York - California trade to the transatlantic trade, and on 16 April 1857 his steamship ARIEL inaugurated his service between New York and Bremen. With revenues declining disastrously as other lines entered the field, and without the funds to replace its aging ships, the Ocean Steam Navigation Co was forced to complete its existing mail contract and to go out of business. 1 June 1857, expiration of the mail contract. 17 June 1857, last voyage, Bremen - Southampton - New York (47 roundtrip voyage completed).
31 July 1857, offered for sale together with the WASHINGTON, but because of a severe business depression the vessels were not sold until they were purchased at auction for $40,000 in June 1858 by the newly formed California, New York & European Steamship Co.
23 August 1858, Edward Cavendy, master (and part owner), sailed from New York for San Francisco with over 500 passengers. Capt. Cavendy had only $300 on board to finance the voyage; called for coal at Valparaiso (18 September), Lota, Chile, and Valparaiso (24 October), the purchases made on credit, with bonds on the ship left as surety. At Valparaiso, Capt. Cavendy received orders from New York instructing him to call at Panama, to pick up passengers from the WASHINGTON, which was supposed to stop at Aspinwall on her way to the Pacific. 9 November 1858, arrived at Panama; Capt. Cavendy found no passengers and no news of the WASHINGTON, which he expected to meet. The California, New York & European Steamship Co had failed and had been replaced by an organization of even more dubious integrity, the American Atlantic & Ship Canal Co, whose agent in Panama had no credentials, no funds and a large, unpaid hotel bill. The agent presented Capt. Cavendy with a letter ordering the HERMANN to stop at San Juan del Sur, on the western coast of Nicaragua, to meet passengers on the WASHINGTON, which was to have sailed from New York on 6 November for San Juan del Norte, on the eastern coast of Nicaragua. Unable to purchase coal because the freight bill was unpaid, and as part owner of the ship facing financial ruin in New York on account of her debts, Capt. Cavendy left the HERMANN under the command of the first officer, Mr. Patterson, and returned to New York to rescue his situation. Using the coal and provisions still on board, Patterson sailed the HERMANN to San Francisco, where she arrived on 27 November 1858.
February 1859, seized at San Francisco by the authorities for her debts and sold by the U.S. Marshal to Capt. George Wright for $40,000; made one trip to the Northwest coast, after which she was said to have been "bought off" by the Pacific Mail Steamship Co. The HERMANN saw little service on the Pacific, as she was not adapted for tropical service to Panama and was too costly to send on the northern run to the Columbia river. By this time she had lost her bowsprit, clipper bow, and figurehead; the stem was now straight, with a forward rake. Winter 1862-63, made one voyage from San Francisco to Panama for M. O. Roberts's People's Line. 14 August 1866, auctioned off to T. J. L. Smiley for $17,000, and by him sold to the Pacific Mail Steamship Co. 14 November 1866, proceeded to Mare Island, to be refitted for a voyage to Yokohama, where the Pacific Mail planned to use her as a store ship and spare steamer. 1 March 1867, sailed from San Francisco for Yokohama. Since she was still an operational, a rarity in Japanese waters, it was soon considered more profitable to put her to active use, and in 1868 she was placed in coastwise service, from time to time being chartered as a transport by feudal Japanese authorities. 13 February 1869, en route from Yokohama to the Straits of Sangar, wrecked on Point Kawatzu, with a loss of over half the 350 Japanese troops aboard.
Sources: Cedric Ridgely-Nevitt, American Steamships on the Atlantic (Newark: University of Delaware Press, c1981), pp. 132-139, 357, 358, 367; John Haskell Kemble, The Panama Route, 1848-1869, University of California Studies in History, 29 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1943), pp. 230-231; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 1 (1975), pp. 186-189.
[12 Mar 2001]
[Right] Oil painting on canvas of the steamship HERMANN, signed Wettering 1870. 45 x 67,5 cm. Focke-Museum, Bremen, Inv.-Nr. 32.97. Purchased in 1932 from H. B. Sanders, Bremen. Source: Johannes Lachs, Schiffe aus Bremen; Bilder und Modelle im Focke-Museum (Bremen: H. M. Hauschild, ), p. 164, no. 137. To request a copy of this picture, contact the Focke-Museum.
The steamship HERMANN was ordered in August 1864 and laid down for Norddeutscher Lloyd as the EUROPA by Caird & Co., Greenock (yard #84 [Kludas] / 124 [Drechsel]), but was launched in June 1865 as the HERMANN, in honor of the founder of Norddeutscher Lloyd (Hermann Heinrich Meier) and of the Germanic hero. 2,715 tons; 96,92 x 12,19 meters (318 x 40 feet; length x beam); clipper bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 11.5 knots; accommodation for 80 passengers in 1st class, 120 in 2nd class, and 500 in steerage; crew of 105
17 December 1865, maiden voyage, Bremen - Southampton - New York. 1872, engines compounded by Day, Summers & Co, Southampton; service speed 12.5 knots, coal consumption cut by 30 percent. 21 April 1884, stranded on the Tegeler Plate off the mouth of the Weser, and broke her keel; complete reconstruction with straight stem, triple-expansion engine. 22 December 1892, last voyage, Bremen-New York. 13 February 1893, sold to Sir W. G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, in part exchange for the H. H. MEIER. 1895, sold to H. F. Swan, Newcastle. 1896, scrapped in Genoa.
Sources: Arnold Kludas, Die Seeschiffe des Norddeutschen Lloyd, Bd. 1: 1857 bis 1919 (Herford: Koehler, c1991), pp. 12-13 (pictures); Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails (Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994-c1995), vol. 1, p. 18, no. 13 (illustration); Nigel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd. ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p. 545.
[01 Mar 1998]
Model of the Bremen ship HERMANN, c1850, possibly by Hinrich Raschen, Vegesack. 166 x 55 x 125 cm. Focke-Museum, Bremen, Inv.-Nr. B.7, acquired in 1899. Source: Johannes Lachs, Schiffe aus Bremen; Bilder und Modelle im Focke-Museum (Bremen: H. M. Hauschild, ), p. 96, no. 70. No ship named HERMANN was registered at Bremen in the early 1850's. However, the model is heavily restored and it is possible that the name HERMANN is a mistake by the restorer for the original name HERMINE. To request a copy of this picture, contact the Focke-Museum.
The Bremen ship HERMINE (International Signal Code QBCG) was built at Vegesack/Grohn by Johann Lange for the Bremen firm of F. M. Vietor Söhne, and was launched on 29 April 1846. 233 Commerzlasten / 594 tons register; 36,2 x 9,0 x 5,9 meters (length x beam x depth of hold).
The HERMINE was engaged primarily in the American trade. Her masters under the Bremen flag were, in turn: Joh. Fr. Volckmann, Hinrich Raschen (1850-1855), Johann Hashagen, Hinrich Raschen again (1856), Lüder Stricker, F. Brunken (1861-1864), Anton Reinhard Wilms, C. A. H. Stromeyer, Anton Reinhard Wilms again, and L. Fich.
The Vegsacker Wochenblatt for 21 February 1847 reported:
Das Br. Schiff HERMINE, Capt. Raschen, von Bremen in Newyork angekommen und am 31. Jan. geankert um Quarantine abzuhalten, wurde in Folge starken Eisganges von seinen Ankern und nahe Townends Dock auf Strand getrieben, ist jedoch bald wieder abgekommen und mit wenig Schaden nach der Stadt bugsirt.
In a letter to his his family dated 30 April 1864, the ordinary seaman Paul Mewes described the HERMINE and Capt. Brunken as follows:
Ich hätte kein schlechteres Schiff treffen können, als die HERMINE; keinen schlechteren Capitain als Brunken. ... Arbeiten muß man hier nicht als Menschen, sondern als Ochsen. Streit, Scandal, Schlägereien sowohl mit den Officieren als unter uns, fällt alle Tage vor und ist etwas ganz gewöhnliches.
In April 1863, the HERMINE sailed from Peru for Europe with a cargo of Saltpeter. Mewes wrote to his parents of this voyage:
Nach einer langen 132tägigen Reise kamen wir glücklich am 15. September in Falmouth an, wo ich Eure lieben Briefe erhielt, wozu ich mich sehr freute. Wir gingen noch denselben Tag, da uns der Lootsenkutter die Ordre an Bord brachte, nach London. Beim Cap Horn hatten wir viele und sehr schwere Stürme. Wir verloren die große Bramstenge, den oberen Teil des großes Mastes nebst der Raa. Ferner schlugen uns die Schanzen an Deck an der einen Seite fast ganz weg, so daß wir immer bei Sturm an Deck bis am Leib ins Wasser standen. Das Schlimmste aber war, daß wir ein großes Leck erhielten im Vordersteven, so daß wir die ganze Reise Tag und Nacht pumpen mußten. Beim Cap Horn wollte die Uhl sogar Ladung über Bord werfen, um das Schiff zu erleichtern.
His opinion of life on board the HERMINE remained negative:
Das Seeleben gefällt mir noch sehr gut, aber icht wollte doch, daß ich hier erst von Bord wäre, und auf ein anderes Schiff. Hier ist immer Streit und Schlägerei, bald unter uns und bald mit den Offizieren. Die Uhl hat uns sogar schon zu sich kommen lassen und hat uns die Gesetze vorgelesen, und will sogar die Anführer von uns durch Gefängnis bestrafen. Der Proviant ist auch nicht mehr gut, viele Sachen als Butter usw. sind all seit einem halben Jahr eingegangen. ...
In the early 1870's Capt. Wilms purchased the HERMINE, which had been re-rigged as a bark. He continued to command her until he passed command to L. Fich.
In 1881, the HERMINE was sold to Gaedertz sen. & Co and Heinr. Fr. Chr. Bremer, from Lübeck, and placed under the command of the latter. She appears in the records until 1883, at which time she was either wrecked or sold foreign.
Source: Peter-Michael Pawlik, Von der Weser in die Welt; Die Geschichte der Segelschiffe von Weser und Lesum und ihrer Bauwerften 1770 bis 1893, Schriften des Deutschen Schiffahrtsmuseums, Bd. 33 (Hamburg: Kabel, c1993), pp. 209-210, no. 186.
[15 Feb 2001]
The Oldenburg Schonergaliot HERMINE was built at Elsfleth, by Ahlers, in 1851. I have no information on her history before she was purchased from Cornelius, Elsfleth, on 16 February 1856, by David Mewes, Hamburg, who renamed the vessel JULIUS. Measurements (Hamburg): 51 Commerzlasten; 84,9 x 19,4 x 10,7 Hamburger Fuß (1 Hamburger Fuß = .28657 meter), length x beam x depth of hold, zwischen den Steven.
Masters: 1856-1858 - owner 1858 - G. Rettmer Voyages: 1856/57 - St. Petersburg/intermediate ports/Middlesborough/Altona 1857 - Königsberg 1857/58 - Riga/intermediate ports/Puerto Cabello/Laguna d. T., Mexico/Altona
The JULIUS ex HERMINE passed into Danish hands "durch Erbfolge" in 1858.
Source: Walter Kresse, ed., Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger Reedereien, 1824-1888, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5 (Hamburg: Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, 1969), vol. 2, p. 49.
[27 Apr 1999]
British steamship HERO [1864-1865] - See: PROPELLER (1855)
HERO OF SIDON (1841)
The British bark HERO OF SIDON, 510/615 tons (old/new measurement) was built at River John, Nova Scotia, by George Smith in 1841. She was originally registered at Pictou, but in 1843 she was transferred to Liverpool registry. The following information is taken from the annual volumes of Lloyd's Register of Shipping for 1842/43 through 1851/52:
Master: 1842/43-1848/49 - "M'Caragr" 1849/50 - [no entry] 1850/51 - J. Spence 1851/52 - J. Govea Owner: 1842/43-1848/49 - "M'Calmnt" 1849/50 - [no entry] 1850/51-1851/52 - Nichols Port of Registry: Liverpool Port of Survey: Liverpool Destined Voyage: 1842/43-1845/46 - New Orleans 1845/46-1848/49 - Trieste 1849/50 - [no entry] 1850/51 - New Orleans 1851/52 - "Apalchie" [possibly Apalachee Bay, Florida] Rating: 1842/43-1844/45 - A1 1845/46-1848/49 - suspended for failing to comply with "Sec. 63" 1849/50 - [no entry] 1850/51-1851/52 - AE1
The entry in Lloyd's Register for 1851/52 is marked "condemned".
[08 Dec 1997]
The Bremen brig HERSCHEL, named after the discoverer of the planet Uranus, was built at Vegesack/Grohn by Johann Lange, for his own account, and was launched on 18 November 1843. 83 Commerzlasten / 209 tons register; 28,2 x 6,7 x 3,9 meters (length x breadth x depth of hold).
The HERSCHEL was intended for the Caribbean trade, and her maiden voyage, under captain Johann Lamke, of Vegesack, was from Bremerhaven to Galveston. In 1847, she was sold to the Bremen firm of Lange & Grave. Lamke was followed as captain, in turn, by Hinrich Raschen, from Lesembrok, and Claus Nordenholt, from Vegesack, who was in command of the brig when she went missing in 1858.
Source: Peter-Michael Pawlik, Von der Weser in die Welt; Die Geschichte der Segelschiffe von Weser und Lesum und ihrer Bauwerften 1770 bis 1893, Schriften des Deutschen Schiffahrtsmuseums, Bd. 33 (Hamburg: Kabel, c1993), p. 204, no. 174.
[29 Jan 1998]
Hamburg ship HERSCHEL  - See: ORLEANS (1833)
Hamburg ship HERSCHEL  - See: EDITH BYRNE (1856)
The Hamburg bark HERTHA was built at Königsberg, East Prussia, by Eggert, for the Hamburg shipowner C. W. Herwig, in 1865; Bielbrief (certificate of registry) 14 September 1865. 332 Commerzlasten; 173.6 x 32.1 x 21.1 Hamburg Fuß (1 Hamburg Fuß = .28657 meter), length x beam x depth of hold, zwischen den Steven.
Masters: 1865-1866 - F. P. Tutein 1866-1873 - J. L. J. Schreiber Voyages: 1865/1866 - New York/intermediate ports/New York 1866-1871 - England/Cadiz/intermediate ports/Callao 1871 - England/intermediate ports
On 17 May 1873, the HERTHA was sold to Pecket, in Sunderland, England, who renamed her CLIFTON.Source: Walter Kresse, ed., Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger Reedereien, 1824-1888, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5 (Hamburg: Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, 1969), Bd. 1, S. 232.
[17 Nov 1997]
HERZOGIN VON BRABANT (1858)
The Bremen bark HERZOGIN VON BRABANT was built at Neu-Rönnebeck (now Bremen-Blumenthal), by Claus Dierks & Co, for the Bremen firm of Ichon & Co, and was launched on 24 June 1858. 247 Commerzlasten / 572 tons; 42,4 x 9,4 x 5,1 meters (length x beam x depth of hold). Masters of the bark were, in turn, A. Beling, A. B. Wilms, and C. A. T. Strohmeyer.
The HERZOGIN VON BRABANT was originally employed in the North Atlantic trade, sailing between Bremen and New York. The Wochenschrift für Vegesack und Umgegend for 24 March 1860 reports on a particularly stormy crossing:
Die Bremer Bark HERZOGIN VON BRABANT, Capt. Beling, am 3. März in Newyork von Rotterdam angekommen, hatte eine sehr stürmische Reise. Am 31. Jan. auf 48 Grad 2 Min. Nord und 8 Grad 23 Min. West wehte ein äusserst heftiger Sturm, welcher in einem vollkommenen Orkan endigte, worin der HERZOGIN VON BRABANT das Bugspriet sprang, den Klüverbaum und Segel verlor. Das Schiff arbeitete sehr schwer, und wurden Böte und Schanzkleidung durch Sturzseen eingeschlagen.
In 1863, the HERZOGIN VON BRABANT rescued the crew of the sinking British brig CLIO. The Weser-Zeitung for 2 March 1863 reports:
Falmouth, 27. Febr. Br. HERZOGIN VON BRABANT, Capt. Beling, von Newyork nach Bremen bestimmt, landete hier gestern die Besatzung der engl. Schunerbrig CLIO, Capt M'Kinnon. Letztere war mit einer Ladung Mehl und Speck von Newyork nach Newport bestimmt, wurde am 3. Febr. auf 38 Grad 40 Min. Nord und 65 Grad West in einem schweren Sturme leck, warf einen Theil der Ladung über Bord und wurde am 5. Februar von der Mannschaft verlassen, indem die HERZOGIN VON BRABANT dieselbe an Bord nahm und hierherbrachte.
In October 1867, the HERZOGIN VON BRABANT, under the command of Capt. Strohmeyer, sailed from the Thames River for Batavia, where she arrived on 8 February 1868. She either remained or returned to "Indian waters", since at the end of February 1870 she arrived at Falmouth from Rangoon.
In May 1871, the HERZOGIN VON BRABANT was sold to J. A. Jacobsen & Co, Tönsberg, Norway, and renamed NATHANAEL; she was sold again, in 1875, to Johs. Harbitz & Co, also of Tönsberg. From 1871 to 1889, she was commanded by Capt. J. J. Jacobsen, who was succeeded by Capt. Thue. In 1890, the NATHANAEL was sold to the firm of J. Prebensen, Österrisör (port of registry, Risör), and placed under the command of Capt. Gahrsen, followed by Capt. Pedersen. Around the turn of the century she changed hands twice again, first to Hans Olsens Dykkerforretning, Bergen, and shortly afterwards to the Actieselskab Bark Nathanael (J. Martens), also of Bergen. Her last captain was J. A. Jensen.
In November 1900, the bark NATHANAEL, bound from Boston for Bergen, encountered heavy weather in the North Sea, losing all her masts. On 16 November, she was towed to Grimsby, where she was subsequently condemned and broken up.
Source: Peter-Michael Pawlik, Von der Weser in die Welt; Die Geschichte der Segelschiffe von Weser und Lesum und ihrer Bauwerften 1770 bis 1893, Schriften des Deutschen Schiffahrtsmuseums, Bd. 33 (Hamburg: Kabel, c1993), pp. 72-73, no. 14.
[28 Feb 1999]