1 pound shrimp
4 ounces pork fat
2 egg white
1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
10 slices white bread
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons ham, minced (optional)
3 quarts oil for deep-frying
1/4 cup Szechuan Peppercorns
1/4 cup Salt
- Shell and devein shrimp. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Flatten each shrimp with the broad side of a cleaver to make chopping easier. Use cleaver to finely chop shrimp and pork fat.
- Combine chopped pork fat and shrimp; chop to a fine paste. Place shrimp paste in a medium bowl.
- Use a spooon or your hands to mix shirmp paste with egg white, wine, salt, ginger root and cornstarch; set aside.
- Remove crusts from bread. Cut each slice into 4 squares. Mound 1 rounded teaspoon shrimp paste on each square of bread and press gently. Garnish with sesame seeds and minced ham, if desired.
- Heat 6 cups oil in a wok over high to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Reduce heat to medium. Carefully lower bread squares shrimp-side down into hot oil with a slotted metal spoon.
- Deep-fry 4 or 5 at a time until edges of bread turn golden, about 1 minute. Turn each bread and cook other side 30 seconds. Remove from oil with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining bread squares.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with Peppersalt, if desired.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat 1 minute. Add peppercorns and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and lett cool. Grind peppercorns into a fine powder with a mortar and pestle or pepper grinder.
- Add salt; mix well. Store in a tightly convered container. Makes about 1/4 cup.
Chili Con Queso
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely minced
2 tomatoes, seeded peeled & chopped
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup pickled jalapeno's, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Melt butter in a sklillet and cook the onion until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cokk for 15 minutes over medium heat until sauce is thick.
- Add the cream cheese,c ream and jalapeno peppers. Stir over low heat until cheese had melted completely; do not boil. Season with salt.
- Pour into serving dish and spinkle with crumbled bacon
2 large avocados -- seeded & peeled
1 small tomato -- finely chopped
1/2 small red onion -- finely chopped
1/2 small red pepper -- finely chopped
1 jalapeno chili -- finely chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
Notes: Makes 2 cups, serve with tortilla chips.
- Mash avocados in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and dash of pepper.
- Cover and chill up to 8 hours.
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 8oz pkg. cream cheese
1 8oz. can baby clams, minced
1/4 cup clam juice
salt & pepper to taste
- Drain clams reserving just under 1/4 cup of juice. Rinse and mince well.
- Add minced clams, juice ans seasonings to softened cream cheese; mix well.
- Chill to combine flavours at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge and serve at room temperature.
Roasted Garlic Dip
3 tablespoons chopped almonds
12 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 large shallots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
milk, to thin
- Toast almonds in a preheated 325ø F oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, lower heat to 275ø.
- In an ovenproof dish with a cover, place the oil, then the garlic cloves. Cover and bake at 275ø for 40 minutes, or until tender but not brown. Let garlic
- Place garlic and oil in a blender or food processor. Whirl for a few seconds.
- Add cream cheese, Worcestershire, mustard and sour cream. Blend well.
- Add the parsley, almonds, rosemary, shallots and salt and pepper. Blend again. Check consistency. If too thick, add a little milk and blend.
- Scoop out into a serving bowl and chill at least 2 hours.
1 can bean dip
3 medium avocados
1/3 cup picante sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
8 ounces sour cream
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/4 cup green onions
1 small roma tomato, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup sliced black olives
In an 8 or 9 inch square pan, spread can of bean dip to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Next, mash the avocados, and add the lemon juice, and picante sauce to it; mix well.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the bean dip.
- Mix the sour cream and the taco seasoning mix together and spread over the avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle green onions, chopped tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and black olives over all. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/8 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
2/3 cup currants
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 assorted crackers
1 apple wedges
- Place the cream cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and salt in a mixer bowl and beat at low speed just until well mixed.
- Stir in the pecans and currants. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Refrigerate the cheese mixture for 30 minutes or until slightly firm, then shape into a ball.
- Roll in the chopped parsley to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Place on a platter surrounded with crackers and apple wedges.
- Notes & SuggestionsFor a nice Christmas theme shape into a pinecone, cover with whole almonds in rows, add a plastic holly berry at the top for a stem and voila, a cheery holiday Pine Cone.
Ham & Broccoli Swirl
1/2 package frozen puff pastry sheets -- (1 sheet)
1 tablespoon water
4 ounces whipped cream cheese with chives spread
10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and finely chopped
1 cup cooked ham, finely chopped
- Wrap 1 pastry sheet in plastic wrap and thaw at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mix egg and water and set aside.
- Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll into 16- by 12-inch rectangle. Spread cream cheese over rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges. Top with broccoli and ham.
- Starting at long side, roll up like a jelly roll, only to center. Roll up opposite side to center. Brush between rolls with egg mixture, then gently press rolls together. Cut into 32 (1/2-inch) slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Brush tops with egg mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
16 slices french bread baguette rounds, 1/3" thick
- Place first 3 ingredients in bowl. Mix in enough mayonnaise to form thick spread.
- Preheat broiler. Top bread rounds with spread. Arrange bruschetta on baking sheet.
- Broil until spread is heated through and begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
This is similar to the traditional artichoke dip that so many people make and love, but the
marinated artichokes add a bit of punch, and the presentation is very nice.
Smoked Oyster & Cream Cheese Roll
1 can smoked oysters
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Garlic juice or powder to taste
1 tsp. onion, grated
- Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and
onion together. Spread mixture on wax paper.
- Chop oysters and put on cheese mixture.
- Roll like a jelly roll. Freeze to harden, then put in
refrigerator until ready to serve.
Avocado Cream filled Veggies
2 avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
2 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
1 each green and red bell pepper, seeded and cut
into thick strips
- Blend avocados, cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and hot pepper
sauce in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Spoon filling into celery pieces, mushroom caps and pepper strips or
use pastry tube to pipe filling onto vegetables.
Serving Suggestions & Notes
Garnishing can be as creative or as simple as you like.
Top with fresh sprigs of parsley, dill, or chopped chives. Sprinkle
with paprika, cayenne pepper, parsley flakes or add sliced olives, small shrimp or pimento.
1 pint oysters
1/2 stick butter
1 package dry italian dressing mix
2 cups croutons
1 package mozzarella cheese
1 cup white wine or vermouth
black pepper to taste
oregano to taste
green onions, optional
- Melt butter in frying pan. Add dressing mix. Heat until bubbling. You may add mushrooms and green onions at this point.
- Place oysters, cut in half in a casserole dish. Pour in mixture from frying pan. Add handful of croutons.
- Top with cheese to cover. Add 1/4 cup wine and top with oregano and pepper to taste.
- Put in cold oven and bake at 325° until bubbling and cheese melts.
Recipe serves: 4
24 large shrimp, shells on
4 Tbs. butter
4 Tbs. olive oil
10 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Preheat broiler, butterfly shrimp with shells on. (Cut along the inside curve of the shrimp, almost all the way through, then press flat).
- Brush each shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Place on a cookie sheet and broil, shell side up for about 4 minutes. Watch carefully that they don't burn.
- Melt butter and oil over very low heat, add garlic and salt
and continue to cook over low heat for about 7-10 minutes or until butter is golden in colour.
- Add lemon juice, stir and remove from heat.
- Place 6 shrimp per plate, pour over equal amounts of garlic butter, sprinkle with Cilantro and serve.
Creamed Oyster Puffs
1 dozen puff pastry patty shells
2 dozen small oysters
1 medium onion, chopped
5 stalks green onions, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbs. butter
4 tbsp. flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt butter, add flour and whisk until thick. Add milk and contunue whisking until smooth.
- Add seasoning, oysters and liquor from oysters; cook 2 minutes sitrring frequently.
- Place oyster mixture in baked patty shells and serve.
Recipe serves: 4-6
24 fresh oysters
4 Tbs. chopped scallions
4 Tbs. chopped parsley
4 Tbs. chopped celery
½ cup butter
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup bread crumbs
2 tsp. sour cream
Dash of Anise seed
Rock Salt for baking
Recipe serves: 4-6
- Line two pie pans with one half inch of rock salt; sprinkle with water.
- Shuck oysters and arrange shells on the rock salt.
- Sauté scallions, parsley and celery in 1/4 cup of butter until scallions are tender.
- Mix together sour cream, cheese remaining melted butter, bread crumbs and anise. Add to onion mixture.
- Spoon one tbs of mixture over each oyster.
- Bake 10 minutes.