My #3 best duty assignment in my military career!!!
Constituted on 27 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as Company C, 43d Replacement Battalion and activated on 25 February 1943 at New Orleans, Louisiana.
Funari Barracks, Mannheim, Germany
Redesignated on 1 November as the 187th Replacement Company and was inactivated on 31 March 1946 in the Phillipine Islands.
Redesignated on 21 June 1978 as the 187th Personnel Service Company, allotted to the Regular Army and activated in Germany.
Reorganized 15 May 1994 to resume command and control for Composite Teams in the Heidelberg (379th PSC) and Karlsruhe (69th PSC) communities.
In accordance with Headquarters, Department of the Army directive, the 187th Personnel Service Company was redesignated as the 510th Personnel Service Battalion (Provisional) on 16 June 1994.
Campaign Participation Credit
World War II -EAME
Rhineline Central Europe
The 510th Personnel Service Battalion Activation History
As a newly formed battalion within the United States Army Europe, the 510th Personnel Service Battalion can already claim a proud heritage. During the past 18 months, the soldiers assigned today served proudly as members of one or more of the following Personnel Service Companies:
- The 69th Personnel Service Company (Karlsruhe) was inactivated while a subordinate unit of the 21st Personnel Group in Kaiserslautern, Germany on 15 May 1993. Its soldiers continued to provide expert personnel support as members fo the 187th Personnel Service Company Composite Team until 15 June 1994 and are now members of Detachment A, 510th Personnel Service Battalion.
- The 187th Personnel Service Company (Mannheim) expanded on 16 May 1993 to include the Heidelberg and Karlsruhe Composite Teams, serving nearly 14,000 soldiers during the past year. On 16 June 1994, the 187th Personnel Service Comapny transitioned into Headquarters, 510th Personnel Service Battalion serving the Mannheim and Worms communities.
- The 379th Personnel Service Company (Heidelberg) was inactivated while a subordinate unit of the 26th Area Support Group on 15 May 1993. Its soldiers continue to provide expert personnel support as members of the 187th Personnel Service Company Composite Team until 15 June 1994 and are now members of Detachment B, 510th Personnel Service Battalion.
- The 510th Personnel Service Company (Vicenza), a subordinate Personnel Service Company to the U.S. Army Southern European Task Force, joins the 510th Personnel Service Battalion as Detachment D, 510th Personnel Service Battalion, and will continue to provide expert personnel support to SETAF.
- The 569th Personnel Service Company (Augsburg and Stuttgart), formerly V Corps, recently joined the 1st Personnel Command and now joins the 510th Personnel Service Battalion as Detachment C, 510th Personnel Service Battalion. Additionally, its headquarters has moved from Augsburg to Stuttgart.
Lieutenant Colonel Ruth B. Collins
LTC Ruth B. Collins was born in Berea, Kentucky and graduated in 1974 from the University of Kentucky, Lexington, with a Bachelor of Science degree in September 1974. She received her Masters Degree from Pepperdine University in Human Resource Management in 1980 and has been an Adjutant General officer her entire career.
LTC Collins' assignments include overseas tours in Thailand, Stuttgart and Heidelberg. In Thailand from 1975-76, she was the Administrative Officer for the 7th Radio Research Field Station. In Stuttgart from 1986-89, she was the Secretary of the General Staff and later Chief of Officer Management for Headquarters, VII Corps. In Heidelberg from 1989-90, she was Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, Headquarters, US Army Europe. Her stateside assignments include company command of a basic combat training company and duty as a Deputy Inspector General at Fort Jackson, South Carolina; Military Personnel Officer for Midwest Region Recruiting Command at Fort Sheridan, Illinois; Administrative Officer for the Military Support Group, 1984 Olympics; and Liaison Officer to the 1984/85 Presidential Inaugural Committee. Her most recent assignment was Chief, Military Personnel Branch for the Joint Chief in the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
Her military education includes the Adjutant General Corps Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, Postal Officers Course, DA Inspector General Course, Command and General Staff College, and Joint Professional Military Education Phase II at the Armed Forces Staff College.
LTC Collins' decorations include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal (three awards), Meritorious Service Medal (four awards), Army Commendation Medal (two awards), National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Army Service Ribbon and Overseas Service Ribbon. She has also been awarded the Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge.
LTC Collins is married to Edward J. "Woodie" Collins, Jr., and Infantry Officer who is assigned to 1st Personnel Command in Schwetzingen.
Change of Command and Activation Ceremony
Sullivan Barracks Parade Field
9 August 1994
Welcome to the 510th Personnel Service Battlion and Activation Ceremony where the colors will be activated and passed from Captain (P) Dennis E. Slagter to Lieutenant Colonel Ruth B. Collins on this ninth day of August 1994.
Commander of Troops
CPT Andrew M. Moore
CPL Joseph S. Breen, S1
SSG Edwin A. Pratt, S2
SFC Esmond Bakker, S3
SFC Michael E. Covington, S4
Battalion First Sergeant
1SG Michael E. Carter
CW2 Rial D. Coleman
SSG Cynthia B. Hemmingway
PSB Sergeant Major
SGM Alfred G. Lewis
Headquarters & Headquarters Detachment - Mannheim
1LT Sherrill D. Hardee
SPC(P) Eva D. Seawright
Detachment A - Mannheim
CPT Patricia A. Jenkins
SFC Stanley A. Watson
Detachment B - Heidelberg
CPT Lorri A. Hladik
SFC Isaac Ryals
Detachment C - Stuttgart
1LT Phillip W. Hart
MSG Louis A. Nieves
Detachment D - Vicenza
CPT Marie R. Jennins
1SG Earnest C. Bridges
Change of Command & Unit Transfer Ceremony
July 6, 1994, 1000 hours
Behind Building 819, Funari Barracks, Mannheim, Germany.
Captain (P) Dennis E. Slagter, Outgoing Commander
Captain Patricia A. Jenkins, Incoming Commander
SGM Alfred G, Lewis, PSB Sergeant Major
SFC Valerie Pratt, Commander of Troops
Lineage and Honors
Constituted 2 August 1943 in the United States as Headquarters, Special Troops, 69th Infantry Division.
Activated 15 Augut 1943 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
Inactivated 18 September 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
Redesignated 23 April 1954 as the 69th Replacement Company and allotted to the Regular Army.
Activated 1 May 1954 at Fort Dix, New Jersey.
Inactivated 16 January 1956 at Fort Dix, New Jersey.
Redesignated 21 June 1978 as the 69th Personnel Service Company; concurrently, relieved from assignment to the 69th Infantry Division and activated in Karlsruhe, Germany.
Restationed to Fort Sill, Oklahoma 1 July 1993.
Campaign Participation Credit
World War II - EAME
Rhineland Central Europe
Change of Command and Farewell Ceremony
May 14, 1993, 4:00pm
Neureut Gymnasium, Karlsruhe, Germany
Colonel Charley Marino Jr., Commander, 21st Personnel Group
Captain Karl B. Weidemann, Outgoing Commander
First Lieutenant Stephen W. Spalding, Jr., Incoming Commander
Sergeant First Class Miguel A. Rios, First Sergeant
Master Sergeant Francisco M. Rivera, PSC Sergeant Major
1LT T. Jonathan Edwards, Platoon Leader, 1st Platoon
CW2 Luis R. Rodriguez, Platoon Leader, 2d Platoon & OIC Karlsruhe Composite Team
SSG Kurt Barron, Platoon Sergeant, 1st Platoon
SPC Keith Rowles, Platoon Sergeant, 2d Platoon
SPC Kerri Cheatum, Guidon Bearer
SSG Denice Halley
21st Personnel Group
Inactivation Ceremony History
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 21st Personnel Group was originally constituted on 8 January 1943 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 8th Replacement Depot and was activated on 25 January 1943 at New Orleans, Louisiana. During World War II, the unit participated in the Rome-Arno campaign. On 3 June 1946, the unit was inactivated at Camp Lee, Virginia. On 16 September 1990, the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 8th replacement Depot was activated and redesignated as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 21st Personnel Group. The 21st Personnel Group was inactivated effective 16 July 1993. The Group colors have been retired to the Soldier Support Center, Fort Benjamin, Harrison, Indiana.
World War II Campaign Participation Credit
The following soldiers participated in the 21st Personnel Group Inactivation Ceremony held at Kaiserslautern, Germany on April 29, 1993 at 2:00pm:
MSG Francisco M. Rivera, Sergeant Major|
SFC Miguel A. Rios, First Sergeant
SPC Kenri J. Cheatum, Guidon Bearer
SFC Keith W. Rowles|
SSG Kurt W. Barron
SSG Timothy J. Sullivan
SSG Kevins Wheeler
SGT Floyd L. Bouknight
SGT Christopher L. Brown
SGT Carolyn R. Dessaure
SGT Alan D. Fake
SGT Glenda F. Pickett
SGT Pamela A. Tyler
CPL Judith M. Bradford
CPL Brenda J. Potts
SPC Alex C. Donley
SPC Scott A. Elrod
SPC Michael W. Forrest|
SPC Rnald B. Franklin
SPC Dwayne M. Johnson
SPC Jeffrey E. Kulpinski
SPC Andrea G. Lyons
SPC Cherin Masterson
SPC Scott G. Ororke
SPC Michael E. Richard
SPC Candace E. Watkins
PFC Dameon L. Simmons
PFC Lia M. Craig
PFC Larry E. May
PV2 Frederic L. Jones
PV2 Sarah J. Soard