Shiloh Church Interior
We visited Shiloh National Military Park during April 2008. Seeing Shiloh was a side trip from our primary tour of the Natchez Trace. Jim had always wanted to visit this place since a Utah couple he knew named their daughter Shiloh.
Above is the interior of restored log Methodist Church called Shiloh Meeting House which gave the battle its name. The church is now privately owned.
The battle which occurred here in April 1862 was over the critical railroad crossing which ran through nearby Corinth. Union forces, being decisive here, gained control of a major east-west railroad. This permitted Grant to move on to Vicksburg and take control of the Mississippi River.
Numerous persons, as well as the National Park Service, have made fine postings on the web and published books on the battle which occurred here. Therefore, we will not attempt to replicate their efforts and trust the researcher can navigate their way to these sites.