Family of Denis Murphy
Denis Murphy born in Fermoy, Co. Cork Ireland, 1799. He emigrated to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, on the "Bussorah Merchant" in 1837, accompanied by his wife Ellen Condon, also born in Ireland. He then traveled to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in 1842. "He settled in Yering, Victoria in 1859 and was the second settler there. He cleared seven acres of bush in the first two years gradually increasing to one hundred acres. He ran his dairy farm with his son Daniel". * From Irish Families in Australia and New Zealand. Vol.3, page 432
1. Denis married Ellen Condon about 1830 in Co. Cork, Ireland.
Their Children were:
(1) Mary Murphy born abt 1830, in Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland, died in Gruyere, Victoria in 1896. She married James John Madden.
(2) Ann Murphy born in Victoria, in 1839, married in 1861 Patrick MANGAN. (Source: Marr Reg. Vic. Ref. No. 1675)
(3) Ellen Murphy born in Victoria in 1840, married Thomas GRIFFIN in 1873 in Melbourne, Victoria. (Source: Vic. Marr. Reg. Ref. No. 469)
Child of Ellen and Thomas Griffin: James Denis Griffin, born at Lilydale, Victoria in 1873. (Source: Vic. Reg of Births, Ref. No. 24921)
(5) Catherine Murphy born in Victoria in 1843, died 4 Mar. 1892, in Carleton, Melbourne, Victoria. Married in Victoria, 1865, James WALSH. (Source; Marr Reg. Vic. Ref. No. 1724)
(6) Daniel Murphy 1845- 1904. Follows under 2.
(7) John Murphy 1845-1845
(8) John Murphy 1847-1847
(9) Bridget Murphy, married unk..... O'Connor.
2. Daniel Murphy, born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in 1845, died 21st Dec. 1904. He married in 1893, Mary GLOSTER. Daniel's dairy farm was called "Rathealy" and was in the Lillydale area. He was a keen breeder of Clydesdale horses. As a boy ( 16yrs) he won 2nd prize in the "Boys with Bullock Teams" ploughing competition, held at Yering, Victoria under the auspices of the Victoria Agriculture Society. (The Argus news paper, July 1 1861)
1. Denis Charles Murphy, born 1884, in Lilydale, Victoria. (Source: Vic. Reg. of Births, Ref. No. 10601)
2. Charles Gloster Murphy, born in 1886, in Lilydale, Victoria. (Source: Vic Reg. of Births, Ref. No. 4088)
3. Eileen Moyher Murphy, born 1888, in Lilydale, Victoria, died at Miss McArthur's Private Hospital, East Melbourne, Victoria on the 4th Mar. 1892 (Sources: Vic. Reg of Births, Ref No. 29673 and "As It Happened" The History of Coldstream, Gruyere, Yering and Killara, Vol.1, From Settlement to 1900, by Val Sheehan)
Please use your browser's "back" button to return to previous page.