The Taylor Family Of Sri Lanka
The following information was sourced fromThe D.B.U. Journals, Kyle Joustra, Church of Latter Day Saints Family Search, information submitted by Lorraine Joan Miskin. (U.S.A)
William Taylor, was born in Bombay, India. He married on the 17th Jan. 1802, in the Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvendaal, Colombo, ( Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Colombo, Registries, Vol. 3b/1 page 136) Wilhelmina Helena MAAS, baptised 10th Nov. 1784 in the Dutch Reformed Church Wolvendaal, Colombo. ( Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Colombo, Reg. page 101). Daughter of Anthony Maas and Petronella Van BLANKENBURG.
Children of William Taylor and Wilhelmina Maas;
1. John William Taylor, Lieutenant, born , Colombo, (Ceylon) Sri Lanka. Occupation; Chief assistant to the Director of Public Instruction in Ceylon. He married 16th Nov. 1829, at the Dutch Reformed Church Wolvendaal, Colombo, ( Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Wolvendaal, Colombo, Reg. Vol. 3b/2 page 180) Julia Charlotta IDE, born 7th Apr. 1812, Western Province Colombo. daughter of Frederick Ide and Anna LIEFTINK. she was baptised 19th Apr. 1912, Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvendaal. Follows under II.
2. Christina Margaritha Taylor, born 1st Jan 1803, and baptised 23 Jan. 1803 at the Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvendaal. ( Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Wolvendaal, Reg. Vol. 3b/1 page 254 and Vol. 3b/2 page 31).
3. Caroline Barbara Taylor, born Colombo, married 15th Oct.1838, in the Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvendaal, Colombo, ( Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Wolvendaal, Colombo, Reg. Vol 3b/2 page 233) Loius Richard De JONG, baptised 15th Aug. 1819, in the Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvendaal, Colombo. Son of Casparus De Jong and Johanna GOLDESTEIN. Follows under III.
4. Sarah Wilhelmina Taylor, baptised 12th June 1806, by the Colonial Chaplain of Colombo( Records at Archbishop's House, Bullers Rd. Colombo).Died about 1831, after the birth of her last child. Married on the 25th Sep. 1826, at St Paul's Church, Pettah, Colombo, David Landsberger, born 1801.
5. John James Taylor, born Colombo, Ceylon, married on the 15th Oct. 1838, at Beruwala (Ceylon) Charlotta Aletta De JONG, (Source; Dutch Ref. Ch. Wolvendaal, Colombo, Reg. Vol. 3/c2 page 351) born 15th Nov. 1822, Kalutara, Western Province, Ceylon. Baptised 8th Aug 1823.
* I do have a problem with the two sons, both named John being attributed to as children of William Taylor, and Wilhelmina Maas, not withstanding the very unusual and unlikely practice of giving two living offspring the same christian name, so far no one has produced birth or baptismal records to validate this. John William I suppose could actually be William John, named for his father.
II. (William) John Taylor and Julia Charlotta Ide
1. Jane Frances Taylor, born Colombo, Western Province, (Ceylon) Sri Lanka
2. Ellen Emelia Taylor, born 29th Sep. 1842, Colombo, died in Colombo Jan. 1910
3. Maria Lucretia Taylor, born 2nd Oct. 1845, Colombo. Married 13th Oct. 1869 at Colombo, Charles William De HOEDT, born 9th May 1839, died 5th Sep. 1881, son of Charles William De Hoedt and Clara Elisabeth VANDER WALL.
4. Amanda Georgina Taylor, born 30th Aug. 1848, Colombo, died 30 Jan. 1919 at Colombo.
III. Caroline Barbara Taylor and Louis Richard de Jong married 15th Oct 1838 at Colombo. Occupations of Louis are 1. Sub Collector of Customs, 2. In 1845, Landing Waiter and Searcher, Negombo.
Children are :
1. Charles William de Jong, born 2nd Sep. 1839, at Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.
2. Charlotte Henrietta Caroline Taylor, born 6th Oct. 1840, at Kalutara, Western Province, Sri lanka.
3. Walter Joseph de Jong, born 3rd Feb. 1842, at Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.
4. Maria Josephine de Jong, born 13th Mar. 1843, at Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.
5. Leopold Richard de Jong, born 3rd Apr. 1844, Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.
6. Theodore Christopher de Jong, born 14th Jun. 1848, Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.
7. Albert Edward de Jong, baptised 1st Nov. 1851 at Galle, Southern Province, Sri Lanka.
8. Julia Maria de Jong born 2 Mar. 1853, Kalutara, Western Province, Sri Lanka.