GUILTY

PART TWO

 

CHAPTER 21

 

 

During the crisis with Jess and attending to Cheryl, everyone had forgotten about the posse. Nathan stepped beside Cory and drew his gun but Mort motioned for him to put it away.

 

Sheriff Mason rode up to the cabin’s hitching post, the posse spread out in a single row behind him. When he recognized Mort Cory and Nathan Greene his eyes flashed with anger and pulled his .45. Cory and Greene raised their hands.

 

“Johnson, get down and disarm these men.” His eyes never wavered from his captives. The sheriff snapped angrily at Nathan. "Greene, what are you doing here and why isn’t Sheriff Cory in jail?”

 

Nathan took a step forward and explained their presence at the Reynolds cabin and why he’d disobeyed Mason.

 

Cory recounted the rest of the incredible story. “Jess is up in an old miner’s cabin clinging to life by a thread. Doctor Owen doesn’t think he’ll live. Cheryl Reynolds is inside resting; she’ll back everything I’ve told you.”

 

Furious, Mason dismounted and approached Greene and Cory. “You expect me to believe that Rafe Connors was responsible for everything that’s happened in the past week? Your story is ridiculous. Why didn’t Rafe just turn Harper over after the shooting? No one in town would’ve believed Harper.”

 

Exasperated Cory simply replied, “Cheryl Reynolds was also a witness to his confession. She heard him boast about what he’d done and how he planned to kill the three of us.”

 

“I still don’t believe you.” Glancing back at Johnson who had relieved the two men of their weapons he said, “Keep your eye on them while I check on Miss Reynolds.” Mason tried to push past Cory who shook his head and blocked the doorway ignoring the weapon in the sheriff’s hand. “Leave her be, she’s sleeping; you can see her later; she’s been through enough.”

 

“Out of my way, Cory!” Mason shoved the pistol into Cory’s gut.

 

Nathan grabbed at Mason’s sleeve, “Can’t you see that Rafe Connors is the only logical suspect for all that’s happened? He manipulated everything with his lies. The club he tried to use on Harper is proof enough. When are you going to accept the fact that Jess Harper is innocent and the victim of a brutal killer?”

 

Sheriff Mason paused and realized that Greene had no stake in protecting Harper. He nodded; finally accepting the truth and holstered the pistol.

 

 “If you don’t mind, I’m going back inside and tend to Cheryl.” Without waiting for a reply Nathan entered the cabin.

 

Mason stood gaping at Nathan’s retreating back. His head was spinning from the story that Cory had told him. How could he have been so blind?

 

In an effort to save face, the sheriff bristled. “Look here, Cory, Harper’s still a convicted killer and a fugitive. I’m still not convinced he didn’t kill my deputy. He’s my prisoner and I want him brought down here where I can keep an eye on him.”

 

“Haven’t you heard anything I’ve said? Harper is barely clinging to life and can’t be moved.”

 

Slim suddenly appeared next to Mort in the doorway; his large bulk effectively blocking the entry. He had heard the posse’s approach and rode down to offer his support. He had quietly stepped on to the porch and stood in the shadows leaning against the front wall of the cabin. No one had noticed his arrival. When he heard the sheriff stubbornly continue to blame Jess, he drew his gun and stepped alongside Mort Cory.

 

Almost in unison the two men said, “No one is going to move Jess anywhere. You’ll have to kill the both of us before you do.”

 

Every man in the posse reacted by drawing their weapons, everyone except the sheriff. He held up his hands to stop any shooting. “Now there’s no need for any gunplay, gentlemen. Everyone put away your guns.”

 

Still holding his pistol pointed at Mason Slim pleaded, “What’ll it take to get you to believe that Jess was physically incapable of killing your deputy or kidnapping Cheryl last night?”

 

“Leave him be, haven’t you people done enough to him?” Slim’s pale blue eyes darkened with fury; the look of determination on his face dared anyone to challenge him.

 

Mason was worn out from chasing a ghost wagon since before sunrise. His tired face was covered with dust and creases from long hours of squinting in the sun. Sighing, his shoulders dropping in resignation he said, “Alright Mr. Sherman, you win. It’s a lot to digest. I want to see that Miss Reynolds is safe and in no danger, then would you mind taking me up to see Harper and show me how and where he killed Rafe Connors?”

 

The tall straw haired rancher nodded and put away his six-iron. He heaved a huge sigh of relief while he rubbed the back of his neck.

Cory relaxed and clapped Slim on the back. They stepped away from the doorway to allow Mason to enter.

 

“Thank you, it’s just a formality” He went to Cheryl and looked down at her sleeping form. Satisfied that she appeared to be all right, he spoke to Slim, “Okay, now take me to Harper.”

 

Mort stayed behind while Slim accompanied the sheriff to the miner’s shack. Upon entering Slim immediately sat down on the bench next to the table. The big man was breathing heavily from the ride.

 

Sheriff Mason couldn’t hide his shock when he saw Jess’ still and pale form lying on the bed in that tiny room. “My God, they said he was badly injured but I didn’t expect to find him like this. Will he live?”

 

Doctor Owen was tending to Jess, bathing his face with cool water. Lines of concern etched across the elderly doctor’s brow; his body slumped from fatigue. He looked up as Mason spoke. “I hope so, Tom, I truly hope so. It’s up to God, now. I’ve done all I can.”

 

Mason took off his hat and mopped his brow with a blue bandana. “By the looks of him he’s paid a steep price for his bravery.” He turned to Slim. “Where’d you put Rafe’s body? I’d like to see it now,”

 

Slim led the sheriff to the side of the building and picked up the tarp covering the body. Sheriff Mason whistled in amazement when he saw the two bullet holes over the dead man’s heart. “Even as badly hurt as he was, Harper’s shots were true.”

 

“Well, I’ve been a hardnosed ass and I must say that there’s no refuting what my eyes have seen for themselves. I’ll do what I can to help free your friend. The town owes him an apology.”

 

“Thanks sheriff.” Slim offered him his hand and they shook.

 

Mason adjusted his gun belt and turned to go. “I’m taking the posse home and getting a good night’s rest. Tomorrow bright and early, I’ll speak to the judge and ask for a retrial and exoneration for Harper. I think he’ll agree once we get Cheryl’s statement.”

 

Slim’s face brightened into a grateful smile. “That’s really good news, Sheriff. I appreciate it and so will Jess.”

 

Slim accompanied the sheriff back to the Reynolds’ cabin. Mason and the posse left shortly. Cheryl was awake and demanding to see Jess. “He’s in good hands Miss Reynolds; you’ll have plenty of time to be with him later.” Slim assured her. ‘You can’t help him if you get sick.”

 

Her brow furrowed with a twinge of pain then she nodded and closed her eyes. A tear escaped from the corner of her eyes. She spoke softly. “Take care of him for me, Slim.”

 

Mort entered from the kitchen carrying a bulging burlap sack. “Slim, what are you doing back down here? You look like you’re out on your feet. ”He indicated the sack. “I found some canned goods that you’ll need. I’ll send someone back here with several days supply of food. I need to return to Boulder and wire Laramie to let them know what’s going on here and that I’ll be returning home.”

 

“Thanks, Mort I’ll take it up in a few minutes.”

 

Mort took of his hat and ran his hands through his hair. He looked like he was reluctant to leave. “I’ll be taking the next train out to Cheyenne. I hate to leave with Jess in such a bad way, but I’ve been gone too long. If you need me for any reason, please contact me and I’ll be here on the next train from Cheyenne.” The two men shook hands.

 

“Sure, Mort, I hate to think what would have happened to Jess if you hadn’t been here. You’re a great friend and we owe you one.” Slim released his hand and watched as Mort walked to his horse.

 

“No more than you.” Mort replied as he forked the saddle. Saluting Slim with a touch of his finger to his hat brim, he rode away.

 

Slim gathered up the sack of supplies and loaded it onto his horse. He was anxious to get back to Jess hoping his pard would be awake. Arriving at the doorway of the little shack, disappointment dragged at the corners of his mouth when he saw Jess and realized that there had been no change. He looked at Doctor Owen questioningly and the elderly man replied with a sad shake of his head. I guess I should be grateful he’s still alive. He thought.  I’ll just have to hang on to that idea. I mustn’t let myself think the worst. Jess will recover he’s just got to.

 

Nathan took Cheryl back to Boulder the next morning.

 

For four days, Slim and Doctor Owen spelled each other in a bedside vigil over Jess. He never stirred, not even when the doctor changed his bandages. They were able to get him to drink a little beef broth and water from time to time. He swallowed only by reflex. It was the only response they were able to pull out of him. Slim even tried talking to Jess on the off chance that he might hear him and bring him up out of the depths of unconsciousness. As time passed, Jess’ pallid features took on more color and his heart beat stronger, but he still showed no signs of waking up.

 

Late on the afternoon of the second day after the operation, Nathan returned with the banker’s carriage. He had left Cheryl with her mother who had returned home when she received a telegram from Sheriff Mason telling her of Cheryl’s disappearance. He voiced his disappointment when he learned that Jess was still unconscious. Leaving the carriage at the hunting lodge he returned to Boulder to tend to the store.

 

After he finished changing Jess’ bandages on the night of the fourth day Doctor Owen proclaimed that Jess was strong enough for them to take him back to Boulder the next day.

 

“His incision is healing nicely and there’s no sign of bleeding or infection. I’m hoping that more comfortable surroundings and possibly Cheryl’s presence will help bring him out of it.”

 

Slim rigged a travois and they took Jess down the mountain. He placed him on a bed of blankets and pillows in the bed of the banker’s carriage. They set out at a snail’s pace with Slim driving. Doctor Owen sat beside Jess in the carriage bed watching over him. The carriage lived up to its reputation as it rolled smoothly along. The trip took most of the day. Arriving in Boulder, Slim glanced anxiously down at Jess and then at Doctor Owen and waited as he checked Jess one more time.

 

“He couldn’t have done better than if he were still up in that bed in that old miner’s shack. Let’s get this young man into a proper bed.”

 

A small crowd had gathered around the banker’s carriage. Every face mirrored concern for the injured man. The news of Jess’ plight had preceded the arrival of the carriage and a few of the townsfolk rallied together and came to offer their help. They were the same people who had, only a week before, judged him guilty of manslaughter. The ones who had complained about the verdict had stayed away. Someone brought a litter and two more men from the crowd stepped forward to help Slim carry Jess into the hospital. Mrs. Owen directed them to take him upstairs to a bedroom that served as a recovery room. The helpers offered their sympathy and left.

 

Jess had not stirred throughout the trip or when he was moved. “Why hasn’t he awakened, Doc?” Slim asked. “You said he was stable and should be regaining consciousness.”

 

Feeling his pulse and then listening to Jess’ breathing and heartbeat, Doctor Owen frowned. “Comas are a strange condition and we know little about what causes them or why it takes one patient longer than another to wake up.”

 

“Isn’t there anything else you can do?” The usually unshakable rancher was visibly overcome with concern for his friend and partner. “It’s been over four days and he hasn’t stirred once.”

 

The doctor’s thinning grey hair was disheveled and his body seemed more stooped than ever from the strain of caring for Jess. He had barely slept since the operation. “Slim, the only thing I can think of is for you to continue to talk to him and encourage him. It could be that he just might not want to wake up.”

 

Slim rubbed his chin in puzzlement. “Jess isn’t a quitter and he’s certainly not afraid of anything.” He ran his hand through his hair and shook his head sadly. “I just don’t understand, Doc. What could possibly be going on inside that head of his?”

 

“He’s been through a lot lately and maybe in his mind he still has a prison sentence hanging over him. We’ll just have to wait and pray that he has the will to live and that whatever it is that’s keeping him from rejoining us will soon resolve itself.”

 

The doctor laid a consoling hand on Slim’s back. “Why don’t you go back to the hotel and get some rest? I don’t need another patient to take care of. Jess is all I can handle at the moment.”

 

Martha Owen walked into the room. “The two of you look out on your feet. Now get out of here and let me take care of our patient.”

 

Slim and Doctor Owen nodded gratefully to Mrs. Owen, neither one offered a word of protest. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

 

CHAPTER 22     

 

 

For the next two days, Slim hovered over Jess, talking to him about their shared adventures and imploring him to wake up. Nothing seemed to work. The young ex-gunfighter turned rancher failed to respond to any stimuli except to drink the beef broth and water that he was fed. His face remained slack and his body inert.

 

Late in the afternoon of the seventh day after Jess’ operation Slim became so exasperated with Jess’ lack of response that he began cursing him in a loud voice hoping to rile his friend enough to bring him back from whatever place that he had retreated to in his mind. Along with a few choice cuss words, Slim called Jess everything from a stubborn fool to being a coward and a quitter. His partner just lay there, unmoving, his face showing no response to Slim’s grating words.  The only sign of life was the slow rise and fall of his chest and the rapid movement of his eyes under his eyelids. Doc had said the eye movement was a good sign that Jess’ mind was working, possibly thinking and he most certainly had heard Slim’s voice. Slim hung his head, rested his elbows on his knees and tried to fathom what was going on in his partner’s head.

 

Slim looked down at the injured man. “So, where are you Jess? Where have you gone? Are you stuck in a dream and afraid to come back to the real world? Fear is not a part of you, so why can’t I reach you?”

 

He stopped talking and shook his head dejectedly when there was no reaction.

 

“Andy and Jonesy sent a telegram asking when we were coming home. Do you want me to tell them you’re too afraid to wake up?” He was shouting now, but Jess just lay there without responding. Slim leaned forward, his arms on his knees; he rested his head in his hands.

 

He was brought out of his reverie by Doctor Owens’ concerned voice as the elderly man rushed into the room. He touched Slim on the shoulder. “What’s all the ruckus about? I could hear you all the way out on the sidewalk. Has something happened to Jess? You sounded so angry and upset, I feared the worst.”

 

Slim sat back in his chair; his sad blue eyes gazing up at the doctor. “No, I’m sorry; it’s just that I’m so frustrated with Jess. Look at him; he just lies there. His eyes keep moving; I’m guessing he must be thinking of something, so why can’t he hear me? I’ve tried begging him and I’ve tried reminding him of how much I… ‘We’ all need him at the ranch. Nothing seems to work, so I thought I’d work on his ego. I’m afraid I got a little carried away and tried shouting at him hoping to get his attention.” Slim’s shoulders slumped in despair.

 

The elderly doctor nodded his approval of Slim’s tactics and then frowned. “I see your scheme didn’t work.”

 

Slim heaved a frustrated sigh and looked back at Jess. “No, not even a flinch not even when I called him a coward. Usually, that’s a fightin’ word for him.” He stood up and moved aside so the doctor could examine Jess.

 

Doc Owen looked up at the powerfully built young man standing next to him and marveled at the loyalty and friendship that he displayed for his friend. He had sat night and day at Jess’ side since the operation. He refused to leave him except to eat and catch a few hours of sleep. “You’re not thinking of giving up on him, are you?”

 

“No, but I have to think of my brother Andy and my friend Jonesy. They can’t keep the ranch going by themselves indefinitely. I don’t know how much longer I can stay on here. I had hoped…” He coughed then dropped his gaze unable to trust his voice.

 

The doctor nodded. “Well, I understand you have obligations and if you feel you must go, then you should. Martha and I can take care of him. Cheryl will want to help too once she’s recovered.”

 

Slim’s eyes clouded with despair. He hadn’t been willing to face the reality that Jess might never wake up. Still, he felt he should be there just in case…

 

“There’s no reason for you to feel guilty about leaving your friend. I wish I could tell you how long it will be before he comes out of it. When he does, I’m sure he’ll understand why you had to leave.” Doctor Owen had almost said ‘if he does’ but the agony in Slim’s eyes made him hold his tongue.

 

As though he had read the doctor’s mind Slim looked at him and asked huskily. “Will Jess die if he doesn’t wake up soon? How long can he live like this, Doc?”

 

“I’m not sure. His incision is almost completely healed and he’s had minimal bouts of fever. I doubt there will be any complications from the operation now. The only threat I see now is his failure to wake up. If he were awake and eating well, he’d be out of that bed inside of a week or so.”

 

“‘If’ is the big word, ain’t it Doc? ‘If’ he wakes up…” Slim sighed in frustration.

 

“Thank goodness we can get him to drink the broth and water. But he needs solid food to build his strength. In his weakened condition I don’t know how long he’ll last on just liquids.”

 

Slim stared down at the unmoving form of his best friend. “Did you hear that, Pard? Doc says you’re gonna die if ya don’t snap out of it soon,” He shouted. His voice rang with his frustration.

 

He grabbed Jess by the shoulders as if he intended to shake him into consciousness. He quickly he let go of him and pulled away stepping back, visibly shaken by his actions. “I’m sorry; I don’t know what got into me.”

 

The kindly doctor pushed Slim toward the bed. “Go ahead, give him a good shake. Yell at him and call him a coward again. Say whatever you can think of to get a reaction from him Doc Owen urged. “Just don’t be too rough.”

 

Slim reached down again, grabbed Jess by the shoulders and shook him hard, cringing as he did it.

 

“Damn you Jess, wake up, I never figured you for a coward and a quitter. If you won’t do it for yourself, then think about Andy and what it’d do to him if you died…” Under his breath he mumbled to himself, “And me too.”

 

Slim peered into Jess’ face hoping to see a reaction of some kind, but his face remained expressionless and slack. Slim turned away, unable to look at him any longer. “It’s no use, Doc.” 

 

Doc Owen felt Jess’ pulse and saw that his breathing had quickened. “Look, his eyes are moving more rapidly. I think you may have reached him if just for a moment.”

 

 Encouraged Slim reached for Jess’ shoulders again. “Should I do it again? Maybe this time he’ll wake up for sure.”

 

Doctor Owen touched his sleeve. “Let’s leave him for now and try again tomorrow. Why don’t you run along now and grab something to eat and get a good night’s sleep.”

 

Slim ran his fingers through his straw colored hair and stretched his back. A spark of hope shined in the intense blue eyes. “I did get through to him; I can feel it.” He heaved a tired sigh and hesitated, reluctant to leave.

 

“I’ll send for you if there’s any change.” Doc Owen pulled on his sleeve and guided him out of Jess’ room and down the stairs.

 

Slim hesitated and turned; wistfully he glanced up at Jess’ room.

 

“Your young friend will be fine for now. No need to fret; I’ll sit with him for a while, just in case he decides to wake up.”

 

Doctor Owen slowly climbed the stairs to Jess’ room, looked at him from the doorway and shook his head sadly. He walked up to the comatose man’s bed and gazed down at the tragic figure before him; the change in him was shocking. He was terribly thin and pale. Loss of blood and lack of enough nourishment had taken its toll on him. He was but a shadow of his former self. 

 

“Jess Harper, I wish you could tell me how to help you. I’ve just about pulled out all the tricks I have in my medicine bag. I’m at a loss at what to do next.”

 

Over the few days, Doctor Owen had urged Slim to tell him all he knew about Jess and his past with hope there might be some clue as to how they could reach him. He had learned that Jess was a very complicated man with a checkered past. He was a man who had been on his own since he was a teenager. Until a little over a year ago, he had been pretty much a loner and a drifter who had relied on his skill with a gun to earn enough money to keep clothes on his back and food in his belly. When Slim met him, he was everything that Slim wasn’t and they disliked each other instantly. Slim was somber, all business and unbending and Jess was carefree and playful; quickly becoming a playmate for his younger brother, Andy. Andy saw the good in Jess and befriended him. Against Jess’ better judgment and instinct to avoid other people’s trouble he went to Slim’s aid in a shootout with outlaws. Slim invited him to stay and Jess had agreed. From that very shaky beginning, a strong bond of friendship had developed between the two young men. The one thing about Jess that stood out over all was his fierce sense of right and wrong. He was loyal to a fault and protective of his friends, even to the point of taking on their battles because his was the faster gun.

 

“With that kind disregard for your life and apparent lack of fear, what could you possibly be hiding from now, Jess Harper?

 

Visibly tired and bewildered the old man looked at the time and stood up. He had almost forgotten that he had promised to look in on Cheryl Reynolds before dinner. The young woman was healing nicely and he expected her to recover fully from her wound. She was already up and walking for short periods.

 

He checked Jess’ pulse one more time and left leaving instructions with his wife to look in on him from time to time while he went to tend to Cheryl.

 

****

 

Cheryl was resting on the parlor sofa when she heard someone knocking at the door. She called out to her mother.

 

“Mother, will you please get the door? I believe Doc Owen is here. I can’t wait to talk to him and see how Jess is doing.”

 

Mrs. Reynolds let the doctor in and led him to the parlor. Cheryl was bundled in a beautifully crocheted coverlet that she cast aside when she sat up to receive the doctor. She looked pale but her eyes shone with life and her demeanor was one of purpose.

 

“Good evening, Doc Owen, how’s Jess doing, is he awake? Please tell me that he’s doing better.” She looked at him anxiously.

 

The doctor put on his best face trying not to look as glum as he felt. “No, Cheryl, there’s been no change.” He had decided not to tell her about Jess’ reaction to Slim’s test.

 

Cheryl bravely tried to stem the tears that started streaming down her cheeks. She wiped at them futilely with the tips of her fingers and sniffed.

 

“I so hoped you were bringing me good news. I’m determined more than ever to see Jess tomorrow. I feel fine and I promise to behave myself. All I’ll do is sit in a chair and watch over him. I’ll have Nathan bring me over.”

 

Mrs. Reynolds had stood in the doorway listening to the conversation. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, young lady.” Her voice showed her displeasure.. “You aren’t well enough to go anywhere, is she Doc Owen?”

 

The young woman looked at her mother defiantly. “I wouldn’t be doing anything different there than I would be here and Doctor Owen will be right there if I need him. I’ll be just fine, won’t I, Doc Owen?”

 

Feeling caught in the middle, he thought a moment before responding. During the walk to the Reynolds’ residence, an idea had come to him. Listening to how determined Cheryl was to see Jess, his plan just might be the catalyst to bring Jess out of what he now considered a self-induced coma.

 

“Marge, if you don’t mind, I think that it would do her a lot of good to get out for a while tomorrow. As she said, she can sit by Jess just as comfortably as she would here in your parlor. I’ll make sure she limits her activities and doesn’t overdo it while she’s with Mr. Harper.”

 

He knew that the girl’s mother blamed Jess for the loss of her husband even though she knew that his death was an accident and that Jess wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger. For his purposes, he wasn’t concerned about her feelings. It was more important to Jess’ recovery that Cheryl be a part of it.

 

“Please Mother, I’ll be fine. I really need to see him.” Tears welled in her eyes as she begged for her mother’s permission. She didn’t want to fight with her mother but she would defy her if she didn’t agree. She was twenty-one years old, after all and free to do what she wanted.

 

Mrs. Reynolds made a face and hesitated before answering. Her voice sounded aloof and annoyed. “All right darling, you may go since Doctor Owen says it’s okay. I’ll ask Nathan to come by and pick you up.” She left the room with her chin in the air and her back was straight and stiff. It was apparent she was opposed to the idea.

 

The doctor wondered what had made Marge Reynolds change her mind so suddenly. By her actions she obviously disapproved. “Have Nathan bring you by the hospital about 11:00 a.m. and pick you up about noon.”

 

“That’s perfect, but can’t I stay longer?” She pouted showing her disappointment.

 

“We’ll just have to see how you do.” He examined her and checked her bandages.

 

“Well young lady, you’re looking very well tonight and I do believe that the prospect of seeing your young man has brought a little more color to your cheeks than you had when I arrived. I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” He stood and gathered up his bag. “I’ll see myself out.”

 

The doctor whistled cheerfully as he walked home. He had left out the real reason why he wanted Cheryl at Jess’ side tomorrow. He didn’t want to get Cheryl’s hopes up and have her heart broken if his plan didn’t work. He prayed that it would; the young man’s life depended on it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

CHAPTER 23

 

 

I don’t know how long I had hovered between consciousness and oblivion. The terrible pain that had gripped me during my last waking moments had subsided to a dull ache but the overwhelming grief I had felt at the same time still lingered. I had wanted to die but it seemed that it was to be my punishment to live on in torment from the memory of all the death I had caused. Unable to face life I chose oblivion. At some point I became aware of a man’s angry and pleading voice calling to me but with awareness would come mind numbing grief and I withdrew, letting the comforting blanket of darkness fold around me.

 

Later I sensed someone was with me and that a small soft hand was holding tightly to mine. I felt small wet droplets land on my face and heard a woman sobbing softly as if from a distance. I was sure it was just another dream like those that had tormented me before when I had drifted close to consciousness. Then I felt soft lips pressed against mine and I tried to pull away but a hand held my face still and the kiss lingered on. Memory of another kiss and the touch of soft lips stirred me to the brink of consciousness. The woman spoke again and slowly I became aware of what she was saying and with understanding I was compelled to open my eyes. My eyelids felt heavy and I blinked to clear the haze that blurred my vision then amazingly Cheryl’s face swam into focus. I panicked when the memory of watching her die tore through me again. Confused and unable to believe my eyes I squeezed them shut and turned my head away. Then reason took over and I slowly opened my eyes to see her gazing at me. A radiant smile of joy spread across her face and a large tear ran down her cheek. Weakly I reached up with a trembling hand and brushed away the tear with my thumb. 

 

She held my hand pressed to her face and exclaimed. “Thank God you’re finally awake.” She began to sob and laid her head on my chest and held me tightly. “I thought I’d lost you.”

 

I slowly wrapped my arm around her tiny waist and pressed my cheek against hers. My head swam with confusion and I looked around the unfamiliar room. I wrinkled my forehead trying to remember. “I-I don’t understand ─ I thought you were dead.”

 

She sat up and quickly brushed at the tears on her cheeks then smiled radiantly at me. “Shush, sweetheart, as you can see I’m fine.” She brushed the hair off my forehead and caressed my cheek lovingly.

 

“Where am I?  H-How…?”  I was too weak to say more.

 

Before she could answer Doctor Owen appeared in the doorway. His face lit when our eyes met. “Welcome back to the land of the living, young man. You really had us worried.”

 

“What do you mean, Doc? What’s going on?”

 

“We’ll talk about that later. Let me see how you’re doing.” He took Cheryl’s place in the chair. He held a cup of water to my lips and I drank thirstily. Then I endured his scrutiny in silence. When he finished he smiled and patted me on the shoulder. “You’re going to be okay young man.”

 

‘I-I don’t understand. What happened?” I glanced at Cheryl and clung to the fact that she was actually alive. Then an unexplainable feeling of grief washed over me and suddenly I felt very tired and my eyelids grew heavy.

 

The doctor must have noticed my eyelids beginning to droop. He promised to answer all my questions later and then he told me to get some sleep. I didn’t have the strength to argue with him.

****

 

Doc Owen stood and helped Cheryl to her feet. “And you young lady, have had enough excitement for one day. I’m going to send for Nathan and have him take you home. You’re recovering very nicely and I don’t want you to over do it.” She insisted on staying but the doctor refused to agree and assured her she could return the next day. She kissed Jess lightly on the forehead and let the elderly doctor guide her out of Jess’ room and help her down the stairs.

 

“Is he going to be all right?”

 

He took off his glasses and began to clean them with his handkerchief. “I think he’ll be fine. Good food and plenty of rest is all he needs. I suspect a little tender loving care from a certain young lady will also do him a world of good.” He left to get Nathan to drive her home.

 

Cheryl watched him leave and her thoughts strayed to Nathan. He had been at her side every day during her recovery. She also realized how his quick thinking while he was with the posse had help save her. He had changed a lot since that night he had confessed his love for her and tried to kiss her. She believed he truly loved her. She had grown to like him as a friend but it was Jess who held her heart.

 

Nathan made a gallant bow when he entered and said smiling broadly, “Your carriage awaits, my lady.” He picked her up in his arms and carried to the carriage as though she weighed no more than a feather.

 

“Did Doc Owen tell you the good news?” She asked.

 

“You mean about Jess waking up?”

 

She nodded her head enthusiastically.

 

“Yes, he did and I’m very relieved and I know how happy you must be.”

When they arrived at her house her mother walked out on the porch to greet them. Nathan escorted Cheryl onto the porch. Mrs. Reynolds invited Nathan to come in and led them into the house. 

 

“You look tired my dear. You should go right up to bed. I knew I shouldn’t have let you see that Harper fellow.”

 

Instead Cheryl plopped down in the nearest stuffed chair. “Oh, Mother, I had to go and I was right, Jess did need me. I’m positive my being there and talking to him is the reason he finally woke up.”

 

“He’s awake?” Her mother glanced at Nathan for confirmation.

 

He smiled and nodded.

 

“I’m glad your friend is doing better. Now that he’s awake and it appears he’ll recover I don’t think you need to see him again.”

 

“Oh, Mother, how can you say that? He saved my life and I won’t abandon him. Besides, I love him and I plan to marry him. I’m sure he feels the same about me.” Cheryl glared at her mother defiantly.

 

Mrs. Reynolds struggled to contain her anger and shock. She hadn’t expected to hear Cheryl say such a bold thing. She decided not to answer her even though she wanted to shake some sense into the girl and demand that she not go anywhere near the man again. Instead she convinced her daughter to go to bed and led her from the room. When the girl faltered at the stairs Nathan was immediately at her side and helped her upstairs.

 

Nathan left them at the top of the stairs and retreated to the parlor where he sat waiting for his employer to return. He was not at all surprised at Cheryl’s declaration of love for Harper. It showed in her eyes every time she spoke his name. Since Harper’s arrival in town, Cheryl had had eyes for no one else, least of all one Nathan Greene.

 

Mrs. Reynolds descended the stairs and spoke in a hushed tone, “I think she’ll sleep for quite a while. She was exhausted and was asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.”

 

Nathan rose to leave and she motioned for him to remain. She settled in a chair across from Nathan and looked at him intently. “I don’t want Cheryl to go near Harper again. He’s no good for her and she was almost killed because of him. I’m ordering you not to drive her to the hospital again.”

 

“I don’t know how you can hold him to blame, Mrs. Reynolds. It seems to me he’s been the victim in all that’s happened and we’ve all helped put him in that hospital bed by our inaction. Doctor Owen seems to think that his full recovery is dependant on Cheryl’s presence.”

 

Mrs. Reynolds wrung her hands in frustration − this wasn’t going as she had hoped. Nathan wasn’t acting like the jealous suitor that she thought he would be. Instead, he seemed more than willing to help Cheryl be with Harper and was defending him.  She suddenly realized that if she tried to keep Cheryl away from Harper, she would only push her into his arms. She decided on a different tactic and Nathan was the key. “Nathan, how can you possibly defend him?”

 

“But…” He began.

 

“It’s obvious you’re in love with my daughter and yet you’re doing everything you can to push her in Harper’s arms.” She threw her hands up in exasperation. “She couldn’t possibly be in love with that ex gunslinger. He’s just a lowly cowhand who has nothing to offer her.”

 

Nathan remained silent not wanting to anger his employer. He felt obligated to Harper and Cheryl’s happiness was all that mattered to him.

 

She looked at him intently and a gleam came into her eyes. “Why won’t you fight for her? You’re a handsome man and you have a lot to offer a young woman least of which is a secure future and a partnership in a thriving business.  You would receive a half share in the family store as a dowry if you were to marry Cheryl.”

 

Her words made him uncomfortable and he fidgeted in his chair and tugged at his collar. “I won’t be bought or bribed, Mrs. Reynolds. If I could win Cheryl’s hand in marriage, it would be because I love her. It’s just that I’m at a loss how to go about it.  Harper has a strong emotional hold on her right now and I don’t have a clue how to break it.”

 

She smiled at him and gave him a calculating look. “One thing you can do is to start courting her. Bring her flowers, sit with her and talk to her take her on buggy rides and picnics. Occupy her every waking moment. You have the advantage while Harper is laid up. I doubt he’ll be much company to her for quiet a while.”

 

The young bookkeeper nodded in agreement. He finally felt a ray of hope that he just might have a chance to win Cheryl over. He told her he would give her idea a try.

 

Marge Reynolds smiled her approval and tucked a stray wisp of graying hair into the bun she wore at the back of her neck. “She’ll welcome your company believe me. Don’t worry about the store; I’ll tend to business while you see to winning Cheryl away from Harper.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

 

CHAPTER 24

 

 

Doctor Owen watched as Nathan drove Cheryl home.  He sure is devoted to that girl. I wonder if she realizes how he feels about her.  She’s so in love with Jess that she has no eyes for any other man.  As he watched the buggy disappear around the corner, his eyes fell on the hotel and he realized he’d forgotten to tell Slim Sherman the news.

 

Slim had come to see Jess earlier that morning and had tried to get a reaction out of him to no avail. He had left shortly before Cheryl had arrived, stating he would be making arrangements to return to Laramie the next morning. The doctor didn’t think he’d ever seen anyone so torn between duty and friendship as the big rancher. The young man had left the doctor’s office looking defeated and dejected.

 

Doc Owen stuck his head through the office doorway and called to his wife, asking her to keep an eye on Jess Harper while he fetched Slim Sherman from the hotel. On his way he spotted the tall cowboy striding toward him down the middle of the street and intercepted him with the good news. Elated Slim started up the street at a run toward the hospital. Doctor Owen called out to him to stop and told him that Jess was sleeping and that he need not hurry.

 

Slim halted in his tracks and faced the doctor and waiting for him to catch up. “I thought you said he was awake, Doc. Is there something wrong?”

 

“No, Jess is just fine. He fell asleep shortly after he regained consciousness.” Doctor Owen explained that Jess seemed a little confused when he woke up and suggested that Slim answer only the questions Jess might ask but not to volunteer any information.

 

Slim traveled the final steps to the hospital in five huge strides. Inside he practically bounded up the stairs taking them two steps at a time. He was eager to see Jess even if he were asleep. The long hours of waiting and hoping were finally over. Slim carefully opened the door to Jess’ room. He cringed when the door’s hinges complained with a loud squeak. As much as he wanted to talk to Jess, he didn’t want to disturb him. When he stepped into the room and looked at Jess’ pale and thin form lying in the bed, he was greeted by two dark blue eyes peering out from under long dark eyelashes.

 

****

 

The creak of a door opening roused me from a sound sleep and I opened my eyes just as a tall, broad shouldered frame filled the doorway. A vision of Slim’s bloody head flashed before my eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut, shook my head then opened my eyes again. I squinted and finally the blurred face of my best friend swam into focus. He had a small plaster bandage along the left side of his head.

 

I couldn’t believe my eyes. “Slim, is it really you?”

 

My throat tightened with emotion.  I tried to reach the glass of water on the table by my bed. When I moved I felt twinge of pain stab across my stomach and I fell back on the pillow and pressed my hands against the pain.

 

“Take it easy Jess, let me help you.” Slim stepped immediately to my side and held the glass of water to my lips. I swallowed the water gratefully.

 

“Y-y-you’re alive − I thought you were dead − Nothing makes any sense.” I squeezed back the tears of confusion and joy that welled in my eyes. I couldn’t believe the big galoot was actually standing next to my bed.

 

He threw his hat on the floor and ran his hand through his hair. He smiled broadly and sat in the chair by the bed. “As you can see I’m very much alive.”  His brow furrowed and he leaned forward looking at me questioningly.

 

 “I just had flash of you lying dead with your head in a pool of blood but I can’t remember when or where. What happened to you?” I ran the back of my right hand across my eyes and rubbed my temples trying to remember.

 

“Take it easy Jess; Connors did do a number on my head. As you can see I’m okay. How are you feeling?”

 

I reached for his arm. “I need an answer now, don’t baby me; I can take whatever you hand out.”

 

He looked at me and hesitated before he began. “Jess, just how much do you remember about what happened to you?”

 

“Very little, I remember a wagon and pain. Cheryl was with me and then Mort was there. I remember an overwhelming urge to kill Connors and the rest is just fragments that are all jumbled together along with a terrible feeling of loss and despair.”

 

As was his habit when he was worried about something, Slim rubbed the back of his neck and made a face. Then he leaned back in his chair and told me what had happened beginning with Connors kidnapping Cheryl and me to the details of his bloody end. Some of it sounded vaguely familiar but most was a blank. Then he told me that Doctor Owen had to operate on me and my fingers wandered to the bandages on my stomach.

 

A big grin spread across his face. “You know Pard, we can officially be called brothers now.”

 

“Why, did you adopt me or somethin’?”

 

“Doc will probably have my hide for telling you this. Even though the operation was a success you had lost too much blood and Doctor Owen said you were dying. I talked him into giving you some of my blood to try and save you. Doc said it was pure luck that my blood didn’t kill you.” He grinned broadly. “Maybe now that you’ve got so much of my blood in you’ll be able to stay out of trouble.”

 

I was so overcome with emotion I could only say, “Thanks, Pard.”

 

He squeezed my shoulder and stood up. “Will you be all right while I get Doctor Owen?”

 

“Sure.” I was feeling drowsy and I closed my eyes. Slim had left me with a lot to think about.

 

Soon after Slim left Mrs. Owen brought a bowl of soup and helped me eat it. I was famished and finished it quickly wishing for more. She promised to bring me some later and left me to my thoughts. The soup had made me sleepy and I dozed.

 

A while later the squeaking of the door opening got my attention. I opened my eyes as Doctor Owen walked in followed by Slim. I smiled still amazed that Slim was actually alive.

 

Doc sat next to me and peered into my eyes. “Let’s have a look, Jess.  Are you in any pain?”

 

“No, not too much.” I glanced over at Slim.  “Someone oughta oil that door so’s a fella could get some sleep.

Slim tried to hide a smirk. “I forgot the door squeaked. I guess I should have oiled it before now but until today I used whatever I could find to try and wake you.”

 

His words sparked the memory of waking up to Cheryl’s kiss and her crying about my finally waking up. “Say, would someone tell me what all the fuss is over my waking up?

 

The doctor looked up a Slim and then back at me. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair.  “Jess you’ve been unconscious for six days and we were afraid you’d never wake up.”

 

“Six days? W-what day is it anyway?” Suddenly I felt very anxious and then I realized why. Mc Gary said he’d be back by this coming Thursday.

 

Doc Owen hesitated and drew a deep breath “It’s Friday afternoon, Jess.”

 

“It can’t be… so much time lost and I still have a prison sentence hanging over my head.” I tried to move and grabbed at my stomach with a groan when a searing pain stabbed at my gut. I watched morosely as Doctor Owen poured the familiar brown liquid into a large spoon. I made a face and swallowed it without an argument.

 

“We’ll talk later Jess, you needn’t worry about McGary. I can assure you that you won’t be going to prison.”

 

I wondered why he felt so confident but didn’t think about it for long. I realized that the narcotic he gave me was a strong dose and suddenly I fell asleep.

 

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

 

CHAPTER 25

 

Slim eased himself out of the chair and laid the book down. Assuring himself that his partner was sleeping comfortably, he went downstairs and stepped into the doctor’s office. Doctor Owen looked up from a book he was reading and asked if Jess was all right. Slim assured him that Jess was doing fine but the corners of his mouth turned down in a frown of despair and his eyes darkened with sadness.

 

The distraught young rancher pulled at the back of his neck and raked his fingers through his hair. “Doc, I’m afraid I have bad news. I haven’t said anything before because it didn’t seem to matter as long as Jess was in a coma and might not live.” But now that he seems to be out of the woods I think you should know.”

 

Seeing how distressed the young man looked Doctor Owen was afraid to hear what he had to say.

 

Slim took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. His voice cracked with emotion. “Sheriff Mason paid me a visit this morning and asked about Jess.” He cleared his throat trying to control his emotions. “He told me that he had just received a wire from the federal judge in Denver informing him that as soon as Jess was well enough to travel he was to wire Marshal McGary to come get Jess and take him to prison.

 

The elderly doctor slumped in his chair in dismay. “But hasn’t Judge Rawlins already cleared Jess of all the charges against him?”

 

“Yes he did, but when Judge Rawlins sent the paperwork to the federal judge in Denver he received a wire saying that he didn’t have the authority to overturn Jess’ conviction.”

 

Shaking his head sadly Slim slowly explained why Judge Rawlins could not overturn Jess’ conviction and sentence. They were told that only a federal judge could hold a hearing to determine if there was enough evidence for a new trial. He added that they had sent several telegrams over the last week trying to convince the federal judge in Denver to give Judge Rawlins approval to grant Jess a new trial. The judge was very sympathetic and explained that with Colorado’s application for statehood they had to be sure their judicial practices would stand close scrutiny. His final answer had been the telegram that Mason had received that morning.

 

“I was heading to Judge Rawlins’ office to tell him the bad news when I ran into you.”

 

Stunned by what Sherman had told him Doctor Mason asked. “Isn’t there any way we can change the judge’s mind?”

 

Slim smiled wanly and a ray of hope came to his clear blue eyes. “You know, we might not need that judge in Denver after all. Judge Rawlins told me the other day that before he moved here, he held the office of a federal judge in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas; which is the headquarters of the territorial judicial system. He said if we couldn’t get the judge in Denver to cooperate there’s a chance he could get a temporary appointment but he’d have to go to Ft. Leavenworth to obtain it.”

 

“I can delay giving Jess a medical release to travel until the matter is settled. But if it takes too long I’ll be legally bound to turn him over to the authorities.”

 

Standing up Slim put on his hat and adjusted his holster. “I’ll inform Judge Rawlins and get the train tickets. I plan to go with him. It’s about a two day trip and the first train out is tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can be back by the end of the week.  Do you think we should tell Jess what’s happened?”

 

The doctor thought for a moment. “I don’t think Jess needs to know about this setback just yet. He’s had a lot to contend with and I don’t want anything to slow down his recovery.”

 

Slim headed for the judge’s office with a spring in his step. The long shadows of the late afternoon sun had begun to darken the street adding contrast to the golden colors that painted the front of the buildings facing west. He stopped by the train station and checked the schedule posted on the building wall. The next train to Ft. Leavenworth wasn’t scheduled to leave until 11:00 A.M. in the morning so he would have time to visit with Jess before he left.

 

Doctor Owen shook his head sadly as he recalled the news that Slim had brought him. He stood up, stretched his back and climbed the stairs to check on Jess one last time before retiring. The young cowboy didn’t stir when he checked his pulse and adjusted the bandages around his midriff. He was pleased to see there was no seepage − it appeared that the incision was healing well.

 

****

 

Cheryl woke to the morning sun streaming through her bedroom window. She felt refreshed and eager to be up and dressed to await Doctor Owen’s visit. She hoped he’d come early so that she could go back to his office with him and spend some time with Jess. At the thought of seeing Jess again her heart began to beat wildly, bringing a flush to her cheeks.

 

As if on cue, there was a knock on the front door. She heard her mother open the door and greet the doctor. Standing on the landing of the stairwell she called down and asked her mother to send him up.

 

Anxious to see Jess the examination went much too slowly for Cheryl and she fretted when the doctor listened to her heart. He teasingly questioned her about her racing heart and if a certain young man had anything to do with it. She blushed and denied knowing what he was talking about. But when he suggested she should stay home and rest she quickly admitted he was correct in his assumption. Then she blurted out that she loved Jess Harper and intended to marry him. He cautioned her to go slowly with him and not to expect him to want to jump into marriage right away.

 

“I promise I won’t rush him. I just want him to get well first.”

 

“I have an errand to run but Nathan said he’d bring you to the hospital to see Jess later. I’ll let myself out and I’ll tell your mother that it’s alright for you visit with Jess this morning.”

 

She reached up and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Thank you Doc Owen.”

 

He descended the stairs and found Mrs. Reynolds in the kitchen. He was puzzled when she seemed pleased that Cheryl could visit with Harper. As he headed back to his office he wondered why Cheryl’s mother had changed her attitude about the young man.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

CHAPTER 26

 

 

I was feeling a lot stronger when I woke early the next morning. Things seemed a little clearer and a much of what I had learned from Slim and Doc Owen had started to come back to me. It was no wonder I had been so confused, I had been in and out of consciousness so much that reality had begun to blend with dreams and reality at times had been more like a nightmare. Connecting most of it together it suddenly came to me the day’s date had been so important. The feeling of foreboding I had felt the day before faded away. Mac had said that he would be back next week to take me to prison and I realized that he wouldn’t be coming. Now that everyone knew that it was Rafe who had shot Mr. Reynolds, my conviction would be reversed and I would be set free; free to go back to Laramie and to the life that I had come to love. I looked up when the door to the room opened.

 

“Good morning, Jess. Do you feel like sitting up in bed while you eat breakfast?”

 

Slim was standing in the doorway behind the doc and his huge frame practically dwarfed the smaller man.

 

“Sure, I’m gettin’ plum tired of lying on my back all the time.”

 

Slim eased me up by the shoulders and placed a couple of plump pillows behind me. He hung on to me while I fought off a bout of dizziness. Surprisingly my stomach didn’t protest too much.

 

Slim left to fetch my breakfast and Doc checked my pulse. He fiddled with my bandaged midriff then listened to my heart and breathing. Putting away his stethoscope he paused and gazed at me intently. He looked like he was about to say something but whatever it was, he must’ve decided against it then sat staring at his hands.

 

“Doc, is there something you wanted to tell me?”

 

“No, not really, I was just noticing that you seem more alert this morning. It’s a good sign, Jess. All you need to think about is getting well and that you’ve nothing to worry about, exce…” Doc stopped in midsentence and began to fuss with his medical bag.

 

That feeling of foreboding crept into the pit of my stomach again and the hairs on the back of my neck began to rise. “Is there something wrong?”

 

He tugged at his collar and mopped at his face. “I - ah think it would be better coming from Slim.”  Doc was rescued by Slim’s arrival carrying a tray of food. The smell of coffee coming from the tray got my attention and then I saw that my “breakfast” was a bowl of gruel and I made a face.

 

Doctor Owen stood up hastily. “Uh Slim, I’ve got some things to tend to so I’ll leave you two to talk.” He retreated from the room before I could say anything.

 

“What was that all about?” Slim sat the tray in my lap and a frown wrinkled his brow.

 

“I don’t know. He just said that you had something to tell me. What’s going on, Slim?

 

Slim cleared his throat and sat next to me. “I don’t know what you mean.”

 

“Doc said I was doing great and that I had nothing more to worry about and then he stopped like maybe there might be something after all. What’ve you been keeping from me, Pard?”

 

The scowl on his face did nothing to quell the feeling of dread that was squeezing at my insides.

 

“Eat your breakfast before it gets cold and when you’re finished I’ll tell you. I didn’t want to say anything but Doc has forced my hand.”

 

I was still too weak to feed myself so he helped me eat. I choked down the gruel and sipped on the coffee slowly. I wasn’t so sure I wanted to hear what Slim had to say. The effort of sitting up had drained me of what little strength I’d had but I fought to stay awake determined to hear what he had to say.

 

He must’ve noticed my eyelids starting to droop and he said. “You’re looking awful pale Jess and you’ve begun to sweat. I think you should get some rest and we’ll talk later.”

 

“Uh − uh.  You’re telling me right now. Come on, out with it. It can’t be that bad. After all that’s happened to me, nothing could be worse. So out with it, Pard.”

 

He helped me lie back and my head sank thankfully onto the plump pillows then I looked up at him waiting for him to begin.

 

Slim slowly told me about the snag the sheriff and the judge had run up against concerning my release. As he spoke, my heart sank and that feeling of dread increased to the point of being unbearable.  When he had finished I just lay there and stared up at the ceiling. It was the last straw. I cursed the day I had ever set foot in this town. I almost regretted ever meeting Cheryl. Anger replaced despair as I thought about the unfairness of it all. I balled up my fists and pounded on the sheets and turned my head away from him. I didn’t want him to see how shaken I was or the tears of frustration that had filled my eyes; frustration born out of the weakness that kept me tied to this bed and the fear of what the future had in store for me. I don’t think I had ever felt so helpless and trapped in my entire life.

 

I felt Slim’s hand on my shoulder. “Jess, are you okay? Can I get you anything?”

 

I coughed and cleared my throat. “No, Slim, I’d like to be alone if you don’t mind.” My voice echoed the bitterness that I felt.

 

“Jess…” He stopped when I angrily shrugged his hand off shoulder.

 

“I’m going to Ft. Leavenworth tomorrow. I hope when I get back I’ll have good news for you.”

 

I wondered what he could accomplish by going to Ft. Leavenworth but I was too tired to ask and I knew that by the time he got back I’d be on my way to prison.

 

 He sighed and I heard him leave the room and close the door.

 

Damn. I can’t seem to get a break at all these days. ‘Harper’s down and out so let’s kick him some more.’

 

I don’t know how long I lay there drowning in self-pity. After a while, I must’ve fallen asleep. The next thing I became aware of was the smell of lilac water and I knew that when I opened my eyes I would see Cheryl sitting at my bedside. I kept my eyes closed as I thought about what I must do. Before I had fallen asleep, I had made the decision that no matter how things turned out I realized that because of my past and the trouble that always followed me Cheryl and I could never share a life together.

 

“Jess, are you awake?” I felt her clasp my hand and squeeze it.

 

I pulled my hand away and opened my eyes. When I saw the sadness that my rejection brought to her wonderful green eyes, I relented and reached for her hand and squeezed it. She leaned over and kissed me holding her lips to mine until I responded. My resolve to drive her away from me vanished and I realized that I was hopelessly in love with her.  She sat up all smiles.

 

“Good morning, sleepy head. I was beginning to think I was going to have to wake you up so you could eat your lunch. Mrs. Owen has it warming on the stove.” She smiled and stood up. “I’ll go fetch it for you.”

 

Before she reached the door, Mrs. Owen arrived with a tray that held a bowl of stew. “Here you are, dear, did you forget that you weren’t to navigate those stairs by yourself?”

 

Cheryl smiled demurely and placed the tray on the small table by my bed. She propped me up with a couple of extra pillows and fed me the stew. Frustrated at being too weak to feed myself I stoically accepted her help and ate in silence. This was easy to do because as I ate she told me all about what she had been doing. I was surprised when she told me that her mother no longer seemed to object to her being with me. Then she told me how helpful Nathan had been. She actually bubbled with excitement when she told me he’d brought her flowers and had invited her to go on a buggy ride later. When she told me she thought he was really nice I about bust a gullet. If it were possible, I’m sure my face had turned green with envy and I forced myself to smile.

 

“Yeah, he’s a pretty nice guy; I reckon I owe him my life.” I admitted sarcastically. I regretted immediately that I had spoken gruffer than I had intended.

 

I had suddenly lost my appetite but forced myself to finish the stew. I knew that if I wanted to get out of bed soon I’d better eat. Her talk of all that she and Nathan had been doing while I lay helpless in bed had gotten to me more that I thought possible. Well, why should you care, Harper? Weren’t you going to break off your relationship with her anyway?

 

She didn’t seem to notice the change in my mood and stayed for about half an hour after I had finished my lunch. She continued to do most of the talking and the more she talked the more sullen I became and had less to say. Self-pity had begun to rear its ugly head again and I wasn’t in the mood for light chatter. I began to tire while she talked and I started to slide back down under the covers. When I only grunted to her chatter she finally looked at me and her eyes got big as saucers.

 

“Oh dear, I’ve worn you out with all my carrying on and I’ve hardly let you get in a word edgewise.”

 

The pull of sleep slurred my answer. S’all right. I’ve enjoyed listening to you. S-s-sorry I’ve been such poor company.” I tried to stifle a yawn in vain.

 

“I’ll shut up now so you can get some your rest.” She settled back into the plump armchair and gazed at me with those beautiful green eyes.

 

I was already halfway there. All I needed to do was close my eyes. I wonder where Slim is. Even as the thought came to me, it quickly vanished as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

 

****

 

It was late afternoon when I woke again and the sun’s warm rays shining on the covers of the bed had turned them to a reddish gold. I lay there thinking about the bad turn of events and the possibility that I might still go to prison in spite of all the evidence that proved me innocent.

 

Doc Owen walked in and I looked up at him.  “How’re you feeling this afternoon, Jess?

 

“I’m still real sore and then there’s this dad-blamed weakness that keeps me from being able to do nothing more than lay here in bed and sleep the day away.”

 

Doc Owen sat down in a small straight chair by my bed. “Whether you believe it or not you’re getting stronger every day and you’ll find yourself sleeping a lot less as the days pass.”

 

I looked around the room. “Say, where’s Slim? I thought he’d be with you.”

 

“He left for Ft. Leavenworth on the morning train with Judge Rawlins. I thought he had told you he was going.”

 

“He mentioned something about going but didn’t explain why. I didn’t think there was enough time for them to do any good. It seems like there ain’t nothing they can do to keep McGary from hauling me off to prison when my time is up.”

 

He explained the purpose of their trip and that they were confident that they would be successful. When he added that there would have to be a hearing and then a new trial I realized he was hedging the facts. I knew that a new trial wouldn’t guarantee I’d be found innocent. I realized there were a lot of ‘ifs’ involved. I wanted to believe that all would turn out okay but with my luck I didn’t hold up much hope that it would. I tried to hide my fears but Doc Owen was too observant.

 

He placed a reassuring hand on my knee. “Jess, you can’t let this get you down. Slim said that Judge Rawlins felt fairly confident that he could get the appointment. Don’t give up hope just yet. You’re not going anywhere until I say you’re fit to travel. ”

 

Just then Mrs. Owen appeared in the door carrying a tray of food. “Here you go, Jess. I’ve included a treat for you.” She placed the tray on a nearby table and the sight of the meal almost made me forget my woes.

 

Doctor Owen helped me to sit up in bed and amazingly after only a little twinge of dizziness I began to feel stronger. He placed the tray of food in my lap and handed me a fork. “I think you should be strong enough now to feed yourself, don’t you think?”

Grinning I took the fork eagerly and said dryly. “Even if it kills me.”

 

I looked at the food on the tray. Mashed potatoes, gravy and a piece of fried chicken plus a slice of apple pie greeted my eyes. My spirits lifted a bit with this unexpected change in my diet. “Now this is getting to be more like the food I’m used to.” I slowly began to eat. It tasted great and I wanted to eat it all, but after a few bites of everything, I felt full and I began to tire.

 

Doc Owen sat and watched me eat. I had become accustomed to a certain look he had when he had something he wanted to tell me but was hesitant to say anything. Either that or he was waiting until I finished so he wouldn’t ruin my appetite. I took one last bite of pie and asked him what was on his mind.

 

“As Cheryl’s godparent I feel I have to ask you this… What are your plans where she is concerned?”

 

I almost choked on the pie and I coughed. “I-I don’t know what you mean.”

 

He smiled and ignored my obvious lie.  “I realize that your future is pretty much up in the air right now, but I’m certain that you will eventually be a free man.”

 

I put down my fork and looked at him. Stalling, I wiped my chin with the napkin that Mrs. Owen had tucked under my chin. “If you’re asking me if I love her, all I can say is I think I’m falling in love with her more every day.”

 

He looked at me in exasperation. “That’s not what I meant and you know it. It’s obvious that you both love each other and I think you love her more than you care to admit.”

 

Damn, the man was too observant and I fidgeted with the napkin again. “Cheryl and I only met a couple of weeks ago and during most of that time I’ve either been drugged, beat-up, dragged all over the country and mostly unconscious. Hell, we barely know each other and I want to be sure of my feelings before I say anything.”

 

Doctor Owen heaved a sigh of relief. “Well, Jess, I’m glad to hear you’re being sensible. She told me that she loves you very much and I believe she’s hoping to have a future with you.”

 

“Doc, I want only the best for her and I certainly haven’t mentioned wanting to marry her.” I stared at my hands and shook my head. “‘Sides, I don’t think I’m good enough for her.”

 

He removed the tray from my lap and placed it on a table and gazed at me intently. “Don’t sell yourself short young man. She couldn’t do much better than to marry someone such as you.”

 

I studied his eyes and saw that he was being sincere. I thanked him and he helped me settle under the blankets. I told him I was tired and didn’t feel comfortable talking about my feelings for Cheryl.

 

“Of course, we can talk later.” He turned down the lamp and left the room.

 

I had a lot to mull over. I wasn’t surprised that the subject of Cheryl’s growing affection for me was of some concern to the doctor. Maybe by the end of the week, I’d have a better handle on what lay in store for me. If all went well, then just maybe, I could let myself think about what Cheryl meant to me and if we had a chance of having a future together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUILTY

 

 

CHAPTER 27

 

It had been four days since Slim had left. I grew stronger with each passing day and had begun to take a few steps about my room aided by Cheryl and Doctor Owen. Cheryl visited me every day but never stayed more than an hour. Then one day Doctor Owen brought Sheriff Mason to my room and they helped me down the stairs to a bedroom with an outside exit. The next morning after I had finished eating breakfast Cheryl came into my room pushing a wheelchair and announced it was time for me to go outside. She rolled me into the garden and for the first time in two weeks I sat in the sun and enjoyed some fresh air. In the middle of the garden a huge oak tree spread its limbs. A picket fence formed the border of the garden and at its base vibrant spring flowers bloomed. She came to visit every day just before lunch and she would wheel me to the garden and we sat and talked until it was time for lunch.

 

On the fourth day I was strong enough to walk on my own pushing the wheelchair in front of me for support. I walked from the back door to the big shade tree that was about ten feet away but to me it felt like I had crossed the Great Divide. I collapsed into the wheel chair exhausted, but proud of my accomplishment. Cheryl sat on the grass-covered ground in front of me and leaned her head against my legs as I caught my breath.

 

She leaned back and gazed up at me with her green eyes twinkling. “Jess, do you love me?”

 

My heart skipped a beat. She had caught me totally off guard and I didn’t know what to say. I knew I had no right to lay a claim on her heart. There was still no word from Slim about my retrial, the sheriff had been hanging around more and more as if he were afraid I might take off.

 

I realized that here was no way I could let her down easily. “You know you mean a lot to me, Cheryl.”

 

Her mouth formed into a little pout, her disappointment was mirrored in her eyes. “But do you love me?”

 

I shifted uncomfortably in the chair and ran my hand through my hair nervously. “Like I said you mean a lot to me. I wouldn’t be alive it weren’t for you.”

 

I swallowed hard and decided that it was time to end it. “We hardly know each other and with a prison sentence hanging over my head I can’t to commit to loving anyone.”

 

Immediately I regretted what I had said and tried to soften the blow and caressed her cheek with my thumb.Anyway, you deserve better than the likes of me.”

 

She sat up, placed her hands on my knees and stared into my eyes. “Jess Harper, I’ll be the judge of whether or not a man is good enough for me. Are you going to give me a direct answer or not?”

 

I sighed, took her hands in mine and gazed at her lovely face. “I’ve given you the only answer I can right now. I’m sorry if it isn’t what you wanted to hear.”

 

Her eyes clouded with tears and she got up and stomped her foot. “Men can be so exasperating sometimes and you’re no exception, Jess Harper,” she fumed. Then she whirled and ran into the house. I thought I heard the sound of sobbing before she slammed the door behind her.

 

I wondered if she had told anyone that she had left me alone in the garden. I wondered if I could navigate the distance back to the house on my own even if I wheeled myself in the chair. I decided to rest a bit before I tried.

 

I must have dozed off and woke when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Doctor Owen standing in front of me smiling. “Are you ready to go back inside?

 

I looked blearily up at him and said. “Sure, I must have dozed off.”

 

“Before I take you back would you mind if we talked a minute?”

 

I rubbed my eyes and tried to clear the last dregs of sleep from my foggy brain. I looked around for Cheryl and remembered she had left me in a huff. “Did Cheryl go home?”

 

He nodded. “Mrs. Owen said she came into the house crying then ran out the door toward her family’s store. Shortly afterwards, she left in a buggy with Nathan. Did you two have an argument?”

 

The thought of Cheryl with Nathan brought a sharp twinge of jealousy, but I didn’t let on. “I guess you could call it a sort of one sided argument.” I told him about our conversation and he took it all in without a word.

 

He patted my shoulder sympathetically. “I know it must have been hard for you to say that to her. But in the long run you may have saved her from a lot of heartache later.”

 

I wiped my hand across my face. “But why do I feel so empty right now? The idea of losing her has made me realize that I love her more than I thought possible.” Without realizing it I had just told the doctor what I couldn’t admit to Cheryl and even more surprising; I had meant every word.

 

Doctor Owen patted me on the shoulder. “I’m sorry, son. Let’s get you back into the house. I doubt you can drive her away by anything you said because she’s too much in love with you.”

 

I took solace in his words and hoped that he was right. He wheeled me into the dining room where my lunch was waiting for me. While I was eating, Sheriff Mason came by with a telegram from Slim. “I picked this up at the telegraph office a few minutes ago. I thought you might want to see it right away.” He said.

 

I looked at it with my heart in my throat. It said, ‘Hearing to be held by a Federal Judge Collins in Boulder this Friday. See you Wednesday.’ I could hardly believe my eyes. Happy beyond description, I showed Doc Owen the telegram.

 

He slapped me lightly on the shoulder. “Congratulations Jess. Looks like things are finally going in your favor at last.”

 

“I’m not celebrating until my trial is over and I’m a free man.” I still couldn’t believe it was true and I didn’t want to set myself up for more disappointment. I realized the telegram hadn’t changed anything for Cheryl and me. There was no telling how the new judge would handle my case. I shuddered at the thought that he might not grant me a new trial. The only evidence we had was Rafe Connors’ confession to a good friend of mine and a girl who’s in love with me. I suggested the sheriff contact Mort Cory and tell him about the hearing.

 

Sheriff Mason nodded. “I sent him a telegram before I came here. I should hear back by tomorrow that is, if Cory isn’t out of town. Uh, Jess, there’s something else…”

 

I didn’t like the look on his face. He frowned and dropped his gaze to his feet and shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He looked uncomfortable and then he stared mournfully into my eyes.

 

“Uh, um… Well, it’s like this… technically you’re still a convicted felon and still my prisoner. Now that you’re feeling better I’m going to have to lock you up.” He blurted it out in one quick breath.

 

I dropped the telegram. His words were like a knife twisting in my gut. ‘You mean right now?”

 

“You were so badly injured when we found you that I’ve let you stay free while you recuperated. Doctor Owen can look after you just as easy there as he can here. I’m really sorry.” He looked down at his hat in his hand and fiddled with its brim.

 

Doc Owen stared at the sheriff in disbelief. “You can’t be serious Tom. Jess is still an invalid. He can’t even get up out of that wheel chair without help. Confining him to a jail cell is going to slow his recovery.”

 

“I’m dead serious. A few civic-minded townspeople have complained and are demanding that I lock him up. They’ve even threatened to write to the Territorial Governor if I don’t heed their demands. In spite of the evidence they still believe he murdered Reynolds. I’m sorry Jess, but I’ll have to take you in now. It could mean my job if I don’t.”

 

Doc Owen stepped between the sheriff and me. “No, Tom, I won’t let you do it.”

 

“Step aside, Doc, I have no choice.” He pulled a pair of manacles out of his belt and gently moved him aside.

 

“Hold out your wrists, Jess.” I complied while staring at him incredulously. He looked at me apologetically as he snapped the cuffs loosely on my wrists explaining it was procedure and he didn’t want to give the good citizens of Boulder waiting outside his office further reason to complain.

 

“Of course not sheriff, we don’t want to upset the good folks in this town.” I said sarcastically. I figured they were those very same angry folk that had wanted to lynch me after the foreman had read the verdict. I knew there was no use arguing with Mason. I had learned some time ago that the sheriff wouldn’t back down once he’d made up his mind about something.

 

When Sheriff Mason reached under my arm as though to help me to my feet Doc Owen objected and suggested he use the wheelchair to take me to his buggy and then drive me to the jailhouse. I could barely climb into the buggy even with both men practically lifting me into it. When I slumped from exhaustion and dizziness Doc quickly climbed up beside me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned on him for support.

 

“I’ve got you, Jess, hang in there.”

The ride to the jail was a nightmare of ruts and bumps and I hung on to Doc Owen steeling myself against the next jolt. Finally the buggy rocked to a halt and I opened my eyes and looked up. There were about eight men and women standing on the boardwalk in front of the entrance to the jailhouse. Not one had a sympathetic look for me and they all stood with their arms crossed with satisfaction and self-righteousness written on their faces.

 

As the doc and Mason were helping me down from the buggy Cheryl came rushing up and placing her hands on her hips she demanded. “Sheriff Mason, what do you think you’re doing and why is Jess in handcuffs?”

 

Mason pushed back his hat and looked down at her. “Cheryl honey, he belongs in jail and that’s where I’m taking him. The handcuffs are procedure although looking at him right now I hardly think they’re necessary.  It’s more for the benefit of these people you see waiting outside the door. They’re the ones who are insisting I put Jess back in a cell. They left me no other choice.”

 

I had managed to get to the ground and Cheryl came and put her arm around my waist pushing the doc aside. She peered up at me with concern. “Jess, are you alright? Doc Owen, look at him he looks terrible. How could you let the sheriff take him back to jail? Are you trying to kill him?”

 

The sheriff responded, “Cheryl honey, you just don’t understand. Doc Owen said he was well enough to be moved and I have no other choice.”

 

I lost all interest in what they were saying. I was concentrating too hard on trying to stay upright. Sweat was pouring down my face and I felt a great need to lie down. But I wasn’t about to let anyone know. Between Cheryl and the Doc I stumbled into my cell and stretched out on the bunk shutting my eyes gratefully. I didn’t protest when Doc Owen lifted my head and poured a spoonful of Laudanum into my mouth. The last thing I remembered was the sheriff removing my cuffs.

 

*****

 

Cheryl fussed over Jess for a few minutes. She pulled a thin blanket up over him and placed a second pillow under his head. “Doc Owen, he looks awfully pale and his breathing seems very shallow. Are you sure he’s all right?”

 

The doctor had brought his bag and he pulled out his stethoscope and listened to Jess’ heart and lungs. “He’ll be fine, dear. He’s just exhausted from the ride over here. The Laudanum I just gave him will help him rest comfortably. I imagine he’ll sleep until this evening.”

 

Cheryl seemed satisfied with his answer. “I’m going to the store and ask Nathan to take me home. Jess will need to eat when he wakes up and I want to bring him his dinner, if that’s alright with you Sheriff Mason.”

 

“Of course it is. You’re welcome to come whenever you like.” His smile was genuine and comforting to her.

 

Doctor Owen stepped out of Jess’ cell and spoke to the sheriff. “I’ll be going along too. Jess will be fine. He doesn’t need me right now but if he complains of pain or becomes ill, you come and get me right away.”

 

“I’ll do that, Doc, don’t you worry none.” The gruff sheriff seemed contrite and more cooperative than usual.

 

Doctor Owen headed back to his office and Cheryl started down the street in the opposite direction toward her family’s store. She had only taken a few steps when Nathan drove up in her family’s buggy. He had a broad smile on his face. “Can I give you a ride somewhere? “

 

“Thanks Nathan I certainly could use it. I was coming to ask you to take me home anyway.”

 

He jumped to the ground and lifted her into the buggy. “Was that Jess I saw going into the jail in handcuffs? What was that all about? I thought he was free and clear of all charges once we proved that Rafe had killed your father.”

 

“It’s a long story and I’m really upset about it. Can we not talk about it now?”

 

“I have something in mind that might cheer you up. Are you up for a ride in the country? I packed a little picnic box and I thought we’d go down to the stream, and visit for bit while we share a snack together. You can tell me all about it when we get there.”

 

“That’s very sweet of you Nathan. I’d love to.” She actually looked forward to a little diversion for a change.

 

They soon arrived at their destination Cheryl laid out a blanket, Nathan brought out the picnic basket and they sat down and began to eat in silence.

 

Nathan broke the silence first. “So, tell me, why did Sheriff Mason take Jess back to jail in handcuffs? Did something happen?”

 

Cheryl broke into tears and told him everything. He put his arms around her and pulled her close and held her while she cried.

 

He stroked her hair reassuringly. “There now, it can’t be all that bad. Didn’t you say Jess is okay? I’ll bet he’ll be just fine. He’s one tough guy and I doubt he’ll be any worse off in that jail cell than in a bed at Doc Owen’s. You wait and see.”

 

Cheryl eased out of Nathan’s arms and wiped away her tears with the handkerchief that he handed her. She fussed with her hair and straightened her dress. “Thank you for being so understanding.”

 

Looking down at her rumpled dress she straightened it and then fussed with her hair.) “I must look a wreck.

 

She looked up at him pensively. “I’ve been meaning to thank you for all your help with Jess.  If it hadn’t been for you, he’d be dead as well as Sheriff Cory and me. You care what happens to him don’t you?”

 

“Sure I do. He saved your life didn’t he? I’ll always owe him a huge debt because of that. Cheryl, you know that I love you very much and I don’t know what I’d have done if you had died that day in that old miner’s shack.”

 

“I know you do Nathan and I have to be honest with you. As much as I love you for all that you’ve done for me I feel it’s only fair to tell you that I’m not in love with you.”

 

Nathan smiled at her. “I know, but you can’t blame a guy for trying and I’m not going to stop trying either. So you can count on more of these picnics and rides into the countryside and maybe a dinner in town as long as you’ll accept my invitations.” He got up, pulled a long paper wrapped package out of the buggy and handed it to her. “And I’m going to shower you with these as long as they’re available.”

 

Her eyes widened in surprise and she opened the bundle to find a dozen red roses inside. She kissed him on the cheek and squealed with delight, “Oh, Nathan they’re beautiful. Thank you so much. No one has ever given me roses before. Where on earth did you get them?”

 

“I sent to Denver for them and they arrived by train this morning. I was hoping you’d like them.” His stuck out his chest proudly and smiled broadly.

 

“Well, I certainly do. Thank you again so much. This has turned into a wonderful day for me. Especially after the horrible start I had this morning. Thanks again.” She leaned over and gave him a light kiss on his cheek.

 

Nathan’s tone turned serious. “What happened this morning? Do you want to talk about it?”

 

She pushed back a lock of golden hair that had come loose from her ribbon. “I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but I’m so confused I feel like I have to talk to someone. My mother wouldn’t be any help and there’s no one else. It’s about Jess. Are you sure you want to hear this?” She gazed at him questioningly.

 

“Of course I do if it’ll help you feel better.”

 

“Nathan, why are some men so reluctant to express their true feelings about a woman? You don’t seem to have any reservations about telling me how you feel. Why is it so hard for Jess to tell me how he feels about me?”

 

Nathan looked very confused and scratched his head. “Uh, Cheryl how would I know? Do you think he loves you and won’t admit it?”

 

“That’s exactly what I think. Why else would I feel the way I do about him if I weren’t sure he felt the same way? A woman would be able to sense how a man feels about her, wouldn’t she?”

 

Nathan shifted his position on the blanket and tugged at his collar. “If you say so. Just what did Jess say to you?”

 

“It’s more what he didn’t say when I asked him if he loved me.”

 

He swallowed hard before he answered. “You came right out asked him if he loved you and you expected him to say, ‘Yes’?”

 

She nodded her head sadly.

 

Nathan was becoming very uncomfortable and he fidgeted with his collar again. He thought a moment wondering what tactic to take. “Well, maybe he isn’t sure yet and doesn’t want you to get the wrong idea. He seems like a pretty square guy. Give him time and I’ll bet he’ll give you the answer you want to hear.”

 

Her eyes began to shine with happiness. “Oh, Nathan, do you really believe that?”

 

“Sure, how could he not love you? Seriously, I saw how he looked at you when you two first met. I think he fell in love with you the first time he laid eyes on you.” He smiled at her halfheartedly, regretting immediately his decision to reassure her that Harper loved her.

 

She leaned over and kissed him on lips. “Oh thank you Nathan, I feel so much better now.” She looked into his eyes and saw that they had saddened.

 

“Poor Nathan, it was cruel of me to ask for your advice about Jess. Can you forgive me? I know it must have been very hard for you to be honest with me.”

 

He shrugged his shoulders and said. “I guess I’m too damned honest for my own good.”

 

“You’re the truest friend a girl could ever have.” She resisted the urge to kiss him again. A twinge of guilt clutched her heart. She felt ashamed for having such unfaithful feelings for another man. She reminded herself that she loved Jess and that Nathan was just a good friend.

 

Nathan’s eyes saddened even more. “If all I’ll ever be to you is a friend I want you to know that I’ll be your friend for life. If you and Jess do get together, he had better treat you right and provide for you as you deserve or else…”

 

His words surprised her. She squeezed his arm affectionately. “That’s such a sweet thing to say. I don’t deserve such kindness especially after I’ve treated you so selfishly. I’m truly sorry and I hope you’ll forgive me for ruining our picnic for you. Do you want to go back now?”

 

“It is getting late and didn’t you say you were going to take Jess something to eat?” He grinned at her crookedly and stood up. “I’m a glutton for punishment, aren’t I?”

 

They packed up the picnic basket and headed for town. They rode in silence each one lost in their own thoughts. Nathan took Cheryl to the local café to pick up something for Jess to eat and delivered Cheryl to the door of the jail. He promised to return later to take her home.

 

 

*********************************


Back to
Fanfic

Part Four