Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is found in harsh detergents. Also, it's used as a surfactant to break down the surface tension of water. Industrial uses include:

  • CONCRETE FLOOR CLEANERS
  • ENGINE DEGREASERS
  • CAR WASH DETERGENTS

What can SLS do to your organic tissue? Plenty!

SLS can be a mutagen. In sufficient amounts it is capable of changing the imformation in genetic material found in cells. SLS has been used in studies to introduce mutations in bacteria.

and there's more...

SLS is routinely used in clinical studies to irritate the skin tissue.
SLS corrodes hair follicles and impares ability to grow hair.
Carcinogenic Nitrates can form when SLS interacts with other nitrogen bearing ingredients.
SLS enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. (Shampoos?)
SLS denatures protein, impares proper structural formation of young eyes - damage... permanent.
SLS can damage the immune system; cause separation of skin layers and cause inflammation to the skin.

Journal of the American College of Toxicology; Vol 2, Nov 7, 1983


SLS In Your Face - Rather, In Your Mouth...

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is great for degreasers, and it's a favorite of the toothpaste manufacturers. In fact, we found it in EVERY brand we could find! If it can help eat grease off concrete, what's a little left over ham-n-egg?

These products are not intended to be swallowed. So, the question is, does any SLS get into your system?

Many medications recommend placing a few drops under the tongue for best absorption... and fastest, usually 30 seconds or less! This is the best place for absorption into the body. Do you think any toothpaste might get under your tongue when brushing? Especially if you brush for a minute or two? Could SLS be absorbed? What about shampoo soaking ojn your noggin?

Of course, if SLS is in your body, a study would be needed to prove where it came from and what, if any, role it plays in any disease or sickness. That's not likely to happen soon, so look around and use some common sense.


If you will take a close look at the box your toothpast came in you will probably see something like this:

Do not swallow! Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidently swallow more than used for brushing, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Hmmm, POISEN, that most people put into their mouths every day, and most often, several times a day.

The warnings and cautions are printed for a reason. Kids are NOT going to read them, so it's your responsibility to "supervise" your childs use of toothpaste and other products. Producers can put in "safe" amounts of "poisen"; but if deseases or abnormalities arise in your child down the road, don't blame (sue) the big corporations - they've warned you!

SO WHEN THE CHEMICAL SCANDAL SURFACES...

...probably in our lifetime - the Big Boys will have their profits and their butts covered. How many of the 125 suspected ingredients need to be tested before something changes? For many, one guilty ingredient is enough!

Now that you know... What are you going to do?

A LAB STUDY THAT HITS HOME
"Detergent Penetration into Young and Adult Eyes, Research to Prevent Blindness"
K. Green, Ph.D, D.Sc.

This study reveals some of the most compelling and alarming evidence indicating that SLS should be avoided. (This could also be why you'll find WARNINGS on products containing SLS).

  • SLS is rapidly taken up and accumulated by eye tissues, and retained for up to 5 days.
  • SLS uptake is greater in younger mammals
  • SLS denatures proteins if eye tissues - impairing development - PERMANENTLY.
  • SLS extends the healing time of the cornea surface to 10 days... far beyond the norm of 2 days.
  • Tissues of young eyes may be more susceptible to alterations by SLS.

SLS (found in nearly ALL toothpastes, many shampoos and bubble baths) is absorbed though skin contact and is retained for up to 5 days. Our eyes devolope most during our first few years. We douse ourselves with SLS and we have more and more people wearing contacts and glasses! Now we know a good reason!

And it's clear by all those warnings and cautions that "they know something," but what! Again, how long will it be until anyone tests the long term consequences of SLS exposure from the use of these common products. What's the likelihood of finding any volunteers for a study that could result in retarded eye development or blindness?

just look around... while you still can!

Back To Main Page