Other Points: Unsorted
- Cheney's problem with the Constitution: The illegal ticket
- There was a rustling in the political thicket of selecting
George W. Bush's running mate when Dick Cheney flew off to Wyoming to register
to vote. Insiders said it was so Bush could select him, and indeed they were
right. But why change Cheney's voter registration?
the Bush-Cheney ticket might not pass the Twelfth Amendment to the U.S.
- The Palm Beach Post: Rejection leaves issue hanging
- The Palm Beach ballots speak
- Bush Allows "Pregnant Chad" Recounts in Texas,
but Not in Florida. That's Called Hypocrisy.
- Having a double standard is just second nature to Good Ol' Dubya. As the
attached Texas citation indicates, in Texas a ballot with a "pregnant chad"
qualifies as one to be included in a final tally. But, of course, the Bush
legal eagles are arguing against such an approach in Florida. My oh my, the
hypocrisy just keeps on piling up. Democrats.com commentary
- In Case You Forgot, With Bush We Get A Two for
One: Chuck Heston and the NRA Come with Bush/Cheney
- Emboldened by his backing of Bush, Chuck Heston is now telling the Brits
that they need guns just like America. Of course, we are the most well-armed
country in the world and look what it's done for us: created a spiraling cycle
of gun violence. Well, rest assured if Bush moves into the White House, Chuck
Heston and his gun-toting cronies will be breaking out the Scotch in the West
Wing. Don't be surprised to see the White House Lawn used for NRA target
practice. Democrats.com commentary
- Let's replace the President with a Democracy Machine
- In our present crisis, we have been presented with an extraordinary and
eye-opening choice: whom do we trust, people or machines? Perhaps it's time to
replace our fallible human Presidents with a Democracy Machine. Commentary by Democrats.com
- More on the Court's Rebuff of the Bush
- November ,2000 - Salon.com
- The Florida Supreme Court so thoroughly cleaned the clock of the Bush
legal team that Jim Baker was left to whine and bully before journalists in
Tallahassee. One-by-one, the Court took a fly swatter and squashed the
specious legal arguments that the Bush legal eagles had presented. Not that
George the Junior would have understood any of it anyway. Democrats.com commentary
- E.B. White (1899-1985) wrote this essay and published it in
Harper's magazine in July 1940. It seemed appropriate to put his
essay up in reaction to some of the tactics being used by the Bush camp, and
how many American's are simply ignoring them. If the name sounds familiar, but
you can't quite place it, E. B. White was the co-author, (with William Strunk,
Jr.) and reviser of The Elements of Style. He also wrote the
children's classics Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.
- Voting complaints under review all over Florida
- (November 9, 2000 6:35 p.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) - The scrutiny
of Florida's presidential vote broadened Thursday as supporters of Vice
President Al Gore compiled examples of alleged irregularities and initiated an
Internet campaign to encourage a new vote in Palm Beach County.
- Local copy (copyright © 2000 Nando
Media, copyright © 2000 AP Online)
- FLASH: Bush Aides Possibly Altered National Guard Records
- Bush favors sacrificing our military personnel. Do I have this right?
- Commentary on some of the foreign policy revelations in the second debate.
- Terry Ross
- Bush Admits DUI Arrest in Maine
- Link to ABC News for details
- Maine lawyer revealed Bush arrest
- 11/04/2000 Associated Press PORTLAND, Maine - Sporting his signature long-billed fishing cap, Tom Connolly is a familiar figure at the Cumberland County Courthouse.
- No arrests after '68, Bush told paper
- 11/03/2000 By Wayne Slater and Pete Slover / The Dallas Morning News Gov. George W. Bush, who acknowledged Thursday that he pleaded guilty in 1976 to a drunken driving charge, told The Dallas Morning News two years ago that he had not been arrested after 1968. Also, he omitted any mention of the conviction on a questionnaire when he was called for jury service in 1996.
- Bush or Gore: Does It Matter?: The Power of the Presidency
- It has become fashionable of late to deny the relative importance of politics, on the one hand, and the fact of any important differences between Democrats and Republicans, on the other. Elections, therefore, are said to be merely another form of entertainment....
- by ERIC ALTERMAN The Nation
- GOP ads backing Nader - Strategy could tip vote toward Bush
- 10/28/2000 Associated Press WASHINGTON - In a pre-election twist, Republicans are buying TV ads promoting Ralph Nader in states where votes for the Green Party candidate might tip the outcome to George W. Bush.
- "Hard to Muzzle": The Return of Lynne Cheney
- Lynne Cheney recently told reporters that she doesn't like being called "strident" or "combative." The former head of the National Endowment for the Humanities, appointed by Reagan in 1986, showed her moderate side at the Republican the Vice Presidential nominee....
- by JON WIENER The Nation
- Bush to speak at anti-gay school
- College says homosexuality is "immoral" and should be treated like "lying, stealing and cheating."
- Jake Tapper Salon.com
- Environmental Business Leaders Endorse Al Gore
- Praise His Plans to Extend Prosperity, Protect the Environment
- George W. Bush: A Record to Run From
- How Texas Compares to Maine
- George W. Bush says he wants to do for America what he has done for Texas. That would be bad news for Maine. Here are the most recent statistics.
- Influence Peddling, Bush Style
- From the outset of George W. Bush's campaign, the restoration of honor and integrity to the White House has been a key sales pitch of the Texas governor. Bush has declared that it's time to replace the wheelers and dealers of the Clinton years with "plain-spoken" Americans. In a recent television ad, his allies in the Republican Party blasted Vice President Al Gore's association with scandal....
- by DAN E. MOLDEA & DAVID CORN The Nation
- It's the stupidity, stupid
- George W. Bush's constant gaffes and mental lapses reflect the luxurious laziness of a scion who's never had to work hard at anything. And the media elite has graciously awarded him a Gentleman's C.
- Todd Gitlin Salon.com
- Jonesing for votes
- George W. Bush's speech at a college that bans interracial dating raises questions about his compassion.
- Jake Tapper Salon.com
- Memos show envoys aided Cheney firm
- 10/27/2000 Associated Press WASHINGTON - Though Dick Cheney says the government played no role in his business success, internal State Department memos show U.S. diplomats lobbied foreign governments, banks and state-run companies to assist two business deals for the oil services firm once headed by the Republican vice presidential candidate.
- One Planet - Two Different Worlds
- An animation showing the stark contrasts in the environmental policies of Al Gore and GW Bush.
- The Sierra Club
- Reporters who hate Gore's guts
- A childish emphasis on personality at the expense of the real issues.
- Eric Alterman MSNBC contributor
- This beauty contest is rigged
- By stressing personality rather than issues, lazy media have given Bush license to lie.
- Eric Alterman MSNBC contributor
- Up for Grabs: The Supreme Court and the Election
- Whom do you want to nominate Justices for the Supreme Court in the next four years? No issue is more vital in the race between Democrat Al Gore and Republican George W. Bush-- repeat, no issue is more important than the makeup of the next Supreme Court--and therefore the future outlook for reproductive rights, civil rights, campaign finance reform, environmental protection and perhaps much, much more.
- by TOM WICKER The Nation
- VOTE FOR GORE
- Why you should vote for Gore.
- by ROBERT L. BOROSAGE The Nation
- Why Dubya Can't Read
- I once knew a fairly intelligent man who disconcerted me one day by denouncing the arbitrary domination of the then-Soviet Union by a sinister-sounding body named "the Politurbo." Allowance could be made in his case; not everybody understood the abbreviations of "agitprop" and the crude origins of Com-speak. Had the term been spelled out....
- CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS The Nation
[ TOP ][ FEAR BUSH ][ ALIBOOM ]