DAVID JOHN SELLINGS. (DJ Sellings in the house!!! Sorry!)
Date of Birth:
EASTBOURNE (BUT SPENT MOST OF MY LIFE IN LONDON).
ROAST CHICKEN DINNER + EASTENDERS ON SUNDAYS.
TAKING THE MICROPHONE OUT OF MY QUIFF WHEN PLAYING "TONY" CAUSE ITS STUCK IN WITH SPRAY AND RIPS MY HAIR OUT (NICE!) (Ouch!)
1. How are you enjoying playing "Double J" in "Saturday Night Fever"?
LOVE IT, IT'S A GREAT PART TO PLAY, IF EVER I'VE HAD A BAD DAY I CAN JUST TAKE ON STAGE SHOUTING + THUMPING PEOPLE, THAT'S THE ROLE.
2. What does the "J" in "Double J" stand for?
(IT'S TWO "J"S) "JOHN JAMES". (We have been curious about that for ages now!)
3. You are the understudy for "Bobby C" and "Tony Manero", which part do you prefer to play and why?
TONY, IT'S A GREAT FEELING TO LEAD A SHOW AND IT GIVES ME THE CHANCE TO SHOW OFF ALL MY SKILLS (OR LACK OF!) (Lack of?!!! Oh he's so modest!)
4. We saw you as "Bobby C", what's your opinion on that blond wig you used to wear?!
HATE IT! (Yep so did we!! Did nothing for you David!!)
5. We have seen you as "Tony" three times and think you are absolutely brilliant - what's the best thing about playing the lead?
GETTING PAMPERED BY EVERYONE.
6. Do you get a good response from the audience after every performance?
YEA....ONE TIME THE AUDIENCE THREW VEGETABLES AT ME SO THAT WAS REALLY NICE, CAUSE I COULD MAKE MY DINNER.
7. What's your favourite "Saturday Night Fever" song in the show?
YOU SHOULD BE DANCING (TONY), BOOGIE SHOES (DOUBLE J). (Have to agree with you on that one David!)
8. Have you any funny/embarrassing stories from your time in "Saturday Night Fever"? Any trouser splitting experiences?!!!!
THE BEST THING I'VE SEEN WAS A COVER FOR "GUS" - AS WE ALL FELL FORWARD ON THE BRIDGE FOR "CAN YOU DIG IT ANNETTE" "GUS" LOST HIS FOOTING AND WAS DANGLING FROM THE BRIDGE. IT MADE A HUGE CRASH AND EVERYONE WAS LAUGHING - THE "FACES" + THE AUDIENCE. I COULDN'T SING FOR LAUGHING SO MUCH!
9. Are you good friends with the rest of the cast of "Saturday Night Fever"?
YEA...EVERYONE'S REALLY NICE, A REALLY GOOD CAST.
10. The show is quite energetic. What do you do to relax?
11. In "Saturday Night Fever" you play basketball, what sports are you in to? Do you support a football team? Brighton? Chelsea?!
I LOVE BASKETBALL, AND ENJOY EVERY OTHER SPORT. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR IS MY 1ST TEAM AS I LIVED THERE WHEN I WAS YOUNG. CHELSEA AND BRIGHTON ARE MY BROTHERS SO I FOLLOW THEM.
12. You were in "Summer Holiday", which do you prefer "Summer Holiday" or "Saturday Night Fever"?
"SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER".
13. You were understudy for the parts of "Steve" and "Edwin" in "Summer Holiday" - which part did you prefer to play and why?
"STEVE", IT WAS MY FIRST COVER + A BETTER PART THAN "EDWIN". I WAS ONLY 19 WHEN I DID S.H. SO WAS GREAT TO HAVE SUCH A GOOD COVER.
14. What's your favourite song from "Summer Holiday"?
15. You were in Fame in Oslo - Would you ever go back to that musical?
MAYBE, I DON'T KNOW IT DEPENDS WHERE + WHEN.
16. You were in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life"?!! How old were you when you did that and exactly how many seconds were you in that film!!?
4 OR 5, AND I DON'T REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT IT, ONLY THAT I SAT AROUND ALL DAY IN A CHOIR OUTFIT. (Bless!)
17. Before you went to college which school did you go to and what was your favourite subject?
WELL I WENT TO STAGE SCHOOLS AND COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOLS. I WAS NEVER INTO ANY SCHOOL WORK EXCEPT ART - I LOVE ART.
18. Of all the musicals in London which would you most like to appear in and as which character?
I DON'T HAVE ONE!
19. What plans do you have for afterwards?
WELL AT SOME POINT I WANT TO GET A BAND TOGETHER, PLAY GUITAR + SING, AND DO A KUNG-FU MOVIE. DON'T CARE HOW CRAP IT IS.
20. What was the last CD you bought?
"BEST OF JAMES BOND".
21. What's your favourite film?
TRUE ROMANCE + CARLITOS WAY.
22. Boxer shorts? Y-fronts? G-Strings?!!!
Y-FRONTS ALL THE WAY BABY, POLO SPORT OR CALVIN KLEINS. (Yeah Baby!!!! Very Austin Powers!!)
23. Do you prefer being called David or Dave?!!
DAVID. (We had to ask!!!)
A big thank you to David for answering our questions :-)
No part of this interview can be copied or used for other web sites without permission from us first.
This interview was undertaken early Febuary 2000.