Gordon W. Lloyd: Architect of Lost Detroit




Gordon W. Lloyd (1832-1905) was an English/Canadian architect who worked in the latter half of the 19th century. Lloyd's office was in Detroit, Michigan, and he made his home in Windsor, Ontario, Canada (across the Detroit River from Detroit).

Lloyd was a leading architect of Episcopal churches and cathedrals in the Midwest during the period, especially in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. His work is in locations as diverse as Erie, Pennsylvania and Ogden, Utah. In addition to Midwestern church buildings, he also designed a large insane asylum building. .

In addition to the churches in Detroit and other Michigan cities (and other states), Lloyd designed a large number of residences in and around the city of Detroit in the period before the turn of the century. He also designed several large commercial buildings. He was one of the significant architects of an early, bygone era of Detroit's greatness.

Many of Gordon W. Lloyd's Detroit designs have not lasted to the current day, falling victim to indifference in Detroit history and urban renewal. Some, however, such as Central Methodist Church, are still be used as intended, and others such as "The Whitney" have found a new use.

On this web page, you will find links to other pages concerning this architect's buildings, and also more information on the architect as it becomes available. The buildings represented here are most likely a fraction of this architect's work. If you have any information on Gordon W. Lloyd buildings, please send e-mail (click here for the e-mail page). Thanks to Thomas Palmer for most of this information; obtained from his request for information found in the links below on this page.

Buildings

Trinity Episcopal Church

Columbus, Ohio, 1869.

Whitney House, "The Whitney"

Detroit, Michigan, 1894.

"Building 50", (formerly Northern Michigan Asylum)

Traverse City, Michigan, 1885.

Christ P.E. Church

Detroit, Michigan, 1863
Located at 960 E. Jefferson. Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger photo.

Grace Episcopal Church, Galion, Ohio, 1875.

Parker Block

Detroit, Michigan, 1883
This building features an ornate ironwork facade. Located at 1075 Woodward. Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger photo.

D.M. Ferry and Company Warehouse

Detroit, Michigan, 1887
Located at intersection of Brush and Lafayette streets. Most likely demolished. Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger photo

Dowling Hall, University of Detroit

Detroit, Michigan, 1887
This large Richardson Romanesque building is still standing, according to reports. This building is probably the one of Lloyd's buildings most similar to "Building 50" (Northern Michigan Asylum). Located at 651 E. Jefferson. Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger photo

Cathedral of St. Paul

Erie, Pennsylvania, 1866

Central Methodist Church

Detroit, Michigan, completed in 1867.

Thomas Parker House, Detroit, Michigan

  • Woodward Heritage

    Church of the Holy Spirit

    Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, 1871.

    Other Buildings: More coming soon

    Other Links:
    (none right now)


    E-mail
    Copyright 1998 - 2003 Chris Miller. All Rights Reserved.