WAN Pros And Cons
[ LAN User Requirements Document | Site LAN Wiring Plan & Physical Topology | Site LAN Logical Topology | Wiring Closet Diagrams | LAN Electronics Spreadsheet | IGRP Implementation | ACL Implementation | IPX Implementation | LAN Pros & Cons | WAN Requirements Document | WAN Physical Topology| WAN Logical Topology, including IP Addressing Scheme | WAN Electronics | WAN Media | PPP Implementation | ISDN Implementation | Frame Relay Implementation | Traffic flow and Routing Update Analysis | Back to Main]
- Highspeeds and bandwidth - Frame Relay packet switch tech.
- Ease of Implementation - Service provider handles data tranport link.
- Scalable - Equipment cost (CPE) is the same independant of bandwidth.
- Multiple connections - Redundancy.
- Technology to choose - no one-size-fits-all solution.
- Frame Relay, HDLC, PPP
- ISDN (PRI,BRI), T1, T3, DSL, Dialup
- Equipment is expensive.
- WAN connection handled by the provider. Provider must correct data transport link problems.
- Routing would be much more complex - determine exactly where each subnet would be advertised.
- More options - connectivity that would need to be considered.
- Expensive - bandwidth at a cost.