Facts for Kids- Neptune
You are here: Main
> Space >
planet from the sun.
- Neptune is the 8th planet from the sun in our solar system.
It is approximately 2,794 million miles from the sun.
- Neptune is about 30,775 miles in diameter.
- It takes Neptune about 165 Earth years to orbit the sun one
- A day (from sunrise to sunset) on Neptune is only about 16
- Neptune's atmosphere is made up of hydrogen, helium, and
methane. The methane makes it look blue in color.
- Neptune has 6 thin rings around the planet. Some of the
rings do not look complete because they are thicker and thinner in some places.
- The average temperature in Neptune's atmosphere is -370° F.
- Neptune has at least 8 known satellites, or moons, and there
may be more.
- In 1994, the Hubble Telescope discovered dark spots on the
surface that were caused by storms and changes in temperature. The Voyager 2
spacecraft discovered wind speeds of 1,500 mph (2,400 k/ph) on the planet's surface.
- Neptune is named after the Roman God of the oceans.
All images from Microsoft Office Clip Art and Gallery licensed through Microsoft Front
Page and Microsoft.
Microsoft Encarta '97 Encyclopedia
Astro for Kids, http://www.astronomy.com/content/static/AstroforKids/
Please do not copy information, text, or images from this site without