You are here: Main
> Space >
planet from the sun.
- Pluto is the 9th planet from the sun in our solar system.
It is approximately 3,647 million miles from the sun.
- Pluto is about 1,485 miles in diameter. It is the
smallest planet in the solar system. It is smaller than the Earth's moon.
- It takes Pluto about 248 Earth years to orbit the sun one
- A day (from sunrise to sunset) on Pluto takes about 6 earth
- Scientists are not sure if Pluto has an atmosphere, but it is
probably made up of nitrogen and methane.
- The average temperature in Pluto's atmosphere is -390° F.
- Pluto has 1 known satellite, or moons, named Charon.
Charon is about half the size of Pluto.
- In 1994, the Hubble Telescope was used to observe the sizes
of Pluto and Charon and to study the atmosphere.
- Some scientists do not think that Pluto should be a planet
since it is smaller than many of the moons that orbit other planets. Scientists also
believe that Pluto may be a former satellite of Neptune.
- Not much is known about Pluto because of its distance from
- Pluto is named after the Roman God of the sea.
All images from Microsoft Office Clip Art and Gallery licensed through Microsoft Front
Page and Microsoft.
Microsoft Encarta '97 Encyclopedia
Astro for Kids, http://www.astronomy.com/content/static/AstroforKids/
Please do not copy information, text, or images from this site without