George Mason University
An Analysis of eBay
E-commerce Analysis Documentation
Tejaswi Raparla (Teja)
Siwaporn Pengpol (Siwa)
The purpose of Team
eBay's project is to study one of the most dynamic successful auction
Web sites as a case study of C2C commerce worldwide. eBay is one of
the well-known online auction sites in the United States and in some
parts of the world, which is a trading arena where anyone or anybody
can trade practically anything at any time from any place. Our study
covers eBay’s users, layout of its facilities including its architecture,
analyses its financial success with various types of auctions, its marketing
strategy, security related issues, and ethical, social, political and
The eBay Financial
in U.S. Marketplaces
Emerging International Markets
5.1 eBay Business
eBay Partners and Suppliers
that Make eBay a Successul Model
Data Flow Diagram
eBay Marketing Strategy
Attracting New Users
Increasing The Activity of Existing Users
eBay and Half.com
The eBay Security
7.1 Fraud Protection
7.2 SPAM Scam
7.3 Web Security
7.4 Bridf Overview
on how SSL works
8 Ethical, Social and Political issues of eBay
2. Kenneth C. Laudon and Carol Guercio Traver,"E-commerce, business.
technology. society." Addision Wesley ,2001.
4. David Bunnell and Richard Luecke, “the eBay Phenomenon,”
John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2000.
6. eBay 2001 annual report
7. Kenneth C. Laudon and Carol Guercio Traver, “E-commerce, business.
technology. society.” Addison Wesley, 2001, P.354-355.
8. eBay company update, February 2003, P.10.
9. Sarah E. Magnuski, “Whitman Investment Company,” April
3, 2001, P.2.
10. Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com, March 6, 2003.
13. http://msnbc.com/news/837882.asp- Fake eBay
16. http://msnbc.com/modules/fraud/- Sample Fraudulent
eBay’s Advisory page.
Article on eBay security.
eBay link to SafeHarbor.
Auction guild which monitors transactions.
| GMU | Feedback