|TECA1311 EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
|Instructor: Ann Casstevens, M.Ed., L.P.C.
Department of Education
PO Box 9020 Tyler Junior College - Tyler Texas 75711
|Education Department Requirements
In addition to the specific course requirements described in this syllabus, the education department requires a 16-hour internship (unless otherwise instructed), the purchase of an online portfolio, completion of specific portfolio requirements, assigned mentoring participation, and grade/attendance reporting. Many of these requirements have specific due dates that must be met. During the first week of the semester, go to the department website by clicking on the link below.. At the top of the web page, there is a link for "CurrentÊMajors" that will direct you to the descriptions and directions for these requirements. Please note that the due dates for these requirements cannot be changed and that these requirements must be completed in order to receive a passing grade in this course.
|TJC Department of Education Home Page||Table of Contents||Grading Procedures||Lecture Index 1311|
This course is designed to examine the relationships among development, experiences and practices in early childhood education. Emphasis is placed upon the investigation of theoretical influences on early childhood education - Pre-Kindergarten though 3rd grades. This course focuses on developmentally appropriate practices, types of programs, historical perspective, ethics and current issues.
When you have completed this course you should be able to understand each of the following concepts and to apply them to the field of education:
1. Discuss and apply strategies from the field of early childhood education.
2. Discuss and apply methodologies for gaining information and support.
3. Discuss and analyze the development of children.
4. Discuss and analyze children as sense makers.
5. Discuss the societal views of children over time.
6. Discuss and analyze familial issues affecting children.
7. Be familiar with the roles of professionals in early childhood settings.
8. Discuss and apply the concept of curriculum.
9. Discuss the societal views of professionals over time.
10. Be familiar with professional development issues and strategies.
|1311 Issues in Early Childhood Education|