Title: Alternative 'I Know When I'm Not Wanted Ending'
Author: Anne

AT THE END OF "I KNOW WHEN I'M NOT WANTED"
ABOUT 1am

Peter put his head in his hands and wondered for the hundredth time how his life got so messed up. He was, yet again, sleeping in the sachristy and yet again, he knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep. He doubted, however that this time it would be because of the cold, hard floor. A knock at the door made him raise his head. Thinking it was a parishoner that need help badly he told whoever it was to come in. He couldn't have been more surprised to find that it was Assumpta.
'I thought I'd find you here' she said quietly.
'What are you doing here?' he asked.
'Can we go for a walk? I'm not really comfortable in churches.'
Peter smiled slightly and they left the church. They walked to the below the bridge that covered the river Angel. All was silent.
'You don't understand why I did it do you?' Assumpta asked softly, almost inaudible.
Peter sighed. 'I don't know what to think.'
'Peter, I did, do have feelings for you. But you made it quite clear that day in the pub that nothing was going to come of it. So, when an opportunity arose, I took it. I wanted someone that was free to love me.'
Peter looked at her. 'You thought I didn't love you?' He swallowed when he realised what he'd just said.
Assumpta's eyes widened. 'What did you just say? You love me?'
Peter sat down on the rocks and sighed, nodding his head. 'I have for a very long time.'
Assumpta sat down next to him and laughed slightly. 'What a mess we’ve got ourselves in.'
Peter smiled. 'We always seemed to have a talent for that, didn't we?'
Assumpta smiled. 'I'll say. Do you remember when Niamh announced she was pregnant and at the bar, when Enda was playing, we kept sending glances at each other?'
Peter nodded.

FLASHBACK TO EPISODE 2.2 IN THE CAN.
SCENE WHERE ENDA IS SINGING AND PETER AND ASSUMPTA LOOK AT EACH OTHER AND THEN AWAY VERY QUICKLY
FLASHFORWARD

'Or that time when the Revenue men came and we were all in a fix' Peter told her.
Assumpta smiled. 'That was very interesting.'

FLASHBACK TO EPISODE  2.8 CHINESE WHISPERS
SCENE WHERE IN KITCHEN WITH THE HOOCH AND THE "I care about you" LINE.
FLASHFORWARD

Assumpta tentatively leaned against Peter. Without hesitation he took her in his arms.
'What are we going to do?' he asked.
Assumpta moved closer. 'I don’t know. What do you think?'
'Well, I for one can't slip out in the middle of the night to be with the woman I love. People will talk.'
'I think people are already talking,' Assumpta replied.
Peter nodded. 'Well, I can't put up the pretense any longer. I'll go and see Fr Mac tomorrow.'
'Leo isn't a problem. We're falling apart at the seams anyway.'
Peter held her a little closer. 'I love you.'
Assumpta shuddered. She'd never get used to him saying that to her, and him holding her close. 'I love you too.'
'We better get some sleep,' Peter said, regretfully sitting up.
Assumpta nodded. 'I know.'
Peter seemed to wrestle with his conscience but eventually gave up. He kissed her softly.
Assumpta looked startled for a moment but gave up too. She kissed him back deeply.
'I think we better go,' Peter said slowly.
Assumpta smiled and nodded. 'Till tomorrow?'
Peter glanced at his watch. 'We already are in tomorrow Assumpta.'
'Right. Till a decent hour then?'
Peter smiled and kissed her on the cheek. 'Till then.'

FINIS

    Source: geocities.com/televisioncity/9171/fanfic

               ( geocities.com/televisioncity/9171)                   ( geocities.com/televisioncity)