ATWT 1957 Storyline
Source for January 2 to April 19, 1957 ATWT synopses:
- *TV Guide, Volume 5, issues 1-15 (Dec. 29, 1956-Jan. 4, 1957 issue through April 13-19, 1957 issue).
Note: As the World Turns was preempted on Tuesday, January 1.
- Jan.2: Dr. Snyder talks to Claire about love.
- Jan 3: Edie meets Jim for a celebration.
- Jan 4: Penny and Ellen are disturbed
- Jan. 7: Don tells Janice that he'll live on campus.
- Jan. 8: Janice confides in Edith.
- Jan. 9: Dr. Snyder discovers what's wrong with Claire.
- Jan. 10: Ellen has dinner at the Hughes's'.
- Jan. 11: Janice tells Don her decision.
- Jan. 14: Claire makes Ellen uncomfortable.
- Jan. 15: Don shows Chris the ring Janice returned.
- Jan. 16: Claire and Dr. Snyder make some progress.
- Jan. 17: Edith refuses the date Chris arranged.
- Jan. 18: Claire forces Ellen into a trip to California.
Note: As the World Turns was preempted on Monday, January 21 for President Eisenhower's inauguration.
- Jan. 22: Claire decides to take a trip.
- Jan. 23: No episode information available.
- Jan. 24: Claire wonders about her decision.
- Jan. 25: Penny and Ellen receive a surprise.
- Jan. 28: Edith has a talk with Chris.
- Jan. 29: Ellen and Judge Lowell discuss Edith.
- Jan. 30: Jeff tells Ellen the truth.
- Jan. 31: Penny asks her aunt a question.
- Feb. 1: Edith pays a visit to Jim's office.
- Feb. 4: Ellen overhears a conversation between Jim and Edie.
- Feb. 5: Ellen tells her father a lie.
- Feb. 6: No episode information available.
- Feb. 7: Jeff and Penny have an argument.
- Feb. 8: Ellen gets angry with her father.
- Feb. 11: Penny wonders why Ellen is so angry.
- Feb. 12: Ellen tells her father what she overheard.
- Feb. 13: Ellen makes an unfortunate decision.
- Feb. 14: Ellen tells Penny about her aunt.
- Feb. 15: Penny's life is filled with confusion.
- Feb. 18: Jim talks to his father about Ellen.
- Feb. 19: The Lowell's and Hugheses reach an incorrect conclusion about Ellen's health.
- Feb. 20: Jim discovers his daughter's hate.
- Feb. 21: Claire has a serious talk with Jim.
- Feb. 22: Penny is alienated from her family.
- Feb. 25: Edie learns what's troubling Penny.
- Feb. 26: Chris tells Edith that their brother, John, will be released from jail very soon.
- Feb. 27: Claire is on the road to recovery.
- Feb. 28: Edith and Jim talk about their future.
- March 1: Janice Turner returns from Florida.
- March 4: Ellen decides to get even with Don.
- March 5: Ellen makes plans to go away.
- March 6: Claire begins to understand her illness.
- March 7: Ellen and Penny make up.
- March 8: Penny has an argument with Aunt Edith.
- March 11: Penny has an argument with her mother.
- March 12: Chris and Nancy have a disagreement.
- March 13: Claire has a talk with Dr. Snyder.
- March 14: Edith pays a visit to the Lowells.
- March 15: Claire talks openly about the divorce.
- March 18: Edith tells Jim she is leaving.
- March 19: Edith causes more trouble for the Hughes family.
- March 20: Jim asks Dr. Snyder some questions.
- March 21: Claire can't get Ellen to believe her.
- March 22: Claire tells Jim she wants a divorce.
- March 25: Ellen tries to rule her family.
- March 26: Edith's anger brings a terrible reaction from Judge Lowell.
- March 27: Chris learns Edith is responsible for Judge Lowell's illness.
- March 28: Jim learns Edith's part in his father's illness.
- March 29: Claire refuses to allow Judge Lowell to interfere.
- April 1: No episode information available.
- April 2: Nancy doesn't want another problem.
- April 3: Jim and his father reach a new understanding.
- April 4: Janice Turner has some good news.
- April 5: The Hugheses' anniversary causes a quarrel.
- April 8: Edith and Chris worry about their brother.
- April 9: Janice Turner has doubts about her forthcoming marriage.
- April 10: Grandpa tries to reconcile Edith and Penny.
- April 11: Chris is concerned about John's threats.
- April 12: Ellen uses her grandfather in an attempt to keep the family together.
- April 15: Janice tells Carl about her misgivings.
- April 16: Janice makes her wedding plans.
- April 17: Edith comes to Jim for help.
- April 18: Ellen schemes against her parents.
- April 19: John Hughes is headed for trouble.
In the intervening months, Janice Turner married Carl Whipple and left Oakdale, and Jim Lowell went on a vacation to Florida to wait out his divorce from Claire. During that vacation, Jim died in a boating accident.
Penny Hughes graduated from high school that June and continued to date Jeff Baker, despite Nancy's objections.
Synopses from late July and Early August of 1957 as taken from Raymond William Stedman's book, The Serials.
Go To 1958