HISTORY OF BAGUIO CITY


The area known as Baguio was first called kafagway and occupied by the Kankaney and Ibaloi of the Cordilleras.


SPANISH OCCUPATION:


During their occupation of the Philippines, the Spanish colonizers conducted a series of expeditions, led by Juan Salcedo in 1572 and Don Q.M. Quarantine in 1694 to the cool mountains of Benguet.

A series of failed attempts to conquer the natives were made until foothold was finally gained by Commandante de Galvey in 1846, when he was able to establish a commandancia or military garrison a beautiful stretch of fertile flat land, this he named after his wife, and is known a s La trinidad. Galvey went on to establish the province of Benguet with 31 'rancherias' (camps or rural settlements). The area known as Kafagway was then a small rancheria composed of about 20 houses. La Trinidad remains the capital of Benguet province to this date.

The 'presidentia'(civil government) was first established in the Guisad Valey area. It was later moved to the present site of Baguio City Hall.

One of the notable contributions of the Spanish era was the introduction of coffee, of the arabica variety, which is still grown in this area and know as Benguet coffee.


AMERICAN OCCUPATION

When the american came to Baguio, after Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States of America for $20,000.00, they foundthe pine-covered hills and the cool heights ideal for retreats from the sweltering heat of the lowlands. In a supreme feat of engeneering feat they carved Kennon Road, from the mountains surrrounding teh Bued River Canyon, connecting Kafagway to the Pangasinan and Ilocos low lands.

Early in the 1900 the Americans established their government with H. Phelps Whitmarsh as the first civil governor appointed for the first provincial government established in the Phhilippine Islands, Benguet. At that time, the Philippines was still under the U.S. Military Government.

Baguio was then the capital of Benguet, and the American's best administrators and teachers were fervent bosters and promoters: Worecoster, Wright, Forbes, Pack, Barrows, Eckman and others who together with filipinos commited to make the place a virtual heaven on earth.

Baguio was set up as both a mining town and a recreational facility. The mountains surrounding Kennon were mined with camps erected from the base to the plateau that Baguio sits on. In 1193, Camp John Hay was developed for the rest and recreation of the U.S. Arned Forces.

Baguio City was designed by premier Americab architec and urban planner Daniel H. Burnham, who also master-planned Chicago's One Manificent Mile and Manila's Roxas Boulevard. American missionaries came and "Christianized" the natives and English the lingua franca.

On September 9, 1909, Baguio was declared a chartered city and the "Summer Capital of the Philippines" with The Mansion as the residence of the American governor-general during the summer escape Manila's heat. The Philppine Commision held it's session during in Baguio City, in the area on top of what is known as Session Road.

JAPANESE OCCUPATION

After the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the war in the Pacific broke out, and the Philippines, being the only colony of the United States became a prime target. The Japanese bombed Baguio on Decmber 8, 1941 and occupied it on December 27 of the same year, setting up their headquarters at Camp John Hay.

However, the war eventually changed course and on September 3,1945, General Yamashita formally surrendered to the Americans at the US Ambassador's residence in camp John Hay, after which, Baguio immediately set to the task of rehabilitation.

PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE

when the Philippines granted independence in 1946, Baguio continued to be the Summer Capital of the Philippines, with Camp John Hay being retained by the Americans under the RP-US Bases Agreement.

During summers, the whole Philippine Government conducted its business in Baguio City, a tradition that is continued today only by the Philippine Supreme Court. Most of the prime land in Baguio City is owned by the Philippine Supreme Court. Most of the primeland in Baguio City is owned by the national government: Cabinet Hill, Engineer's Hill, Supreme Court Compound, Court of Appeals Compund, Comelec Compound and a host of other properties.

Baguio was the Philippines' top tourist destination from 1946 until July 16,1990, when an earthquake destroyed most of Baguio. The city w as quickly rebuilt and all traces of the tragedy removed. Camp John Hay was turned over to the Philippine Government on July 1,1991 simultaneously with the turnover of all U.S. Bases in the Philippines, and was, in turn, awarded to a private developer in 1997 on a 50-year lease contract.

Today, Baguio City is the seat of the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), composed of the provinces of Benguet, Ifugao, Kalinga, Apayao and Mountain Province, and remains the Summer Capital of the Philippines