In the early 1960s, the Antarctic Division of the New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research sought proposals for an expedition in Antarctica. The purpose was to conduct a topographic and geologic reconnaissance survey of one of the few remaining unexplored areas within the Ross Dependency.
The Tararua Tramping Club of Wellington, NZ, responded, and organised an expedition, which the NZ Federated Mountain Clubs sponsored, and the Antarctic Division accepted.
• The Antarctic Division provided base support in Antarctica.
• The US National Science Foundation provided air transportation.
• The Everest Foundation provided the major financial contribution.
• Tararua Tramping Club members gave uncounted hours in preparation.
The official account of the expedition was published in Tararua 1963, The Annual Magazine of the Tararua Tramping Club. Following are photographs and diary excerpts from one member.
MEMBERS OF THE EXPEDITION
JOHN M. MILLEN, Leader and Surveyor
GERALD HOLDSWORTH, Deputy Leader; FRANK H. PEARSON, Surveyor
EVAN C. LEITCH and PETER C. LECOUTEUR, Geologists
JOHN S. HAYTON, IAN JOICE and ROGER LLOYD.
Beside the frozen Ross Sea, Scott Base is the main NZ Antarctic station.
An advance party of the expedition reached there on 11 Nov 1962,
after a 3800-km, 11-hour flight from Christchurch.
Scott Base street scene.
Unheated tunnels connect the buildings, to help control the spread of any fire. The tractor fitted with a
home-made shelter cab hauls in loads of snow to melt for water, and removes drums of waste.
Here members packed 1100 pounds (500 kg) of expedition food from bulk supplies, checked equipment and procedures, assisted with base construction and household chores, and awaited aircraft and suitable weather to fly to the exploration area.
Around Scott Base