Did You Say Dance?
by Jaimie Witter

Gwen stared disgustedly at the people dancing in the while pavilion on the Crane Estate. They were laughing and gazing into the eyes of their significant others as they celebrated Sheridan and Luis's commitment to each other and as they basked in the glow of love that the newlyweds seemed to effortlessly emit. Gwen's mouth was set in a scowl that she was trying to get rid of for the sake of her best friend. But nothing seemed to do the trick. She was happy for Sheridan and Luis - she really was but nobody deserved to be so happy. Especially when she was alone and bitter.

Immediately her eyes swept the interior of the reception pavilion and landed on another happy couple.

Ethan and Theresa.

She refused to let the little stab in her heart cloud her eyesight. And what her eyes told her was that Ethan was happy with Theresa. No matter how much pain she caused him. No matter what she did, he would always see her as the innocent. She guessed true love was really that blind. In the twelve years that they had been together, never had Ethan looked at her the way he was looking at Theresa then.

Tearing her eyes away from the couple, she avoided the lump that was lodged in her throat and tried to focus her gaze on something else. It still hurt to see the two of tem together and she figured that it would hurt for a long time. Maybe time would heal, as they said but she wasn't sure if the impact of Ethan and Theresa's betrayal would leave her heart anytime soon. Maybe they had already scarred her for life. She couldn't forget it no matter how hard she tried and because of that, she couldn't forgive them.

She had lied to herself saying that she had forgiven Ethan. Just so she could muster up some dignity and be the graceful loser, the better woman. The truth was, she was a sore loser. She wasn't the one to email the tabloid the truth about Sam, Ivy and Ethan but she might as well have because what she did was far worse, according to her. What she did was try to take back a man that was happy with someone else and hadn't thought of her twice since the night at Mass when he had proposed to Theresa.

What she was was pathetic. She had become such a pale, ugly representation of what she used to be. She didn’t even recognize herself in the mirror anymore. She didn’t even know who she was.

Chastising herself for immersing herself in self-loathing, she tried to spot Sheridan and Luis in the crowd of dancers hoping that their happiness would somehow rub off on her. It wasn’t like they were hard to spot either, she realized. They were radiant. They were happy. They were in love and they wanted to let the whole world know it so they had declared themselves to each other until death did them part. And Gwen knew it would take death to separate them.

Groaning as she realized her plan to happy was failing miserable because seeing them, she yearned for the same and the whole miserable cycle of pain and loathing returned. Suddenly, there was shuffling beside her and she cast a sideways look to the best man who standing beside her.

Hank Bennett.

She had forgotten that he was standing there and watched with mild amusement as he fidgeted with his tie, obviously very uncomfortable in his formal wear. Letting her amusement take the best of her, she leaned into him to say something. “Stop that.”

“What?” he asked without looking at her and continued to fidget.

“That,” Gwen answered raising an eyebrow.

“Well not everyone is used to these monkey suits, Gwen,” Hank replied his tone bordering on irritation. Sighing, Gwen looked at Sheridan and Luis again and Hank followed her gaze. “They make it seem easy.”

“What?”

“Dancing,” Hank replied.

“It is easy.”

“Fun,” he corrected.

She thought about that for a second and her eyes flew to Ethan who was still dancing with Theresa. “In the arms of the right person, it’s fun.”

“Oh, yeah I guess it is.”

Ethan could dance. Always did. It was part of his upbringing. She had spent countless hours dancing with him at galas and receptions. Obligatory dances. He never really wanted to dance with her. She usually was the one hinting that she wanted to before he finally gave up and asked her. Like he had to. And now…he danced effortlessly. Carefree. Willingly in the arms of the woman he loved.

“You wanna dance?” she asked impulsively. She turned to him, surprised with her own guile. It wasn’t like she wanted to dance. Not with him. Not in public. She wasn’t about to give the rumor mill more gossip to process. But somewhere she knew that Hank didn’t care about what people said. He took chatter about him like he took showers. Suddenly the image of Hank in the shower attacked her minds’ eye and she blushed furiously.

Hank raised an eyebrow and his lips curved. “What?”

They had been standing at the side of the pavilion, near the head table for almost a half an hour as they watched people dance on the dance floor. They were the best man and the maid of honor. That had cajoled them into walking down the aisle together, sitting beside Sheridan and Luis at the head table and now, standing side by side bored beyond belief.

She didn’t know him that well to say that they were friends. They had skated once together at Valentine’s Day and he had calmed her down the night Ethan had broken her heart so she couldn’t say that they weren’t friends either. He was different than most men she knew. Harmless and dangerous, manly yet boyish – a interesting mix of good and bad and from what Sheridan had told her quite the charmer.

But knowing that much didn’t constitute him as her friend.

So there she was, standing next to him in her lavender bridesmaid dress asking a man who at times could be smug and self-righteous to dance with her. That was what her life to come to. “Dance. I asked if you wanted to dance.”

As his lazy grin broadened Gwen wondered again why she had asked him. Maybe it was because she was bored. Or maybe it was because she actually wanted to do something rather than stand around in a corner when people were celebrating love. Or maybe the champagne she had had was finally catching up with her. Whatever it was, it wasn’t because she wanted to feel Hank’s arms around her. Or because she wanted an excuse to be held by him – it couldn’t be that. He was just a man; Luis’s best man and she was the maid of honor. Wasn’t it tradition for them to dance?

“Dance,” he said the word as if he were saying it for the time, his tone feigning evenness although she could tell the thought was somehow amusing to him. He was wondering what she was thinking. It wasn’t like they knew each other well. And he didn’t know why she wanted to dance. With him. Especially with him.

She intrigued him. She was an interesting woman. Strong yet weakened by Ethan’s betrayal. A smart woman who had made a few stupid mistakes. Hey he knew about stupid mistakes. He had written the book.

Gwen Hotchkiss was like him in a lot of way, he presumed. So totally different from him in others.

“Yes Hank,” Gwen replied rolling her eyes. “What people around us are doing, you know? Moving in rhythm, if you will.”

What was his problem? It wasn’t like she had told him that she wanted him to marry her. She was irked by his amusement but in an odd way she found it quite amusing herself. She has just figured out what Hank Bennett was made of.

Charm. He oozed it.

Humor. He was the master.

Sex appeal. Oh yeah.

“That’s quite a statement.” He was mocking her. Damn him, he was mocking her.

“It was a question, Hank.” Gwen answered with a scowl. “A statement would be – Hank Bennett is the most annoying person I’ve ever met.”

“Now that’s a judgment call,” Hank corrected and then wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “Baby, I may not be perfect but there are parts of me that are excellent.”

Pretending to be disgusted, she rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. Stifling his laughter, he continued to gaze and she turned to him, matching his gaze with one of her own. Beautiful skin, deep blue eyes, a soft, full mouth that was set in an almost that he was sure had driven men wild. Like it was driving him wild.

He wanted those lips. The thought slammed into his head and then pounded in his head as if daring him to deny it. He wanted them hot, inviting and soft under his own. Feeling the blood rush t places it shouldn’t have been rushing through when he was at a wedding, he put unwanted images of Gwen and sex away and let his own lips curve into another smile.

Gwen was doing her own examining of the man that stood in front of her. Deep brown eyes – lazy and soulful. Hair that could use some taming but looked soft and naturally tousled. She wondered what it would be like to run her fingers through them. His mouth was set in a perpetually amused smile seemed inviting almost sinful to look at. She let her eyes roam over her body and she thought that he filled out his uncomfortable tuxedo amazingly.

“See something you like, baby?” His voice was as always a leer.

She let out an exaggerated sigh and looked away from him but then grinned as she replied over her shoulder. “Nothing special.”

“Ouch, that hurt sweetheart,” he said amusement still clear in his voice. Oh no, it would take a lot more than insults to bruise his ego. “So why dance?”

“I just thought it was something we should do,” Gwen answered turning to him again, still embarrassed that he found her impulsiveness amusing. “Some kind of tradition or something for us to dance.”

“I’m not one to follow tradition,” Hank answered rubbing the back of his neck. “I didn’t coin you as someone who would do the asking.”

“We’re in the new millennium, things change.”

“So dance huh?”

“Yes already, Hank!” Gwen retorted in exasperation that made him smile even more. She was cute when she was mad. Sexy, even. “Is it so unimaginable to you that I want to dance?”

“No, I’m flattered.” The signature grin was there. As always.

“You have such an ego.”

He let that comment slide. Instead he stepped closer to her. “You know in some countries dancing is a form of foreplay.”

“Well remind me never to go there with you, ever.”

“Aw baby, you don’t even know the heights I could take you to.” The trademark Hank Bennett leer. She realized that she knew him better than she though.

“Well I kind of like it on the ground thank you very much,” she answered blushing however at the thought of Hank and her. And sex. In a foreign country.

He was still amused. “Gwen?”

“Yes?”

“Why did you want to dance with me?”

“Tradition Hank,” Gwen answered with a sigh. “And maybe because I want to see how you dance in public.”

“Well most of my dancing lessons are in private,” he answered with another suggestive wiggling of his brows. She stared at him in disdain. “Not much of a public dancer though.”

“Humor me.” She said tired. She didn’t care if he wanted to anymore. He had embarrassed her enough for one night and she didn’t want to go on to the floor with a man with two left feet. But she strongly doubted that Hank Bennett couldn’t dance. He just didn’t seem like that type of a guy.

“Okay.”

“What?”

“I said okay,” he answered trying to keep his face straight. “Let’s dance.”

“I – Hank, um…” Her protest fell on deaf ears as he grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor just as one song ended and another slow song started. She stood dumbly as he turned to face her and smiled widely.

“We have to touch to dance,” he whispered to her.

“I know,” she answered with an eye roll. Awkwardly she placed one hand on his shoulder and placed one hand in his own, ignoring the tingle making its way up her arm and throughout her body. She looked up at his amused brow eyes again. “Am I supposed to lead to know?”

“I got that part, baby,” he said as he tugged at her hips with his free arm and sent her body crashing lightly into his. She let out a gasp at the heat that started to course through her. “Ready?”

“Ready.” Her voice was shaky but she tried to be firm. He started swaying them both to the music, barely moving from his spot however. He dropped his gaze to her eyes and then, brought her hand clasped in his around his neck. Involuntarily, her other hand slid up his chest – and she could feel the muscles under the material of his tux, and twined with her other hand.

“Much better,” he said letting one hand rest on the small of her back and the other right above it. The scent of her filled his senses and he wondered why he was suddenly feeling a little light-headed.

From the first day
that I saw your smiling face
Honey I knew that we would be together forever
Ooh when I asked you out
you said no but I found out
Darling that you'd been hurt
you felt that you'd never love again

Ethan and Theresa passed them and the two didn’t even look up. Hank watched as Gwen’s seemingly contended face fell and she stared after her ex-beau. She looked back at him and for a brief moment, he got to see a side of Gwen he hadn’t seen ever. Vulnerable. Sad. Hurt.

I deserve a try honey just once
Give me a chance and I'll prove this all wrong
You walked in you were so quick to judge
But honey he's nothing like me

“Ten best years of my life,” Gwen said finally. “And he doesn’t even know I exist anymore. Probably doesn’t even care.”

“He may be family now,” Hank said. “But he doesn’t have the Bennett brains if he gave you up, Gwen. I know I wouldn’t have.”

I'll never break your heart
I'll never make you cry
I'd rather die
Than live without you
I'll give you all of me
Honey that's no lie.

She smiled up at him, a blush creeping across her face. “You’re a wonder Hank Bennett. A minute ago you were being bratty and now you know exactly what to say. How?”

“Practice,” Hank answered easily. “It’s easy when you have beautiful woman in your arms.”

Gwen shook her head and then to his surprise, rested her head on his shoulder, either for comfort or something else. Whatever it was, it felt good to have her there. The floral fragrance of her hair invaded his senses and he felt the blood pound in his ears. Contended, they danced in silence listening to the song.

As time goes by you will you get to know me
A little more better
Girl that's the way love goes (baby, baby)
And I know you're afraid (know you're afraid)
To let your feeling show (feelings show)
And I understand
But girl it's time to let go (girl it's time to let go because)

The song got to her. Or maybe it was the man she was dancing with. Whatever it was, it got to her. Perplexed her. Made her forget that she was miserable without Ethan. Made her forget that she was ever with Ethan.

Dancing with Hank felt good.

Natural.

Perfect.

She wondered if they had danced together in a different lifetime. If they were meant to dance together always. Surprised with the thoughts running through her mind, she closed her eyes, fully aware of Hank’s warm breath tickling her neck and his arms around her. Unaware of the people around her. They were completely forgotten.

Suddenly, she lifted her head from Hank’s shoulder and stared into his deep brown eyes. All amusement that was present in them when they were teasing each other was gone and it was replaced with something that scared her.

Desire.

She shuddered, as his lips seemed to move slowly towards hers. Automatically, she lifted her hoping to meet him halfway. Her heart pounded with anticipation. Her eyes fluttered close. Blood coursed through her.

He was going to kiss her. She had every intention of kissing him back.

But it never happened. Chad’s voiced boomed throughout the pavilion. “Yo, yo, yo! The bride, the lovely Sheridan is about to throw her bouquet. Would all ya single women out there make a circle please?”

Damn traditions.

Sheridan had the worse timing ever.

Gwen’s eyes snapped open and she saw her own disappointment mirrored in his eyes. Grudgingly, he let go of her and she smiled at him somewhat apologetically before leaving his side to join the hordes of women who were gathered around the head table waiting for Sheridan to throw the bouquet. She kept her eyes on Hank who was also watching her with amusement again.

“Ready girls?” Sheridan giggled and then turned around, Gwen barely noticing that her friend was there. Her eyes were focused on Hank’s intense gaze. Gwen didn’t even realize as the bouquet came hurtling towards her. Without thinking, she lifted her hands and waited as the bouquet landed firmly in her hands.

As if it were meant to land there.

Everyone started laughing and clapping loudly, congratulating Gwen. She blushed as the attention of the entire room turned to her for a minute and over the crowd met Hank’s amused eyes again. Slowly, she made her way to him as the crowd parted smiled. “That’s an odd tradition.”

“Hey,” he said with a grin. “Some traditions aren’t so bad.”

The End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyrics: I'll Never Break Your Heart by The Backstreet Boys

Feedback is cherished!

Back to Fanfiction Menu