Sealed With A Kiss
by DramaQueen

Chapter 1

Gwen glanced around the crowded ballroom, eyeing groups of socialites from the country club chattering away and glaring jealously at the couples scattered about the floor, swaying to the hypnotizing strains of music. The lines above her brow deepened as Ethan and Theresa Winthrop walked into the party, gawking snobs gathering in throngs about them and the already loud ballroom's volume increased by an annoying amount. Gwen let out an exasperated sigh and retreated from the beverage table she stood at, her heels clacking noisily across the wooden floor, yet not noisily enough to drown out Theresa's voice, whining incessantly in her head. She grabbed a champagne flute from a nearby waiter's tray, downing half of it quickly, her headache worsening by the second.

Wearily, she put her fingertips to her forehead and massaged lightly. It wasn't enough for Theresa to steal her fiancé, she also had to take away high respect and social position. Theresa had helped Ethan find several job interviews with law companies in Castleton, who were instantly impressed by his Harvard degree and hired him, his past as a Crane aiding him as well. Following his employment, he was handed several large cases, for people in high social position attempting to avoid scandal, and won them. With the little tramp's help--what Gwen considered to be scheming and conniving--Ethan worked his way back up the class ladder, going back to be a large and in charge member of society, along with Theresa, living in a large mansion, its grandeur almost exceeding that of the Crane Mansion.

Gwen downed the rest of her champagne, and avoided her mother's watchful eyes from across the ballroom. Trying not to look at Rebecca or Ethan and Theresa, she let her gaze wander, landing on the staircase of her house. All she wanted to do was run up them and throw herself into bed, never appearing to the rest of the world again, including Ethan's clueless look and Theresa's smug stare. How they had gotten invited to a party at HER house was beyond Gwen...her mother had muttered something about not wanting to look like a fool in front of all the high social class.

Rebecca caught Gwen's eye and Gwen rolled her eyes, turning away. How her mother couldn't look like a fool also eluded her understanding...she had been engaged to a man for four months, yet a divorce between Julian and Ivy still had yet to happen.

She wandered aimlessly about the room, trying desperately to avoid old groups of "friends", who had instantly shunned her as soon as Ethan dumped her. Finally, exhausted, she collapsed into a chair, resting her tired feet and tired mind. Her eyes closed and her hung, she let herself get lost in the music, in a trance-like state.

A shadow fell over her, blocking out the light from glittering chandeliers. Gwen looked up, ready to tell anyone off who was invading her time of loneliness and silence. Her harsh words were halted by deep brown eyes staring down at her and an impeccable physique, not hidden by the tux the man wore. His hair was dark brown, so dark it could have been black, and gelled into spikes, and the chiseled features of his face only fueled the tiny spark of desire lit within her.

Out of nowhere, his voice came, deep, rich and smooth. "Care to dance?"

For a moment, Gwen couldn't breathe, couldn't respond. She caught her breath and swallowed hard, trying hard of something witty and intelligent to say. "Me?" she squeaked. The palm of her hand almost flew to her forehead as soon as she said it.

The man chuckled. "Yes, you." He held out a hand, with bronze skin that looked rough, but inviting.

Hesitating only for a moment, Gwen placed her small hand into his own large one, allowing him to help her out of the chair. In only a moment he had whisked them onto the wooden floor, moving them about to a waltz. The two didn't speak, simply concentrating on the dance.

Gwen couldn't help but stare at the man. He was absolutely...gorgeous. Ethan paled in comparison to this man's looks.

"What?" he asked, noticing her gaze.

A pink blush came into her cheeks, realizing he had caught her staring. "You just...remind me of someone I know."

He smiled, displaying a row of perfect white teeth. "Really. Anyone I might know?"

She shook her head quickly, not having a name to give him. "I doubt it."

That got her only a small nod from him, and they danced in silence once again, until a slow song came on. She felt his hand move farther around her waist, pulling her closer to him. Feeling her hesitation, he leaned down close to her ear, whispering hotly. "We can't dance that far apart for a slow song. Wouldn't be proper."

His breath tickled, and Gwen pulled away for a moment, then relaxing at his soft smile and moving close again. She lay her head on his chest, her uncertainty dissipating as he held her closer, feeling safe, warm and protected for the moment. As the song ended, she looked up at him again, finding herself examining his face again and wondering what it would be like to feel his lips against hers. "That's it!" she said, her eyes sparkling as she figured it out.

"What?"

"I know who you remind me of. Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald."

Suddenly, she felt his body stiffen against hers and he pulled away. Her brow furrowed. What had she said?

Tensely, he bid her farewell. "Thank you for the dance. I must attend to some...business, however. Goodbye." He took her hand and placed a small kiss on it, and then he was gone.

Gwen placed a hand on her hip, the other tucking a strand of brown behind her ear. What had that all been about?

Shrugging it off, she went back over to the beverage table. "Chardonnay, please." As she took a sip of the wine, she heard snickering coming from nearby. It was one of the groups of flighty socialite women whom she had been trying to avoid all night. And they were laughing at HER, Gwen realized with a start. Discreetly, she put her glass down and moved behind a giant plant, straining to hear the contents of their conversation.

"Did you see the look on that man's face as he pulled away from her?" one asked.

"Yes!" another responded. "It was positively comical."

Another woman, whose voice Gwen recognized as Phoebe spoke next. "Yes, well, Gwen seems to be scaring off quite a few men these days. First Ethan, and now that piece of hot stuff over there!"

More laughter erupted from them.

"You know," Phoebe continued, "I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Gwen never gets another man--at least from our side of the tracks--to kiss her again. After the embarrassment with Ethan, the poor girl seems to have lost it completely. Charm, class, everything!"

Fuming, Gwen stepped out from behind the plant, her green dress rustling as she stomped over to the group. She stepped up to Phoebe. "You see Phoebe, this is why you never get invitations to weddings or many parties at all."

She feigned innocence. "Why, Gwen dear, I have no idea what you're talking about."

Gwen snorted. "I can't believe how much you whined about not being invited to Ethan and mine's wedding. Going around gossiping about people so much, turning on one person after the next."

Phoebe gave her own little snort of annoyance. "Well, as I seem to recall, there was no wedding between you and Ethan....let's see," she said, pretending to think, "oh yes, he dumped you after your engagement party. Remember that?"

Gwen didn't respond, growing angrier.

"Oh, and dear, I got to see a wedding with Ethan in it anyway. Ethan and Theresa Winthrop's wedding, and I have to say, it was quite stunning."

Rolling her eyes, Gwen shot back, "Phoebe, you know you were only there to throw yourself at Ethan, like you do at every other man you see."

Phoebe stared Gwen down with an angry look of her own, smugness tinting the small smile she wore. "Well, at least I don't scare them all away, darling, like you just did with that man you were dancing with. Not even one little kiss, Gwen, and he was gone." She sighed dramatically. "I used to think you were better than that."

Out of the corner of her eye, Gwen spotted the man she had danced with earlier. She looked back at Phoebe. "I'm better than you'll ever be Phoebe, don't ever forget that. And I'll prove it to you."

Determined to demonstrate her worth against Phoebe's, she walked quickly over to where the handsome stranger stood. He turned around and smiled, starting to greet her, when she pulled his head down and planted a heart stopping kiss on him.

Well....? You like? Let me know! Feedback is loved, cherished, adored, all that. LOL =)

Back to Fanfiction Menu