XHTML Tutorial 1 Test Notes
- If computers are close together, the network linking them is called a LAN.
- If a network covers several buildings or cities, it is called a WAN.
- The largest WAN in existence is the Internet.
4. The physical structure of the Internet uses fiber-optic cables, satellites, and phone lines to send data back and forth.
- The founders of the Web developed a system of hypertext documents.
6. The foundation for the Web was laid in 1989 by researchers seeking an information system that would make it easy for their colleagues to locate and share data.
- Documents on the Web are known as Web pages.
- A Web server makes a page available to users of the Web.
- A Web browser is a software program that retrieves the page and displays it.
- Text-based browsers were incapable of displaying images.
11. Graphical browsers can display video, sound, animations, and a variety of other features.
- Web pages are text files written in a language called HTML.
13. A markup language is a language used to describe the content and structure of documents.
14. HTML was developed from SGML.
15. The World Wide Web Consortium has created a set of standards or specifications that all browser manufacturers.
16. Over the years, each browser has added extensions to HTML that support new features.
17. Browser extensions have provided Web page authors with more options, but at the expense of complicating Web page development.
18. A two-sided tag contains a(n) opening tag that tells the browser to turn on a feature and apply it to the content that follows.
19. In a two-sided tag, a(n) closing tag turns off the feature.
20. Closing tags are identified by the slash that precedes the tag name.
21. The text-align style of a header tag instructs the browser whether to center a given header, for example.
22. The portion of a document that Web users will see is contained between the <body> tags.
23. HTML supports six levels of headings.
- HTML formats text only through the use of tags and ignores extra blank spaces, blank lines, and tabs.
25. To add space between paragraphs, you use the <p> tag.
26. A(n) ordered list is used to display information in sequential order.
- If you omit the type attribute from an ordered list, browsers assume you want to create an ordered list using numbers.
- The type attribute for an unordered list can have the disc value.
29. Inline images should be in the Gif or JPEG formats.
30. The technique of placing one element within another is called nesting.