Pope Island Life Saving Station

Located at the Assateague Island National Seashore.

Located 1/4 mile south of the Maryland border, and north of the Assateague Beach Station. The first station was built in 1878. The Life Saving Service left the site in 1965. Also spelled "Popes"


Assateague Beach Life Saving Station

Located in the Assateague National Wildlife Refuge / Assateague Island National Seashore.

Located south of Pope Island Station near the Maryland border, and about three miles south of the Assateague lighthouse. The first station was built in 1875, although the facility was established the previous year. A larger facility was built in 1922. The Life Saving Service abandoned the site in 1956 and given to the Fish and Wildlife Service the following year. The Chincoteague Coast Guard Station can be considered its successor.


Wallops Beach Life Saving Station

Located in NASA's Wallops Island Flight Center.

The station was first built in 1883 and rebuilt in 1936. It was discontinued in 1947.


Metompkin Inlet Life Saving Station

Located on Cedar Island in Accomack County.

Located between the Wallops Beach Station and the Wachapreague Station. Built in 1888, but moverd several times (in 1894, 1914 and 1935) due to beach erosion. It was closed in 1964. Originally spelled "Metomkin"


Wachapreague Life Saving Station

Located on Cedar Island in Accomack County.

Built in 1880 and located between the Metompkin Inlet Station and the Parramore Beach Station. The station closed in 1937.


Parramore Beach Life Saving Station

Once located on Parramore Island in Accomack County.

Located south of Wachapreague Station and north of Hog Island Station. Established in 1883 and rebuilt in 1937. The abandoned facility burned down in 1989. There is a restaurant in Wachapreague that is designed after this station. The Wachapreague Coast Guard Station is considered to be its successor.


Hog Island Life Saving Station

Located on Hog Island in Northampton County.

Built in 1875 but moved in 1878 due to beach erosion. Originally located a half mile from the lighthouse. Located between Parramore Beach and Cobb Island.


Cobb Island Life Saving Station

Located on Cobb's Island in Northampton County.

Built in 1875 and burned down in 1879. Rebuilt in 1880, but due to beach erosion, it was moved in 1896. In its first 40 years, the crew aided 72 shipwrecks. The station closed in 1955. Located between Hog Island and Smith Island.


Smith Island Life Saving Station

Located on Smith Island in Northampton County.


Tower foundations at the site.

Located south of the Cobb Island Station. Built in 1875 adjacent to the old Cape Charles lighthouse. That lighthouse fell to the sea and the current lighthouse was built. Likewise, the life-saving station also moved to the new location. It was closed in 1955 and Cape Charles Coast Guard Station in the town of Cape Charles is considered to be its successor.
A site was proposed on Wise Point at the tip of the Eastern Shore, but later cancelled since the Army built Fort John Custis at that location.

9/10/05


return to port continue tour

1