1. Set up your temporary altar and quarter points. The quarters can be stones or candles but stones have the advantage of not blowing out if there is a breeze.
2. Cast your circle of protection.
3. Undress - remove all jewelry, watches etc and put into a bag. with your purse and other items that are easily lost. (One initiate lost her gold necklace in the woods, it was impossible to find in spite of a thorough search. Luckily it was insured.)
4. Consecrate the circle.
5. Summon the guardians with these words, and don't forget to pause to visualize the element concerned and to think upon the significance of that element for your self dedication:
"Guardians of the North,
sacred spirit of Earth. Into the stillness of your cold dark womb
shall you accept my death, the death of my former self. I bid you
hail and welcome.
Guardians of the East, sacred spirit of air. As the sun rises in the east so shall you guide my rebirth into my new life as a Witch. I bid you hail and welcome.
Guardians of the South, sacred spirit of Fire. You shall be my protector as I go forth from here along my new path. I bid you hail and welcome.
Guardians of the West, sacred spirit of Water. Cleanse my spirit and keep it ever pure from now and into the future."
6. Now for your symbolic
Lie on the floor on your back. You can lie with your head to the altar (North) if you wish to be close to the Goddess or to the East if the principle of rebirth is more important to you.
Recite again those same words:
"I am entering the
stillness before creation
I am entering the ground of the Goddess
May my body be still
May my mind be peaceful
May my heart be ready"
7. Now be at peace; feel the peace of the Goddess flow into you. Feel yourself merge with the cold Earth beneath you. Chant this slowly and quietly:
Dark Mother take me in
Let me be reborn."
Keep chanting until you feel yourself melting into the Goddess.
8. When you feel the time is right get up slowly and begin to walk round the circle chanting the Goddess chant:
"We all come from the
And to Her we shall return,
Like a drop of rain,
Flowing to the ocean."
Walk gradually faster and chant faster round and round the circle. Faster and faster until you get dizzy. Don't stop even then. After a while you'll get tired but you must not stop. Go on the same time again until you drop exhausted on the floor. Why? because chanting and dancing raise power.
9. Lay again on your back
as you regain your breath. As soon as you have your breath back
stand in front of the altar and annoint yourself thus:
Dip a finger in the oil and mark a cross : 1. on the left breast (male or female), 2. on the right breast, 3. Just above the pubic hair. This is the sigil of the first degree, the downward pointing triangle. Say "I annoint myself priest/ess of the old religion, and I take the name (speak your magical name quietly)."
'I, (real name), in the presence
of the forces of Universe and the Divine, do of my own free will
and mind most solemnly swear that I will ever abide by the
religion and science of the Craft of the Wise.
'I shall neither harm my fellow humans with the secrets that I learn nor shall I flaunt my beliefs or powers before them.
'From this day on I shall be reborn as (magickal name) and shall honor, respect and cherish this oath I have taken.'
10. Kneel up in front of the altar. Pour a little wine into the goblet and place it at the front of the altar. Now take your athame and holding it with both hands, pointing down and arms outstretched plunge the blade into the wine. Say:
"As the cup is to the
female so the blade is to the male."
"And so conjoined bring blessedness"
11. Now say to yourself:
"I am reborn. I am a Witch.
I am a Priest/ess."
Rise to your feet and and say as loud as is safe bearing in mind that sound carries: "I AM A WITCH!"
12. Now consecrate the wine and cakes as you have already learned. Take some wine and eat a cake. Close the circle and dismiss the quarters, remembering to thank them. Get dressed and eat and drink some more and remember to keep some back for the libation which you make on the very site of your self initiation before you leave.