Newspapers

 
 
Background
Castle 1
Castle 2
Lithographs
Postcards
Newspapers

Napoleon enthusiastic about Kuckuckstein.
Saxony-Bohemian- French-Society wants to change
the castle into a meeting place.


By Ernst W. Raymund.

LIEBSTADT. Liebstadt, located between Dippoldiswalde and Bad Schandau, is today the smallest town in Saxony.  However, this little town is proprietor of a 1000 year old castle, with an intact drawbridge and apparently very active castle ghost.

 

Despite 20,000 visitors per year, this castle, as many other important castles of the region, is threatened to sink into isolation.  Approximately one million marks are needed for the main rehabilitation of this monument, - for the community, after all, too much.  Now, a society has started in Dresden that will help the castle gain more recognition and will dedicate its efforts toward

closer contacts between Saxony-Bohemia, as well as France.
The Saxony-French-Bohemian-Society of Europe pursues goals that are independent of the use of Schloss Kuckuckstein emphasized the board member, Rainer Hölzer. But in the search for a suitable object with Saxony-Bohemian and also French traditions, the Liebstadt castle literally offered itself.  After all, it was the home of the Saxon General, Carl Adolph von Carlowitz, who fought against Napoleon.  Actually, the Emperor wanted to destroy the home of his opponent, but the beauty of this building enthused him such, that he temporarily made it, in 1813, his headquarters.  The Napoleonic tradition could, Hölzer hopes, free monies from a European fund.
Independent of the societys goal to change the castle into a meeting place, the main aim remains to intensify the cultural connection between Saxony and Bohemia. It would like, in addition, to keep the memory of French influences in the region alive.  This encompasses art and culture in a narrower sense as well as education and international youth meetings.  They thought of Language-Courses, Youth-Exchange and Excursions. A utilization concept will be worked out; in addition the society works on the history of those three countries.

Outline of the main points:
Schloss Kuckuckstein

Kuckuckstein was most likely built as a Knights Castle in 930 under King Henry I and was first mentioned documentary in 1286.  It was owned in succession by the families Wedelbusch, Birkholz and Carlowitz.  The first restorations took place in 1962.
Since 1995 Schloss Kuckuckstein has been the property of the town of Liebstadt and is used regularly as a cultural centre and museum.  The castle is open Wednesdays - Sundays, from 09:30 am to 04:00 pm

 


 

Freie Presse, 29.06.01

1813: Napoleon auf Schloss Kuckuckstein
Traces noticeable even today - Emperor destroyed
painting of his former General Moreau.

By Karl - Peter Fleischer

In late summer of the year 1813 Napoleon I spent many nights at Schloss Kuckuckstein, near Liebstadt in Saxony, expecting a military confrontation with allied troops from Russia, Austria and Prussia.
In the library of the Schloss, the Emperor discovered a painting of the French General Jean Victor Moreau, who served in the Russian Army.  Due to intrigues, the General had fallen out of favour with Napoleon, quite innocently in 1804, and had to leave France.  He took exile in the USA.  When the Russian Czar learned of this he submitted him the offer to serve as General Adjutant in the Russian Army. Moreau accepted.
The new career of the General did not stay hidden from Napoleon.  And now, in front of him, the portrait of his former Comrade-in- arms. The often emotionally acting Emperor, accompanied by the laughter of the soldiers around him, cut the cockade with the blue-white-red tricolore out of the picture. Underneath he wrote: Ce traitre en etoit indigne (This traitor was unworthy of it).
This painting with Napoleons hand writing hung in the Schloss until 1945.  Then it disappeared.  However, a photo of the painting in original size, including the Emperors hand writing, can be admired to this day during a visit round the museum.
It might not be well known, that on August 27, 1813, during a battle near Dresden, General Moreau was so severely injured by a bullet from a French gun, that he died six days later in Laun on the Eger (today Louny).
The Russian Prince, Repin Wolkonski, had a monument erected in1814 in honour of the General, on the exact place where the bullet struck him down.  This honour-monument still stands at the Räckwitzhöhe in the southend of Dresden.

 
1