Canadian Sands Articles

The "Canadian Sands" is a monthly publication containing news of the Byars, Macomb, Lexington, Wanette, Tribbey and Asher areas.  To place articles for publication, make suggestions or place an advertising ad, please call (405) 383-2348 or write Box 143, Wanette, OK  74878.  Subscriptions outside the area are $8 each year.

Beverly Bostick, Editor
John W. Robinson, Advertising Manager

Following are some article's taken from the "
Canadian Sands" which takes an interest in Wanette's history and the people who live there.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 1, No. 6, April, 1997
Page 5

Travis Ray BOONE, WANETTE, has announced his engagement to Melissa Marie CULBERSON, Wilburton. The pair plan to marry on May 10 at the Assembly of God Church in Wilburton. BOONE, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe BOONE, is the brother of Justin BOONE, WANETTE, and the grandson of Georgia BOONE, WANETTE and Mr. and Mrs. Ralph BAKER, Moore. Miss. CULBERSON is the daughter of Linda CULBERSON, Wilburton, and Cletus CULBERSON of Panola. She has two brothers, Brian CULBERSON, McAlester, and Tim CULBERSON, Ada. She is the grandaughter of Virgil CULBERSON, Wilburton, and the great-grandaughter of Della BLANKENSHIP, Norman. The couple plans to live in Stillwater.

Page 6
Early day WANETTE adventurous for future merchant
By Beverly Bostick 

W. E. LAURENT has seen many changes pass through WANETTE in his more than 80 years in the area. Possibly known best as proprietor of LAURENT Hardware, which drew customers from across the country for three decades, LAURENT has had many other functions as well. He helped build roads in the Southern part of the county, served as projectionist for a silent theater in WANETTE and served on numerous boards in the county, including the WANETTE Board of Trustees. As a teenager, LAURENT worked for the county road crew using a rooter plow and dynamite to clear paths for the roadways. “I started in 1927 when I was 17 years old,” LAURENT said. “I worked west of Tribbey where it had never been touched with a grader.” “West of Anderson we got rid of this cottonwood. It was a big cottonwood. It was huge – five feet across or more,” LAURENT said. First the crew tried to pull the tree with a 60-foot cable, but it would not budge. We decided we’d better shoot the thing, with dynamite,” he said. First the crew dug to the bottom of the tree and placed 25 sticks of dynamite at its base,” LAURENT said. “That tree jumped up like this,” LAURENT said, raising one hand to about three feet above the floor and then lowering it,” and it fell right back down in the hole.” Using the machinery he was operating at the time, LAURENT rocked the tree until it fell out of position. “We had 50 sticks of dynamite out there and we had just used half of them,” LAURENT said. “Somebody took eight sticks out for something.” After he finished driving up and back numerous times trying to remove the tree “I looked down and there were 17 sticks of dynamite under me, ground all to pieces.” Clarence AYERS of Tribbey was elected county commissioner in 1925 and hired LAURENT to work for the county. “But it took up too much of his time,” LAURENT said. “He didn’t like to put in too much time out of the store and away from his checker playing.” LAURENT said bridges were sometimes not safe for the heavy equipment he drove. “When I was leery of a bridge not holding it up, I would put it in gear, jump off, run across the bridge and catch it on the other side,” he said. One such bridge proved this was a good idea. “That stuff was too big to damage,” he said. “That was the good ole’ days.”

George BEAL operated WANETTE’s first movie house on the south side of Main Street, LAURENT said. “They tore the thing down during the second World War to get the brick,” he said. LAURENT himself got into the movie business in 1923, working as a projectionist for the Empire Theater. “These were silent movies,” LAURENT said. “They didn’t have talking pictures until 1929. Then it was kind of Mickey Mouse thing.” The opposition – The CORTEZ Theater – was on the north side of the street. “When you said Tom Mix, that brought them in,” LAURENT said. “Brack Jones, Jack Hoxie – when you come up with a western, that brought them in.” The silent versions of “Ten Commandments” and “King of Kings” were also popular, he said. The building was 125 feet long and originally was furnished with cane bottom chairs nailed together in a row, LAURENT said. Later theater seats were installed. “The comedians were out of this world – Harold Lloyd, Snub Pollard and the little guy with the mustache,” LAURENT paused for thought. “Charlie Chaplin.” Admission to the theatre was 20 cents for adults, though some pictures such as “King of Kings” demanded, and got, 75 cents for each ticket.” “Believe it or not, they packed the house” LAURENT said. Films were shown on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, with the same film showing for two consective nights, he said.

Though LAURENT was born in WANETTE, his family lived for a while near King School, south of town. “There was a Methodist preacher, LEE, who had a son and daughter who became school teachers and would walk from here (their home in WANETTE)” to the King School, he said. “They walked some bitter cold days,” he said. “They walked in snow two feet deep. They didn’t know what snow days were.” He said the teachers would sometimes stop to get warm at homes they passed and then continue their journey. “Probably they got all of $50 a month. It might not have been more than $40,” he said. LAURENT said he attended school at WANETTE, except for one year at Martin Hill, where Houston DOUGLAS was the teacher. There was no water well at the Martin Hill school and the nearest source of water was about one-fourth mile away uphill through red clay. Two students would normally be sent to fetch water, sometimes wading mud up to their ankles, he said. “If the bucket went dry, we stayed dry,” he said.

Cotton was a major crop in southern Pottawatomie County during the early years of the century, he said. “When we lived south of town, there was a lot of land being cleared,” he said. “I can remember going out and picking cotton by moonlight to finish out a bale. The land was not cleared then, but in two or three years there were cotton stalks so tall I couldn’t reach the top of them.” There were soon enough cotton to keep four gins busy in WANETTE, he said. “In 1919, after the war was over and things were booming, everywhere you could see was cotton,” LAURENT said. “They let kids out of school to pick cotton.” Eventually pickers were getting as much as $5 for picking cotton that was scattered across the fields “just like a snow bank.” Boll weevils moved in and helped end the reign of cotton as a main crop, he said. One bank paid anyone who would bring in a quart full of the insects, LAURENT said. “In 1929 cotton was worth a nickle,” LAURENT said. “They went to corn then and cotton went out the window.” Cotton made a comeback, however, in the 1930’s, he said.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 1, No. 12, October, 1997
Page 15
Family Gathers (Picture shown)

Myrtle CLOSE, 86, front row left, was the oldest of the 85 people who attended a LAMIRAND family reunion Sept 21, at the KEESEE’s homes west of WANETTE. Her great-grandson Taylor BUCKLES was the youngest family member attending and Mrs. CLOSE tied with Mae COMBS and Linda DIKE for having the most children attending the reunion. One sister, 81-year old Irene VANSCHUYVER of California was unable to attend. Others gathered were, back row from the left, Linda DIKE, 64; Mae COMBS, 72; Loy LAMIRAND, 70; Jeannie HIGHTOWER, 67; and Evelyn MILLER, 78. Joining Mrs. CLOSE in the front row is Serena LAMIRAND, 75. All were born in the WANETTE area.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 3, January, 1998
Page 9
Picturing days gone by in Asher 

(Photo of man and carriage with horse) no year given Jack HULSEY is shown with a horse-drawn wagon that once provided taxi service between Asher and WANETTE.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 4, February, 1998
Page 4
Fun, caring times tops modern bustle
By Beverly Bostick 

Juanita SHANNON may have been, in her words, “raised out in the field on a farm,” but it seems to have prepared her for a variety of experiences as an adult. She has been a wife, mother, airplane builder, apartment manager and school teacher. But Mrs. SHANNON’s Pottawatomie County roots still run deep and seem to keep her connected to the land. She was born Juanita AKER on a farm about one-half mile south of old Pioneer School, the 10th of 12 children born to Rufus and Maggie AKRE. “I never lived outside of Oklahoma and hardly ever outside of Pottawatomie County.” Mrs. SHANNON said. “I never lived very far away.” There was little wealth in Southern Pottawatomie County when Mrs. SHANNON was growing up. “We didn’t feel like we were so poor because everyone else was in about the same shape.” She said. “We were raised to really live on the farm and make the best of it,” she added. Each winter the family would kill enough hogs to provide meat and lard for family use until summer. The use of pork and lard had not yet developed its unhealthy reputation. She added that three of her sisters were still living. “The youngest one is 85, and we were all raised on stuff like that, so I don’t think it’s so bad,” she said with a smile. Mrs. SHANNON says she regrets that today’s children don’t have the opportunities she had to create games and develop their imaginations instead of watching television and having the stories developed for them. “We made our play,” Mrs. SHANNON said, but added with a grin. “We had to go outside to play because if we came back to the house, we would get a job.” Once when the AKRES lived on a farm east of WANETTE, they and some neighbor children found a dead cow in an orchard. “We had a funeral for that cow,” Mrs. SHANNON said. “We all got together and prayed and sang and preached.” She said she was about 6 or 8 years old at the time.

“When the AKRES lived on the SHANNON place near Trousdale, a mad dog came into the feed lot. The children saw it take hold of a calf’s tail, but did not see it bother any other animals, she said. The dog was determined to have hydrophobia and it was killed. The calf was closely watched, but apparently the dog bit only into the hair on the end of its tail and the calf was unharmed. But the dog had apparently bitten other animals, as one cow and a sow and her baby pigs were infected. “That cow reared up on the fence like a dog,” Mrs. SHANNON said. “She reared up on that fence and bawled. Because the cow had horns, it was difficult to get close to it, Mrs. SHANNON said. While the cow was being chased, it fell dead, she said.

There were no televisions or radios, but her family had a Victorla with a large horn for a speaker. “If we’d had sense enough to keep that, theres no telling what that thing would be worth,” she said. Before electricity was available in the 1940’s, Mrs. SHANNON had a radio that would run off the car battery. “We would save that for Saturday night to listen to the Grand Ole’ Opry,” she said.

She was married in 1927 to Charlie SHANNON. “We were just kids,” she said with a smile. SHANNON worked in the oil fields and farmed and they began a family of their own. Mrs. SHANNON bore eight children, with seven surviving to adulthood. “The kids helped, she said. From the time they were big enough to bring in the kindling, they helped.

During the war years of the 1940’s, both Mrs. SHANNON and her husband worked for Douglas Aircraft, where Mrs. SHANNON worked on the flaps, or brakes, of the aircraft. Also during the war years, Mrs. SHANNON taught all eighth grades at Jumper school. “The school board asked me to and they couldn’t find anyone else,” Mrs. SHANNON said. She said she received an emergency certification to be allowed to teach. Among her students was Ruddell “Ted” LEMKE, former head of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. “I guess two or three of them (her students) turned out pretty good,” she said.

While times were not easy for Mrs. SHANNON, she said she is sad for the times gone by. “I lived the history,” she said. “I remember the first cars. We would all come out and climb on the fence to see them go by.” She pointed out that cars had existed for several years, but had not been seen often in southern Pottawatomie county. “I was privileged to have lived in that era,” she said. “When I was young, you could believe people,” Mrs. SHANNON said. “We’ve lost the important things. We don’t have that caring anymore. “People you know will pass you on the street if you have trouble,” she said.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 6, April, 1998
Page 16
Store’s proprietor wants brick back 

Two bricks were pryed and stolden from the sidewalk in front of the WANETTE General store. Persons who took the bricks knew what they were getting. These are not just ordinary theives, these were collectors. The bricks were carried into town by rail and laid about 1906, according to what HINKLE was told by W. E. LAURENT, who operated the hardware store at the same location for several years. Whether or not they were ordered specifically for this building, no one knows,” HINKLE said. HINKLE is offering a $500 reward for the return of the bricks and information leading to the conviction of the thieves, he said.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 7, May, 1998
Page 6
Train brought family to county
By Clyde HENRY 

I came to Oklahoma from Tennessee in 1912 by train. My dad built a board house where Ivy School used to be. We didn’t stay very long there. We went back to Tennessee in a wagon. When we started back to Oklahoma, we got stranded somewhere and George HENRY, my half brother came and got us. George lived across the road from the BOURASSA place west of Asher. There were two houses on the place. We moved in one of them. Later my dad bought the Walter VERTEL place three-quarters of a mile west of the Dan KESLER place. I remember Mr. BOURASSA had long platted hair. The BOURASSA’s were good people. My oldest brother and sister played with two of the BOURASSA boys. I believe their names were Erving and Ewing BOURASSA. My dad had a small store near the oil well on the McGEE place. We later moved it down to where we lived. We lived on the old VESTEL place until 1929.

Oh, yes, I married Nellie BOSTICK in 1929, the prettiest girl available at that time and I still got her. I have lived 68 years with one woman. She is still active in raising house plants and restoring dolls. She has her flower shop and I have my antique clock repair shop. We are 87 and 85 years old and are still plugging along. We live in Canyon, Texas at 1900 6th Ave.

I remember when there was a bank on three corners of the square in WANETTE. BECKNER store was on the other corner. There was a water trough in the center of the square. Other businesses in WANETTE were MOON grocery and SCHOEMANN grocery. FLYNN had the telephone company and BUTLER had the dry goods store.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 8, June, 1998
Page 13
My Hometown
I just got the hometown paper
And my eyes kinda wanted to see,
Once more the streets of my hometown,
Each person, each building, each tree.
I think of my church on t’corner
And the drug store on Sunday eve,
When all the gang is assembled
It’s called Lyle’s now, I believe
And the Cortez theatre on Main Street –
Gee: How well I remember it now,
And the café there on the corner
And the swell times we’ve had there – and how,
I’ll forever remember the school house
Where my happiest days were spent
I’ll never forget what I learned there,
Not even when my back is bent
Now I’ll say hello to each one of “our gang”
“Hiya Faye Marie, Margie and Dee,
And Donnie and Joe and Jamie and Guy,
Hope you’re all feeling well as can be.”
There’s Leona, too, and the rest of the kids,
Both the ones that are still there – and gone,
I wish I could speak to them all person’ly
And I hope to see them all, comes the dawn
So WANETTE News keep our chins up,
Don’t fail us one single week
And I know I am speaking for each boy and girl
That’ve left there, the Victory to seek.

Written by Pvt. Jesse K. McCLELLAN (Kenneth or Sonny)

Editor’s Note: The preceding poem was believed written during wartime 1940’s and was submitted to The Canadian Sands by an anonymous donor.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 10, August, 1998
Page 12 

Area woman still stitching after 15 years (photo) Margaret BERGSCHNEIDER moved to Purcell in 1983. She was invited to join the Retired Senior Volunteer Persons organization and help others with her seamstress talents. Mrs. BERGSCHNEIDER was born in Pottawatomie Co., east of old Moral Cemetery. Her father, H.R. MARTIN, was a teacher in several rural schools, she said. “He retired once and went back during the war when they couldn’t find teachers,” she said. Mrs. BERGSCHNEIDER is the sister of WANETTE area resident Helen STOVER.

Page 12

Fay and Blanche HUDSON held a family reunion July 4 at the home of Jim HUDSON at Lake Tenkiller. The gathering drew 36.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 2, No. 11, September, 1998
Page 15 

Shakespeare, grandson remain top passions of local educator (photo shown.) Times have changed since Grace NEAL first rode horseback daily to get to the schoolhouse where she would teach students in eighth grade levels. The long-time resident of WANETTE spent most of her life guiding youngsters in their most informative years, leading them through their science, English and Shakespeare lessons. Especially the Shakespeare lessons. “I’m crazy about Shakespeare,” Mrs. NEAL said. “As I taught it, I explained it in plain English.” Shortly after she became a teacher, she joined the students on the playground during recess for a game of hide and seek. As she climbed into a ditch to hide, she discovered a member of the board of education standing near her, asking where the teacher could be found, she said, “I said, I think she’s in the school house,” Mrs. NEAL said. As soon as the board member left, Mrs. NEAL used a shortcut to get back to the school building and was sitting at her desk when the board member arrived. She doesn’t earn a paycheck teaching anymore, but she is still guiding young lives. Especially that John Houston LOWERY. “He’s just adorable,” she said of her only grandson. Mrs. NEAL served as worthy matron twice for the WANETTE chapter of the eastern star.

Mrs. NEAL grew up in Pontotoc Co., moved to WANETTE in the 1930’s when she was married to WANETTE resident Raymond NEAL. She was educated at East Central University, Ada, as was her daughter, Cindy LOWERY. Mrs. NEAL previously served on a committee overseen by Pottawatomie County District Judge Glenn Dale Carter to study cases involving children in Pottawatomie and Lincoln Co’s. she is a member of the united methodist church, WANETTE.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 3, January, 1999
Page 3
By Beverly Bostick 

W. E. LAURENT, a long time WANETTE resident operated the Hardware store as LAURENT’s Hardware for more than 30 years. “Some of that stuff’s been around a long time,” LAURENT said on the day of the LANDON’s Hardware sale. “Those horse collars may be some that I left.” Not all items offered for sale over the years would be expected in a modern hardware store. “MUNDY and LIGHTNER (two former owners) kept caskets on the second floor,” LAURENT said. “Of course, caskets weren’t too fancy then.” The hardware store proprietors also had a black horse-drawn hearse available. The competition hardware store, operated by G. A. COLE, also got into the act. “G. A. COLE got a motor-driven hearse,” LAURENT said. “It was the first motor-driven hearse in the country around here.” LAURENT said he did not know exactly how long the horse-drawn hearse was in use by the WANETTE area mourners. “They had a horse-drawn hearse probably until about 1924 or 1925,” he said. The hearse was stored in a nearby shed, which also housed the dynamite sold through the store. “Both hardware stores sold dynamite,” the historian said. “They didn’t have bulldozers then to pull up stumps. They had to use dynamite when they cleared the land.” Over the years, caskets began to be marketed by funeral homes and uses for dynamite diminished. But the variety offered by the hardware store was vast, LAURENT said. “There wasn’t much in the way of cookware back in the 1950’s,” LAURENT said. “Then came Farbreware, Revereware, Ecko and a lot of other housewares.” Cast iron cookware was also popular, added his wife, Veneda, who also worked at the store. The hardware store was popular for last-minute Christmas shopping, he said. “The store was full on Christmas eve every year,” Mrs. LAURENT said. Anything that couldn’t be found on the shelves, such as bear traps, were ordered by LAURENT for his customers. “I even ordered Roy McCLURE 10-gallon syrup buckets – six dozen of them,” LAURENT said. “They had a sorhum mill near Asher,” he added. Mrs. LAURENT said she couldn’t ever remember turning down a customer’s request because it the item was unavailable. “I’m sure there were some but I can’t remember anything,” she said. LAURENT said the hardware store was never robbed. “In fact, it was never broken into very much,” he said. “One reason is that they couldn’t get around so fast back then (for a quick get away),” LAURENT said. “Now they have automobiles.” Then the railroad came. The narrow bridge still spanning the Canadian River between WANETTE and Byars was completed in 1902 to accomadate the train and WANETTE lots were offered for sale in 1903, LAURENT said.

Within the next three years, WANETTE was built, with many builings, including the building that would house many hardware and grocery stores, made of bricks taken from a brick plant then located about three-fourths of a mile west of town.

E. B. MUNDY opened the store in 1906, constructing the building with money from a loan he had secured from Etna Life Insurance Co., LAURENT said. Jim KESLER had sold the lot on which the store was built. “He (MUNDY) operated it until about 1919, then he sold it to a man by the name of WADE and Mrs. Olive NEAL,” LAURENT said. Mrs. NEAL was related to A. C. NEAL, who owned a hardware store in Tecumseh, he said. WADE sold out to NEAL, who sold an interest to Eddie LIGHTNER. “In 1921, it was NEAL and LIGHTNER,” LAURENT said. LIGHTNER took full control in the 1930’s, operating it until 1946, when it was sold to Clarence O. LACY, who worked for an oil company in St. Louis, according to LAURENT. LACY sold the store to W.R. MILLER and LAURENT in Feb of 1951. MILLER stepped out of the picture in 1955 and LAURENT remained the sole proprietor until July 1, 1981, when he sold it to LANDON.

Page 4 
Educator was one-man staff in one-room school of 1930’s
By Beverly Bostick

(Photo shown) – A youthful Fay HUDSON, far right, poses with his students outside the Tarter school where he taught in 1942. Tarter was east of Asher between Gravel Hill and Georgetown – photo courtesy of Glenn Dale CARTER. Ivy School’s staff was pretty extensive for a one-room school in the mid-1930’s. There was a teacher, of course. And there was a janitor, a cook, dishwasher and coach. One man did it all – and got paid $50 a month for the privilege – after walking three and three-quarters miles to school and then the same distance home again after work was completed at the school. Fay HUDSON, whose work on the family farm kept him out of class as much it took him two years each to get through the seventh and eighth grades, spent 40 years in education in a 10-mile area of south Pottawatomie Co.

His years teaching in the one-room schools of Tarter, Ivy and Adell eventually ended and he served 14 years as Superintendent of Asher schools, six years as superintendent at WANETTE schools and 13 years as Principal of both Elementary and secondary schools at WANETTE. He taught all those years, even when he was superintentdent. “I taught science, driver’s education, welding, wood working – I could fill in for just about anybody and I had fun doing it,” the educator said.

During the first year at Ivy, HUDSON taught from free text books provided by Gov. Bill Murray and from what he knew from his own education at Adell Elementary, Trousdale High School and slightly more than two years of college. “The first year, the kids learned what I knew, and that wasn’t much,” HUDSON said. “My second year at Ivy, I got a set of reference books for $25 and the people there thought I was going to bankrupt the district.” There was an average of 2 students from all eight grades attending Ivy and HUDSON’s lessons included regular academics as well as home economics and agriculture. The girls were required to study home economics, so HUDSON taught them how to cook and sew. He helped Valley Nell FUNDIS make a dress with which she won a prize at the county fair. HUDSON said having all the grades in one room was a good teaching system. “When you have more than one class together, they learn better than they do in just one class,” HUDSON said. “They learn from each other and not knowing that they are learning. “They are not forced into it, they just learn,” he said. He told of one time when he was trying to teach a poem to third-graders. His daughter Martha Sharon, now known as Mrs. GRAY to her fourth-grader students at WANETTE schools, was 3 years old and would sometimes take possession of one of the school’s desks during school hours. He said his daughter could recite the poem herself by the end of the day. The hot lunch program started in the mid-1930’s and HUDSON was provided macaroni, brown beans, powdered milk, canned tomatoes, cocoa and crackers with which to provide a noon meal for the students. The first time HUDSON cooked beans fo the students, he put the beans in water to soak overnight – a cup of beans for each child. “We had enough beans for everybody in the community,” HUDSON said.

Money was still scarce in the area and it was a scramble for everyone to survive, he said. “They existed, they didn’t live,” HUDSON said. “They didn’t have running water or electricity – they had outhouses.” “During the depression, if you had anything to eat, you had to raise it,” HUDSON said. Cotton was the main money crop in the area during the early years of the century, with 12,000 bales of cotton shipped out of WANETTE in 1919, HUDSON said. Then the land began to wear out as the depression neared. “Cattle sold for 10 cents a pound,” HUDSON said. “I sold four cows and three calves for $77 back in the depression days. “It beat none, he added. HUDSON was married to the Blanche KESLER in 1938. They have two daughters, Martha Sharon GRAY and LaSaundra FOWLER. Mrs. FOWLER is a secretary at at school in Moore.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 7, May, 1999
[Picture of tombstone on the cover]

On the cover of this issue is the decorated gravestone of longtime Pottawatomie county and Tulsa teacher Mary L. Davidson Robinson born September 8, 1912 died April 24, 1996; Beloved Mother, Teacher, Friend; at the Wanette Cemetery. People across the United States will be remembering heroes of the armed forces and everyday life as they celebrate Memorial Day.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 7, May, 1999
[photo] Pg. 4 

Wedding Planned – Katie Roberts and Heath Jones, both of Wanette, will marry at 7 p.m. June 19 on the lawn at the home of the bride. The bride-elect is the daugther of Mike and Brenda Roberts, Wanette, Jones is the son of Priscilla and Glenn Jones, Wanette. The bride-elect attends East Central University, Ada, and the prospective bridegroom works at Case Construction.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 11, September, 1999
BOATWRIGHT, SLAY marry, page 15

Enoch SLAY, Jr. and Lisa BOATWRIGHT were married Saturday, Sept. 4th, at the First Baptist Church of Lexington, 900 E. Broadway. The bride is the daughter of Eugene and Phyllis BOATWRIGHT. The bridegroom is the son of Enoch, Sr. and Barbara SLAY.

Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 12, October, 1999
[photo of letter] Pg. 3

John Collier, a retired Air Force sergeant sent a letter to the Canadian Sands written by Oscar SETTLES while he was serving for his country during World War I. Mr. Collier hopes to return the letter to Oscar Settles or someone from his family. Settle’s unique way of spelling some words is retained.

July 12, 1918, Wanette, Okla.

Dear Foaks, I will write you a few lines to leat you know that I ame well and hope wen you geat my letter it will fine you all well foaks we get up at 5 o clock drell 250 ours in the morning and go to school in eving at 3 cloak and stay a hower and we eat at 5 o clock and go out and drella hour and a hafe, the worst thing that about the army life is that you haft to shave every day and keep your cloas clean and this is a job out hear for the sand is a site.

Well I wount you all to send me my little razor and strap and brush for I haft to shave every day and it coast me to much to shave. Well we get our other shot to (unknown word) and I gess it will make us sick for a day are to but it will be the last shot we get in this camp.

I ame in the same camp with the boys from Wanette yet but I don’t know how long we will be togather well I will close for this time hoping to hear from home soon from your boy, Oscar Settles.

June Casual Camp
Trainey COUOI
Camp Cady, New Mex 
Canadian Sands, Vol. 3, No. 12, October, 1999
Pg. 7
Ancestors sought in Wanette area
To the editor:

I am researching my husband’s family tree and looking for descendants of ancestors who settled in the Wanette area in the 1890’s. Names of primary interest to me are Bethune, Lambert, Carrell, Russell, Bird and Kesler. Adam (born 1840) and Anna Lambert settled in the Wanette area and raised a large family. Children included Soloman Richard (1865), George Harvey (1870), Rosetta Ella (1873), Joseph Aaron (1877), James H. (1878) and Jessie F. Lambert Carrell Blevens (1887). There were also daughters who married T. H. Skinner, W. H. Skinner and a Mr. Coe. Children of Jessie Lambert Carrell Blevens were Daulton (1905), Wilma (1909), Opal (1910), and Glenn (1913).

I am also looking for descendants of the Rev. George W. and Mrs. Betty Bethune Russell. George was a methodist brush arbor minister until his death in 1900. Their children included Mary Emma (1883), John Henry (1885), Laura Bell (1887) and George Allen, who was born between 1888-1900.

The Bird family included Red and Martha Bird and their children William (1879), Luer (1881), Martha Emma (1885) and Ruby (1887). William Bird’s children included Eva, Thelma and Lennice Bird Meyer. Martha married Louis LaReau. Their children, born between 1904-1915, were Mary, Joseph, Ruth and John.

I would also like to hear from descendants of Henry James (abt 1886) and Mary Ada Bethune Kesler. Their children were Henry James, Daniel D., Bertha, Althea, Lloyd D. and Youtha.

By Pamela Parsons Bethune, 26 Tierra Vista, Plantersville, Texas 77363

If you have any questions regarding the above articles from the "Canadian Sands," please email us here or contact the Editor.