|Saturday, June 14, 2001||Living||L13|
Espresso Chiffon TorteReproduced without permission from Family Circle, July 10, 2001 Issue
Makes: 16 servings at 46¢ each.
Prep: 20 minutes. Cook: 3 minutes.
Chill: about 4 hours.
1. Cut each cylinder cookie crosswise into two 2 3/4-inch-long pieces, for total of 48 pieces. Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Stand cookies on end around inside edge of pan.
2. Beat together cream and vanilla in bowl until stiff peaks form. Cover; refrigerate.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the milk in small saucepan; let stand until gelatin is softened, about 1 minute. Add the ¼ cup sugar and the espresso powder; heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve gelatin. Let cool slightly. Pour into large bowl; refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until slightly syrupy-thick, 20 minutes.
4. Prepare the powdered egg whites with the water following the package directions, using about 9 tablespoons water. Beat in the 2 tablespoons sugar just until the meringue forms soft peaks.
5. Fold the whipped cream and then the meringue into the thickened gelatin mixture until no streaks of white remain. Pour the chiffon mixture into the cookie-lined pan, straightening cookies if necessary. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
6. Unmold torte onto serving platter; carefully peel off the plastic wrap. Garnish, if desired. Slice crosswise with long, thin knife.