YIELD: 8 servings
PREPARATION: 35 minutes plus baking and cooling times
- One 18.25-ounce package lemon cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons lemon curd, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups assorted berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) cleaned and dried
- Chocolate curls or grated chocolate
- Make cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter bottom and sides of two 8" cake pans. Dust pans with flour and set aside.
- Place cake mix in bowl of electric mixer fitted with wire whisk attachment. Add sour cream, water, oil and eggs and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 more minutes. Fold in 3 tablespoons of lemon curd. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35-38 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set pans on wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely.
- Place cream and sugar in clean bowl of electric mixer fitted with wire whisk attackment. Beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold in 2 tablespoons of lemon curd. Refrigerate until needed.
- Assemble cake: Slice each cake in half horizontally. Place 1 layer on cake plate and spread 3 tablespoons lemon curd over it. Spread some whipped cream over lemon curd and top with fruit. Continue layering, ending with cake layer. Spread remaining lemon curd over top. Spread remaining whipped cream and top with remaining berries. Refrigerate until served. Garnish with chocolate curls or grated chocolate.