|Friday, August 17, 2001||Living||L16|
Malted Cheesecake with Chocolate GlazeReproduced without permission from Chocolatier Magazine, March 2001 issue
YIELD: 16 servings
PREPARATION: 1 hour plus baking and cooling times
2. Make chocolate wafer crust: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.
3. In small bowl stir together cookie crumbs and melted butter until well combined. Press mixture evenly over bottom of 10"-by-3" springform pan. Refrigerate crust while you prepare filling.
4. Make filling: In small bowl combine milk and malted milk powder and stir with small whisk until malted milk powder is dissolved. Set aside.
5. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at low speed for 30 to 45 seconds, until creamy. Gradually add sugar in steady stream and beat at medium speed until blended. On low speed add flour and vanilla. Add eggs and egg yolk one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in malted milk mixture. Pour filling into prepared crust.
6. Put springform pan in large roasting pan. Put roasting pan in oven and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up side of springform pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top of cake, except for center, is set. Cheesecake will completely set upon cooling.
7. Remove springform pan from water bath. Immediately run tip of thin flexible knife between edge of cake and pan. (This step will reduce chances of top of cheesecake cracking as it cools.) Place cheesecake on wire rack and allow to cool. Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
8. Glaze and garnish cheesecake: Run thin-bladed knife around edge of cheesecake to loosen it from side of springform pan. Remove side of pan.
9. Remove plastic wrap from chocolate glaze and transfer to medium saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat glaze just until warm.
10. Using metal cake spatula spread warm chocolate glaze evenly over top and sides of cheesecake. Chill for 30 minutes to set glaze.
11. To serve, cut the cheesecake with a sharp, thin-bladed knife; dipping the blade in hot water and wiping it dry after each slice.