YIELD: 12 servings
PREPARATION: 45 minutes plus baking and cooling times
- One 18.25-ounce box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- One 3.9-ounce box Jell-O Chocolate Fudge Instant Pudding and Pie Filling mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Twenty 1½" peppermint patties, such as York, cut into quarters
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3½ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons crème de menthe
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Make cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line bottom of 9"-by-13" pan with parchment paper and lightly spray sides and paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs and cream in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until ingredients are just combined, about 1½ minutes, stopping mixer once to scrape down sides and whisk. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in peppermint patty pieces by hand with rubber spatula, mixing just until candies are thoroughly distributed. Batter will be thick.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with rubber spatula. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Make frosting: Place butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until butter is soft and creamy. Add confectioners' sugar and mix on low speed while adding crème de menthe and milk. Mix on low speed until ingredients are combined and there are no more butter chunks. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat frosting on high speed for 1 minute.
- Run small thin-bladed knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Invert cake onto serving platter or cutting board and peel away parchment paper. Leaving cake upside-down, spread frosting on flat side of cooled cake, spreading frosting just over top of cake.